New Kit Deal

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: New Kit Deal

Post by Another Northern Soul »

As managers, Clarke, Gray and Bremner were all let down by the board. As of course was Giles who was given the job to replace Don but then they changed their minds and brought bloody Clough in.

Clarke was especially let down by the Garry Thompson deal collapsing, which TBF wasn't our board's fault really - Sexton had recently taken over at Coventry and he ordered GT be retained. GT definitely would have saved us, but only because we played the old 'cross it to the big lad up front who either scores or knocks it down for his strike partner to score.'

Apparently, I read recently that England winger Peter Taylor was all set to sign for us too, around 1975 I think, after Revie had 'discovered' him for England. I do know we'd been tracking Reid for a long time but never saw the deal through, probably down to money again I bet. He was in the England set-up too, though never made it to the seniors unless I'm mistaken. He was hot property, I've read some of the Cocker/Revie dossiers :D
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Re: New Kit Deal

Post by isrodger »

Another Northern Soul wrote:As managers, Clarke, Gray and Bremner were all let down by the board. As of course was Giles who was given the job to replace Don but then they changed their minds and brought bloody Clough in.

Clarke was especially let down by the Garry Thompson deal collapsing, which TBF wasn't our board's fault really - Sexton had recently taken over at Coventry and he ordered GT be retained. GT definitely would have saved us, but only because we played the old 'cross it to the big lad up front who either scores or knocks it down for his strike partner to score.'

Apparently, I read recently that England winger Peter Taylor was all set to sign for us too, around 1975 I think, after Revie had 'discovered' him for England. I do know we'd been tracking Reid for a long time but never saw the deal through, probably down to money again I bet. He was in the England set-up too, though never made it to the seniors unless I'm mistaken. He was hot property, I've read some of the Cocker/Revie dossiers :D
Your spot on Re Thompson. I seem to remember Reid was a bit of a contract rebel at Bolton he was on £1k per week ... big money in those days. He would leave for £55k peanuts considering we’d just paid circa £1m for Peter Barnes. I was on a trial at Leeds when he signed (got off thankfully :lol: ), same week batty signed school boy terms.

Never heard the Taylor story before but probably a bit before my time. In terms of centre forwards Clarke tried to get them all in - Fashanu, Michael Robinson, Thompson, Gray, Latchford and then end up with Frank.

One other snippet from Sniffer, we had agreed to re sign Jordan from scum, all agreed and then Milan came in for him.