The best long term player in your time watching Leeds

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: The best long term player in your time watching Leeds

Post by Davycc »

zigzag wrote:Probably an unpopular one, but I really enjoyed watching Harry Kewell, I thought he would go on to be a worldwide star, one of the very best, but injuries took away the edge.

Can't argue with that but the whole thing did leave a bad taste in my mouth, really liked Kewell. Him and JFH the "Men in White"
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

Yeah Kewell was a exciting player. Leeds defo had his best years.

When i first went to watch Leeds I used to like John Sheridan. Tidy player who could pick a pass. Although i didn't go often enough to say if he was consistent.

During the Wilko era it has to be Gary Mcallister for me. Superb passer of the ball. The other Yorkshire Pirlo.

Later on, and on his day Mark Viduka was unplayable. I used to think to myself that this guy would grace any pitch in the world. Immense skill for a big guy.

Current squad i will say Pablo aswell. He is to Leeds what Silva is to City. The instincts he shows can't be taught imo. You either have it or you will never get it. Its a special quality that the best Spanish players have.

Special shout out for Milner from me. If you are looking for a 8-10 player in every game, then Milner is Mr Consistent. Possibly Leeds Utd best export?
yorkfan
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by yorkfan »

Never seems to get much of a mention, but Olivier Dacourt was pure quality in midfield.
Emley White
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by Emley White »

Agree with all of the above from the late 70's onwards when I first started going, I liked Tony Currie, into the 80's it was John Sheridan then later Strachan and McAllister. I loved watching Kewell and Bowyer through the 90's and into the 00's and thought Viduka was a great player. During the not so great years it would have to be Beckford and Snodgrass and Rob Hulse in his short spell here had a good scoring record. For consistency in recent times it has to be Pablo Hernandez. Overall I think Gordon Strachan was the one who stood out for me after I'd gone home and away through all those barren Second Division days - he was the masterstroke from Howard Wilkinson who was amazing to watch and lifted my spirits more than any other and captained us as we got back up to Division One.
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

Started following Leeds during the awful '82 season.
Sheridan in the 80's
Strachan 90's
Lucas 00's
Pablo 10's

Lots of special mentions though... Speed, Gary Mc, Dorigo, Wallace, Martyn (absolute gent).
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

Batty... such an under rated player away from the clubs he represented.
blackpool white
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by blackpool white »

Totally agree, but have to give an honourable mention to Ian Harte, the best free kick taker in the league at the time.

I recall in the final world cup qualifiers in 2001, England had to get a draw against Greece. Beckham had about 10 free kicks just outside the box and missed the bloody lot, we were trailing 2-1 deep into injury time when we got another free kick. Up steps Becks and finally puts one in the net, the country went wild calling him captain bloody marvel.......

.....an hour later Ireland kicked off against Cyprus needing a big win, 3 minutes into the game, they get a free kick, up steps Harte, bang 1-0, the keeper didn't even move......yet no-one created a fuss about that!
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

I argued with my scum supporting brother for years, that Hartey was as better than Beckham at set pieces... We never agreed.
I'm sure I saw somewhere that statistically, he was.
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
Otherworld
Billy Bremner's barbed-wire salesman

Post by Otherworld »

David Batty for me, Leeds United to the core!
blackpool white
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by blackpool white »

kk_white wrote:I argued with my scum supporting brother for years, that Hartey was as better than Beckham at set pieces... We never agreed.
I'm sure I saw somewhere that statistically, he was.
you have a scum supporting brother? you poor thing!

Hope you have had plenty of counselling.

"hello, my name is kk white, and I have a scum supporting brother"