Corners

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Corners

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Apparently we’ve had 116 corners so far this season but resulting in just the one goal. Discuss.
Winner of the Europa League
whitedancer
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Re: Corners

Post by whitedancer »

A lot down to be such a small side
im surprised we haven't conceded more at corners too.
HalifaxWhite
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by HalifaxWhite »

Shocking return.

I don't understand why we even bother playing traditional corners, we know we are not a tall side and extremely unlikely to score from a cross on a corner due to the crowded penalty area and our small team. Why no play short corners more, make a run for the byline and fizz a low one in. Or play short then pass to the edge of the box to let Pablo or Klich have a strike at goal. Continuing to whip crosses is is absolutely pointless IMO.

However this won't happen and things won't change, Bielsa is a purest and does not deviate from his plans as we have seen for some time now even when it is obvious he needs to. Love the guy and what he has done for our club but I believe it is that stubbornness which is the reason he doesn't have the trophies to go with his clearly outstanding managerial skill.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

HalifaxWhite wrote:
However this won't happen and things won't change, Bielsa is a purest and does not deviate from his plans as we have seen for some time now even when it is obvious he needs to. Love the guy and what he has done for our club but I believe it is that stubbornness which is the reason he doesn't have the trophies to go with his clearly outstanding managerial skill.
Or it could be that he takes on projects and Clubs that don't or can't spend millions on top players.
Measuring in trophy's means little very much doubt those winning things such as Klopp, Mourinho & Pepe would be winning European trophy's at lesser Clubs.
MB has done miracles with very little resources everywhere he has been.

It amazes me why we play him when we have fans who could do better ;)

As for corners it is a poor return but don't think its a new thing, we've had issues for a few seasons now. Yes it should be better.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

Corners & i'm guessing Set-pieces can't be far behind. No room for any stoppages in "murder ball" remember. GRRRrrrrrrr. :twisted:

Remarkable tho isn't it? Contrast this to the Monk season. I guess both effective in their own right. Can you have both in the one side? Debatable.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Spain and Barca almost feel like it's beneath them to score from a corner, yet Messi's phenomenal at free-kicks, along with half the Spanish national side.

Only 3% of corners worldwide result in a goal though, but even given that figure, we're currently less than 1% as it stands.