If we go up - transfers

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
HalifaxWhite
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

If we go up - transfers

Post by HalifaxWhite »

I am interested to hear people's thoughts on this subject. I have seen many mentions of the fact most of our players are not what would be considered premier league quality, most eluding to the fact that only Phillips and White are real top notch players in the current squad.

So if we go up. How many players do we replace first season? Go for bust, nice a steady or very little?

My thoughts: firstly I would say last year if asked this question about sheff utd I would have said none of their team are premier league quality except maybe the keeper but look at them now.

On our team while I agree that Phillips and white are our best players and I would say top 6 quality. With that in mind I feel a lot of our first team are premier league quality but maybe not quite top 10 level, alioski, Dallas, Klich, Harrison, Cooper I think all fit into that category.

I don't think the gap between top championship teams and bottom half prem teams is as great as it used to be which is why we don't see much yoyo going on any more, coming down is now very dangerous just look at recent seasons.

I would follow the Sheff utd model for the most part with a couple of top quality additions, mainly CB, attacking mid and maybe a striker.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: If we go up - transfers

Post by Selby White »

Really think we should wait until we are up before discussing summer transfers.
Not criticising your enthusiasm but been a superstitious type I think it's tempting fate and setting us up for a fall.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
judy
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by judy »

Selby White wrote:Really think we should wait until we are up before discussing summer transfers.
Not criticising your enthusiasm but been a superstitious type I think it's tempting fate and setting us up for a fall.
I couldn’t agree more!
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by PhoenixUnited »

My thoughts are that such thinking should be put on ice along with the champagne until we set foot in the Promised Land. In the mean time perhaps we should restrict our sights to issues in the near future like the next months games, January Transfer Window etc. A bird in the hand and all that :think:
Keep The Faith / WAL
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

Haha, I completely agree with everything you've said, HalifaxWhite - right up to where we'd need additions - but I also have to say: let's not jinx it. We're still some way away and we had a thread like this in March and, well, y'know...
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

If reports are accurate, it's not a matter so much of where we finish, it's who the club finishes up in the hands of. If it's QSI then we allegedly will have multimillions available to spend.

Fulham spent £109 million on transfers when they went up, and they came straight back down. As long as we have Bielsa here to oversee transfer policy, I would honestly expect us to spend much less than that and bring in much higher quality players than Fulham managed to. I think I would expect say 10 new signings to the squad with 3 or 4 departures, amicably too :D
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

I feel like closing this thread.

Don't jinx it.

Nothing is a given, not for this club ..
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

rigger wrote:I feel like closing this thread.

Don't jinx it.

Jinxes don't exist, mate, along with fate, luck and the Tooth Fairy :D
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Another Northern Soul wrote:

Don't jinx it.

ANS, glad you didn't include Father Christmas in that. I once heard that he wasn't real, still can't believe it.
I once played against Don Revie.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

johnh wrote:
Another Northern Soul wrote:

Don't jinx it.

ANS, glad you didn't include Father Christmas in that. I once heard that he wasn't real, still can't believe it.
I'm clearly more considerate than you mate, I did consider claiming it but thought it might upset some people :lol: