Best keeper

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.

Best keeper

Poll ended at 17 Jan 2020, 09:12

Sprake
4%
Harvey
13%
Lukic
2%
Martyn
73%
Schmeichel
2%
Robinson
4%
Day
No votes

Total votes: 45

Deleted User 728

Re: Best keeper

Post by Deleted User 728 »

blackpool white wrote:kasper for me, far better than his old man
Seriously ??

:eh:

I'd put Peter Schmeichel in the top 5 of all time along with Banks, Yashin, Buffon, and Neville Southall.
Not to mention Dino Zoff.
Or Peter Shilton.
Or Sepp Maier.
Or Manuel Neuer.

:D

Seriously, top three I ever saw :
1. Southall
2. Schmeichel
3. Shilton
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

I went for Nigel Martyn. Probably Cornwalls best ever player. I believe he still lives locally to Leeds.
blackpool white
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by blackpool white »

rigger wrote:
Seriously ??

wiki wrote: Schmeichel was selected for the Danish squad for the 2018 FIFA World Cup, where he started in three group stage matches. His clean sheet in the opening match contributed to a Man of the Match award and helped Schmeichel set a new record for minutes without conceding a goal for Denmark, surpassing his father's record. During the Round of 16 match against Croatia, Schmeichel was named Man of the Match after saving a penalty-kick taken by Luka Modrić in extra-time and two penalties during the subsequent shootout
Nigel Martyn was a great keeper, dont get me wrong, and I would have voted for him as the keeper who did most for Leeds. given that he played for us for 6 years.....but kasper was something else, I believe he is the only keeper to save 3 pens in one match for his country
Daz5
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by Daz5 »

Who was that keeper we had from Blackpool was it Rachubka or something ...easy the worst
John Dane
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by John Dane »

“All by myself” I’ll go with John Lukic. And I’m NOT name-biased!
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by PhoenixUnited »

blackpool white wrote:
rigger wrote:
Seriously ??

wiki wrote: Schmeichel was selected for the Danish squad for the 2018 FIFA World Cup, where he started in three group stage matches. His clean sheet in the opening match contributed to a Man of the Match award and helped Schmeichel set a new record for minutes without conceding a goal for Denmark, surpassing his father's record. During the Round of 16 match against Croatia, Schmeichel was named Man of the Match after saving a penalty-kick taken by Luka Modrić in extra-time and two penalties during the subsequent shootout
Nigel Martyn was a great keeper, dont get me wrong, and I would have voted for him as the keeper who did most for Leeds. given that he played for us for 6 years.....but kasper was something else, I believe he is the only keeper to save 3 pens in one match for his country
A lot of Kasper's exceptional and remarkable work happened after he left LUFC. With us, he was a decent keeper for only a year before he went to Leicester City. - in 2010?

Overall though - that is a very good crop of keepers to be picking from. :clap:
Keep The Faith / WAL
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Can I give a special mention to our European Cup goalkeeper Dave Stewart.
He was superb in the 1975 semi keeping out Cryuff and his cronies.

Still big Nigel is the best I've seen playing for Leeds, great list though.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

David Harvey for me but special mention to Nigel Martyn who can be on the bench for the team.
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

I've only watched Martyn and Robinson play, particularly Robinson; so I went with him. And also because I've had many an argument where I've stated that Robinson's England career fell away because it was easier for him to be the fall guy than the Man Utd captain and right back.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
ilkley62
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by ilkley62 »

Harvey for me (was he voted best keeper at the 74 World Cup or am I making that up?) with Martyn a close second