Zaliukas & Pugh......

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
USA for Leeds
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Re: Zaliukas & Pugh......

Post by USA for Leeds »

isrodger wrote:I felt warnock should return with the reversion to 442. In terms of Z he looked head and shoulders our best central defender, harsh treatment in my view. I honestly think wooton and him will proove our best pairing.
It's a harsh profession. You either perform or you get replaced.
dangermouse
Billy Bremner's barbed-wire salesman

Post by dangermouse »

USA for Leeds wrote:
SiMamu wrote:I think McDermott views Pugh as a pure wing back who can't really play full back, while Warnock is a full back. Warnock's solider defensively and would require less support from Stewart, who didn't really track back a lot.
Another agree.

As for Zaliukas, if you play badly a few games in a row you should sit. I bet he sits two games, comes back and does well again. McD is creating a culture of accountability, which is the key to getting consistent performances. If players think they will start no matter how well they do, they get lazy. I'm glad McD sits players who do poorly.
I agree that if you perform poorly you get benched, problem is though McDermott only applies this policy selectively. Otherwise Austin would not play every minute of every game. Players benched I'm sure would not be happy the rule doesn't apply to everyone.
Deleted User 130

Post by Deleted User 130 »

I'm not sure Zaliukas is sudden;y a zero, like everyone else I think he has showed real class at times but not in the last two games, maybe that was partly due to the bad whacks he took in games prior, very poor challenges both times I seem to recall. Maybe he needed the rest, same with Pugh, who again I agree with everyone on here, he seemed unlucky to be dropped out of the match squad.
DublinLeedsFan
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by DublinLeedsFan »

onenorthernsoul wrote:I'm not sure Zaliukas is sudden;y a zero, like everyone else I think he has showed real class at times but not in the last two games, maybe that was partly due to the bad whacks he took in games prior, very poor challenges both times I seem to recall. Maybe he needed the rest, same with Pugh, who again I agree with everyone on here, he seemed unlucky to be dropped out of the match squad.
Good point, Zaliukas was on the wrong end of some very poor challenges. I didn't see Rochdale, but against the Wendies he was awful... what about that back-heel in his own penalty area? So I can see why he's been left to gather his thoughts a bit. But yeah, earlier on he was a revelation... I'm sure he'll come good again.

Danny P is a bit unlucky to be dropped, but I've always thought Warnock to be a pretty good full-back. Has a lot more presence than Danny IMO. But sure, Danny certainly hasn't been our worst player during the nightmare games... far from it.
"Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel" – Samuel Johnson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7_FcDYh-CY