Personal moment

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
LAsouthcoast
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Re: Personal moment

Post by LAsouthcoast »

I was 14 and travelling to the Lake District to stay at Hammerbank Youth Hostel for a week with the school on the day of the 1972 cup final, all the way there I kept saying to the teachers will we be there before the match starts and as we arrived at 1-30pm my joy was short lived as I was told to drop our bags off in reception as we had a walk planned, I couldn`t believe it when they said it would take 2 hours, we did the walk but the teachers had wound me up as I was sat on the floor in front of tv by 2-45pm, when Clarke scored I jumped up only to be knocked flying by a number of my mates, it was all worth when Billy picked up that trophy though. Wonderful times.
PC71
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by PC71 »

Sheff Utd 2-3 Leeds Utd - 26-04-92, weirdest game ever, I was one of many Leeds fans in SU end, only tickets available, that plus Liverpool beating MU later that day and the rest is history.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Got to be playing against Don Revie. The Don had arranged a practise match for Yorkshire Amateur who had reached the fourth round of the old FA Amateur Cup. We played on the Sunday before our match down at Bromley in London the following Saturday. We played on the Fullerton Park training pitch at the back of the main stand. The Leeds team contained a lot of the young lads who were coming through, Madeley, Reaney etc., I was playing centre-forward that season and Don Revie played centre-half for the Leeds team. Les Cocker, the trainer, also played. The Don was talking to me the whole game, giving advice. Absolutely brilliant experience. Topped it off by scoring a goal too!
I once played against Don Revie.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

johnh wrote:Got to be playing against Don Revie. The Don had arranged a practise match for Yorkshire Amateur who had reached the fourth round of the old FA Amateur Cup. We played on the Sunday before our match down at Bromley in London the following Saturday. We played on the Fullerton Park training pitch at the back of the main stand. The Leeds team contained a lot of the young lads who were coming through, Madeley, Reaney etc., I was playing centre-forward that season and Don Revie played centre-half for the Leeds team. Les Cocker, the trainer, also played. The Don was talking to me the whole game, giving advice. Absolutely brilliant experience. Topped it off by scoring a goal too!
What a story that is Sir John :clap: :clap: :clap:
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Otherworld
Billy Bremner's barbed-wire salesman

Post by Otherworld »

Viduka 4, Liverpool 3.
ilkley62
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by ilkley62 »

As someone else said - as a 9 year old kid I loved the 7-0 v Southampton & still watch the highlights every now & again - to pick another one I loved the 4-1 away trip to Anderlecht as well in the CL
Phil147
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by Phil147 »

isrodger wrote:Strachen’s goal vs Leicester
This!!

'Did you ever see a better goal? And did you ever see one better timed?' The immortal words of John Helm... I had to look the match up as I have no recollection of who scored the opening goal, Mel Sterland as it happens but I still don't remember it. I do remember Gary McCallister's equalizer and that ever so familiar sinking feeling of here we go again, we are going to do a 'typical Leeds' and blow it. We could have dropped out of the top 2 that day and it would have all been to much to bear... getting beat at home by bloody Barnsley had put the pressure on and we were up against it. Again...

Then up steps golden Gordon. I was in the south stand that day and behind the goal and as Gordon struck the ball everything seemed to slow down as the ball headed towards the net. He struck it with his left foot, not his cultured right, and by his own admission just swung a foot at it as he was so knackered. Anyway it flew past Hodge in the Leicester goal and the place went mental. I fell against a crush barrier (remember them!!) and ending up nursing bruised ribs for the next couple of weeks but that didn't matter in the moment.

Of course we had the farcial moment where we thought promotion was secured but that turned out to be a false dawn and we had to go through it all again at Bournemouth.

Whenever anyone asks me what is the best goal I've ever seen, I say I can't tell you the best goal I've ever seen from a technical perspective. But I can tell you the greatest goal I've ever seen from an emotional perspective. Gordon Strachan 20th April 1990, 85 minutes? on the clock.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Another highlight for me was winning the league at Anfield back in 1969. Was a dour 0-0 but high on tension a truly remarkable night.
Winner of the Europa League