Investment

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Leonickroberts
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Re: Investment

Post by Leonickroberts »

Seems to be lots of confusion on Twitter about what this means in practice. As I understand it this is a transfer of existing shares from Radrizzani to the 49ers, and as such no new capital is being invested into the club, rather Radz is derisking his remaining shares and recouping some of his previous investments. Not to say it's not an exciting move and evidence of progress, but many fans seem to think this effectively means the club has £50m in the bank for transfers and news stands. Happy to be corrected by one of the many members from the finance sector if I've misunderstood this!
'When he plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints’
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Leonickroberts wrote:Seems to be lots of confusion on Twitter about what this means in practice. As I understand it this is a transfer of existing shares from Radrizzani to the 49ers, and as such no new capital is being invested into the club, rather Radz is derisking his remaining shares and recouping some of his previous investments. Not to say it's not an exciting move and evidence of progress, but many fans seem to think this effectively means the club has £50m in the bank for transfers and news stands. Happy to be corrected by one of the many members from the finance sector if I've misunderstood this!
No, that’s the way I understand it too. Our very own DLW10, has put it out on Twitter quite vocally and he is from a financial background.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Saxon
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by Saxon »

This partnership with 49ers is really taking off. 37% ownership and the 49ers board member at Leeds, Paraag Marathe, now becomes Vice Chairman.
I think we can now forget about Middle East investment.
Mr Marathe quoted as saying "Our involvement right now is to support organizational infrastructure".
What a vote of confidence in Leeds United from one of the biggest sports organizations in the World.
I don't see 49ers just seeing LUFC as a cash cow, because Mr Marathe 'Gets it', listening to him talk he realizes what success means to the supporters and the City.
We crossed the biggest river getting promotion to the Premiership and gave 49ers confidence to increase from 15% to 37%.
They whole 49er organization are really behind us, I even hear stories of the 49ers trainers and backroom staff wearing Leeds shirts.
We all know where we wish to be and should be, and this investment, security, and confidence will help us take it to that next level.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Saxon wrote:This partnership with 49ers is really taking off. 37% ownership and the 49ers board member at Leeds, Paraag Marathe, now becomes Vice Chairman.
I think we can now forget about Middle East investment.
Mr Marathe quoted as saying "Our involvement right now is to support organizational infrastructure".
What a vote of confidence in Leeds United from one of the biggest sports organizations in the World.
I don't see 49ers just seeing LUFC as a cash cow, because Mr Marathe 'Gets it', listening to him talk he realizes what success means to the supporters and the City.
We crossed the biggest river getting promotion to the Premiership and gave 49ers confidence to increase from 15% to 37%.
They whole 49er organization are really behind us, I even hear stories of the 49ers trainers and backroom staff wearing Leeds shirts.
We all know where we wish to be and should be, and this investment, security, and confidence will help us take it to that next level.
Saxon, Are the 49ers involved with any other Clubs or sports other than the American Football team and now ourselves ?
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

The 49ers investment arm is not involved with any other sports team at the moment, although one of the family member did own Pittsburgh Penguins Hockey team for a few years back in the 1990's.I think that was when Mario Lemeux was their superstar player when they were a powerhouse and won the Stanley Cup, the hockey equivalent of the Superbowl. Ted York,the son of the owners, who is 49ers president and who runs them on a day to day basis privately owns Sacramento Republic FC who play in the Western conference of the USL, the second tier of soccer in the US.
From what I can find out so far, the 49ers investment arm,who own 37% of Leeds United, also own Ariana Huffington's 'Thrive Global', you could call it a digital media for 'accelerating cultural direction'. You got me on that one, but Ariana Huffington you may know from the news blog 'Huffington Post' which she co founded and then later sold out to AOL or Google somebody like that. The investment arm also own 'Little Spoon' baby products, I never heard of them.

So 49ers owners Denise DeBartelle York and husband John York bought 49ers in 1977 for $13m. The franchise is now valued at $3.8b, that's billion.
I don't think we are going to be short of a quid or two in the near future.
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

Saxon wrote:...So 49ers owners Denise DeBartelle York and husband John York bought 49ers in 1977 for $13m. The franchise is now valued at $3.8b, that's billion...
Even taking inflation into account, they bought for today's equivalent of just over $58m - wow, some increase on investment.
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
Nic
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Nic »

Leonickroberts wrote:Seems to be lots of confusion on Twitter about what this means in practice. As I understand it this is a transfer of existing shares from Radrizzani to the 49ers, and as such no new capital is being invested into the club, rather Radz is derisking his remaining shares and recouping some of his previous investments. Not to say it's not an exciting move and evidence of progress, but many fans seem to think this effectively means the club has £50m in the bank for transfers and news stands. Happy to be corrected by one of the many members from the finance sector if I've misunderstood this!
Yes, well fans often think like any investment goes into the club. It could be a share issue where new shares are created and the 49ers are purchasing. So the money goes into the club and so effectively Radz owns the same number of shares but it equals a reduced percentage of the club.
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

"Leeds United are pleased to confirm 49ers Enterprises have increased the stake of their minority position in Leeds United. Aser Ventures maintains 56% ownership of the club, with 49ers Enterprises now controlling 44%."

Not sure what exactly what this means regarding recruitment of new players etc except if Radrizzani values us now at £400m like he’s been quoted that to me suggests the 49ers have put £28m into the pot.
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

"Support organizational infrastructure" were the words Mr Marathe used last January when 49ers increased their shares. I see more influence coming from from the the 49ers representative now they are at 44%.
I am expecting a Leeds United pre season summer tour to the United States in the next year or two, with one game obviously in San Francisco.
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Two questions I was hoping someone might answer with all this.

Why are the 49ers investing more money in Leeds ?
Why does Radrizzani need approximately £28m ?

No one else wondered ?