New Kit Deal

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Deleted User 728

Re: New Kit Deal

Post by Deleted User 728 »

You're entitled to your opinion.
I've stepped back from directly conversing with you too, as I'm sure you're all too aware, but that comment about Reaney in the other thread really rankled me and I want to know what you meant by it.
I don't really care what you think about grown men who take an interest in football kits because I'm sure you'll mention Subbuteo at some point and I've heard that scratched record a few times now.

I do want to know what you meant about Paul Reaney though, so why don't you answer me that, directly, in here because I really am curious ?
psquithy
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by psquithy »

I do want to know what you meant about Paul Reaney though
Me too
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

The older guys may be able to recall the story better. Indeed at the centenary dinner Reaney himself made reference to him not being liked by the other players (not wishing to sit with him).

To add a bit of context - Reaney if you haven’t met/ seen him is larger than life, a good orator, a bit of a comedian. I initially thought the reference he made was self deprecating, and a reference to him possibly being a bit of a pain (being a joker) & he was the sole Londoner. However, evidently (a couple of older fans told me) he genuinely wasn’t liked & there had been “rumours” (and they may not be true) that there had been a big fall out over a card school & Money going missing.

Again I reiterate, no offence boys !! However the likes of ANS & NW might shed more light on this - as the Revie years were before my time! And it was very much news to me when I heard it.

On the subject obviously Sprake became a pariah after exposing Revies alleged corruption when corroborating the daily mirrors story.
Last edited by isrodger on 23 Jan 2020, 19:27, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Good, I'm glad you cleared that up, but why say something about it then ignore requests to expand on it in the first place ?
It just makes you come across as aloof and a bit of a know-all, like you're dangling yet more insider knowledge with the rest of us in the dark.

No offence ;)
isrodger

Post by isrodger »

rigger wrote:Good, I'm glad you cleared that up, but why say something about it then ignore requests to expand on it in the first place ?
It just makes you come across as aloof and a bit of a know-all, like you're dangling yet more insider knowledge with the rest of us in the dark.

No offence ;)
I actually didn’t see your request for that genuinely ... just the jack Clarke (discipline) info... maybe I was off the thread for a few days and only picked up on the last post, hence didn’t see your question. Incidentally I genuinely would ask the older chaps their opinion of Reaney.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

isrodger wrote:The older guys may be able to recall the story better. Indeed at the centenary dinner Reaney himself made reference to him not being liked by the other players (not wishing to sit with him).

To add a bit of context - Reaney if you haven’t met/ seen him is larger than life, a good orator, a bit of a comedian. I initially thought the reference he made was self deprecating, and a reference to him possibly being a bit of a pain (being a joker) & he was the sole Londoner. However, evidently (a couple of older fans told me) he genuinely wasn’t liked & there had been “rumours” (and they may not be true) that there had been a big fall out over a card school & Money going missing.

Again I reiterate, no offence boys !! However the likes of ANS & NW might shed more light on this - as the Revie years were before my time! And it was very much news to me when I heard it.

On the subject obviously Sprake became a pariah after exposing Revies alleged corruption when corroborating the daily mirrors story.
I asked you about it as well ISR, so thanks for finally responding. I wouldn't mind you explaining who you allege is this sinister clique too ;)

Definitely not shooting you as the 'messenger' here ISR, but I think most of what you were told or what you felt Reaney was implying isn't right. I 100% don't believe there were any long-run fall-outs involving any player but Sprake, and that was after he left Leeds. I'll come back to him in a minute.
If Reaney was unpopular with his former teammates then he wouldn't have been invited to or helped organise the countless fund raising and after-dinner events and ex-players' dos and charity functions. He just wouldn't. And Paul was, I believe, the man given the 'job' of looking after the players' finances etc whenever they were paid appearance fees etc for events. He's notorious for being 'careful' with the money but I genuinely never heard of anything about card schools etc, except for Terry Hibbitt and a fire at half-time at Forest v Leeds in the late 60s. I'd be shocked though if fall-outs don't happen amongst regular card schools but no way would any ill feeling last more than 50 years where Reaney's concerned.

There IS something that has caused a bit of kerfuffle amongst the Revie boys but it's nothing to do with dishonesty, it's to do with certain players being taken advantage of by memorabilia collectors, selling autographed stuff on ebay after asking the players to sign them. I do know that PR and Sniffer had had enough and expressed their anger at such a cheap stunt - I've seen it, I've spoken about it and, this is the important thing, I was told by someone at the club too. Reaney apparently was very vocal about it and I think he might have upset some special guests at one match. As a result, Reaney was uninvited by the club as pre-match corporate entertainment etc etc. I reckon that that's what his comment at the centenary dinner was about.

Sprake didn't want to leave. He was an idiot with his money and a big reason I believe he didn't want to leave was that he would miss out on a testimonial season. Even though his transfer fee to Brum was a world record for a 'keeper (it was £100k anyway) and he would have probably got 10% of that, he was bitter to miss out on a testimonial. The Daily Mirror, Richard Stott I think the guttersnipe was called, offered Sprake a few grand to dish any dirt on Don Revie.

Like many other fans, I've met Paul Reaney loads of times and had good chats with him. I always find him to be very funny, and he loves to spar with folk too (as well as kiss your girlfriend or wife :lol: ) but I'm certain he wouldn't know who I am. I was lucky enough to be at the Freedom of the City event in December, and PR and lots of the Revie boys were there too. He 100% is not being cold-shouldered by the ex players but I do think his relationship with the club is still a bit frosty. Less so for Clarkey but nonetheless, he hasn't been flavour of the month for a long time. As far as I know, those two would do anything for Leeds fans but they have also been stung by people taking advantage, and that's where I think any rumour about bad feeling/money stems from.

In my not so humble opinion, I do not see ANY chance of those players falling out amongst themselves unless it was something similar to what Sprake did ie lied about the 'family'. And Reaney def wasn't an odd one out in the 60s, they were a band of brothers... but all happy enough with their own company at times I bet.

And none of this is getting at you, ISR :angel:
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

isrodger wrote:
rigger wrote:Good, I'm glad you cleared that up, but why say something about it then ignore requests to expand on it in the first place ?

No offence ;)
I actually didn’t see your request for that genuinely ... just the jack Clarke (discipline) info... maybe I was off the thread for a few days and only picked up on the last post, hence didn’t see your question. Incidentally I genuinely would ask the older chaps their opinion of Reaney.
I'm 54, this is depressing being viewed as one of the older chaps :lol:
isrodger

Post by isrodger »

Another Northern Soul wrote:
isrodger wrote:The older guys may be able to recall the story better. Indeed at the centenary dinner Reaney himself made reference to him not being liked by the other players (not wishing to sit with him).

I asked you about it as well ISR, so thanks for finally responding. I wouldn't mind you explaining who you allege is this sinister clique too ;)

Definitely not shooting you as the 'messenger' here ISR, but I think most of what you were told or what you felt Reaney was implying isn't right. I 100% don't believe there were any long-run fall-outs involving any player but Sprake, and that was after he left Leeds. I'll come back to him in a minute.
If Reaney was unpopular with his former teammates then he wouldn't have been invited to or helped organise the countless fund raising and after-dinner events and ex-players' dos and charity functions. He just wouldn't. And Paul was, I believe, the man given the 'job' of looking after the players' finances etc whenever they were paid appearance fees etc for events. He's notorious for being 'careful' with the money but I genuinely never heard of anything about card schools etc, except for Terry Hibbitt and a fire at half-time at Forest v Leeds in the late 60s. I'd be shocked though if fall-outs don't happen amongst regular card schools but no way would any ill feeling last more than 50 years where Reaney's concerned.

There IS something that has caused a bit of kerfuffle amongst the Revie boys but it's nothing to do with dishonesty, it's to do with certain players being taken advantage of by memorabilia collectors, selling autographed stuff on ebay after asking the players to sign them. I do know that PR and Sniffer had had enough and expressed their anger at such a cheap stunt - I've seen it, I've spoken about it and, this is the important thing, I was told by someone at the club too. Reaney apparently was very vocal about it and I think he might have upset some special guests at one match. As a result, Reaney was uninvited by the club as pre-match corporate entertainment etc etc. I reckon that that's what his comment at the centenary dinner was about.

Sprake didn't want to leave. He was an idiot with his money and a big reason I believe he didn't want to leave was that he would miss out on a testimonial season. Even though his transfer fee to Brum was a world record for a 'keeper (it was £100k anyway) and he would have probably got 10% of that, he was bitter to miss out on a testimonial. The Daily Mirror, Richard Stott I think the guttersnipe was called, offered Sprake a few grand to dish any dirt on Don Revie.

Like many other fans, I've met Paul Reaney loads of times and had good chats with him. I always find him to be very funny, and he loves to spar with folk too (as well as kiss your girlfriend or wife :lol: ) but I'm certain he wouldn't know who I am. I was lucky enough to be at the Freedom of the City event in December, and PR and lots of the Revie boys were there too. He 100% is not being cold-shouldered by the ex players but I do think his relationship with the club is still a bit frosty. Less so for Clarkey but nonetheless, he hasn't been flavour of the month for a long time. As far as I know, those two would do anything for Leeds fans but they have also been stung by people taking advantage, and that's where I think any rumour about bad feeling/money stems from.

In my not so humble opinion, I do not see ANY chance of those players falling out amongst themselves unless it was something similar to what Sprake did ie lied about the 'family'. And Reaney def wasn't an odd one out in the 60s, they were a band of brothers... but all happy enough with their own company at times I bet.

No thanks for that ... it was the first i had heard of so ha ho. As regards Clarke I have always felt he was box office. Of all the players I have met, he’s probably the most outspoken & passionate about the club and its fans.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

isrodger wrote:

No thanks for that ... it was the first i had heard of so ha ho. As regards Clarke I have always felt he was box office. Of all the players I have met, he’s probably the most outspoken & passionate about the club and its fans.
Yes, great description, Sniffer is most 'box office' though every single one of them is ace in his own right when in conversation etc, but that might be just because it's my era and I'm biased. I do believe they all care very much about the club.
isrodger

Post by isrodger »

isrodger wrote:

Yes, great description, Sniffer is most 'box office' though every single one of them is ace in his own right when in conversation etc, but that might be just because it's my era and I'm biased. I do believe they all care very much about the club.
When I was was a schoolboy I rang up the club and asked to speak to the manager. It was post season, Leeds had been relegated and Clarke’s assistant Martin Wilkinson had been sacked. I was on the phone to him for what seemed an age. He explained the signings that weren’t made in the pervious season; Gary Thompson from Coventry ... then Andy Gray - we desperately needed a centre forward to feed off Harris, Barnes & Graham (something’s don’t change). He then went on to tell me about seaman coming through ... I also think he’d identified Sheridan (could be wrong) He then told me he was hoping the club would back him in signing Peter Reid from Bolton & Kevin Sheedy from Liverpool.

To this day I thought it was a mark of the man to spend so much time talking to me. Gutted he was sacked but more so when Eddie left.