"Big Kev"

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Deleted User 728

"Big Kev"

Post by Deleted User 728 »

I was listening to the Euro edition of The Totally Football Show this morning, presented by James Richardson.
Of all the football podcasts, I find it to be consistently excellent, not just in analysis and how thoroughly they dissect what's happening in England with their daily show, in Europe with the Tuesday edition and in the EFL with The Totally Football League Show, but because they don't pander to the masses. They assume the audience is intelligent and they're capable of talking around the game about politics, economics, life and death, etc rather than the usual hyperbollocks kneejerking you might find elsewhere.

This edition featured the always excellent Julien Laurens talking about Ligue 1 and Richardson asked him about Jean-Kevin Augustin.
You can listen to the show here - go to the 53:40 mark to pick up the conversation :

https://www.thetotallyfootballshow.com/ ... metaphors/

In summary, he says he's a big talent but his attitude can let him down. He was at PSG but left for RBL before being loaned to Monaco due to a surfeit of strikers at Leipzig. The German football expert Rafa Honigstein adds that he's perhaps best as a second striker but also says he has been working on his hold-up play to allow him to play as a lone frontman. He's curious to see where Bielsa will play him : in a two with Bamford or on his own. He's very good technically and has great vision, too.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: "Big Kev"

Post by Selby White »

Thanks for posting Rigger, its interesting to hear how he is looked upon by those that know rather than just a two minute video of his best bits.
Need to go out now but will enjoy checking this out later.

I do like the fact though that we are signing what looks like exciting talent at a good age (still things to learn at 22 but approaching the best years) and not looking at old journeymen.
I believe in coaching and you don't employ one of the great coaches and give him nothing to improve.
Love the way our club is going about things :thumbup:
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

What I love is Bielsa's confidence in his own ability to improve players.

It reminds me of Brian Clough and what he said about Glenn Hoddle, who he nearly signed for Forest at point.
If you think about, say, Birtles, Bowyer and O'Hare from his teams and how relatively poorly they fared when they played elsewhere out from under Clough's wing, I think the parallel with Bielsa and how he's dramatically affected the squad here in the last eighteen months really stands out.

It's like once he's decided you have the right qualities for him to work with you, it's down to how much you want to sign up to what he does.
Imagine Hoddle with a work ethic and less of an ego ?
He'd've been the best player in the world ..
Leicester White
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by Leicester White »

I love Glenn Hoddle - I worked with his Dad Derek and his brother Carl in Harlow... from what I heard, he did all the right things for his family. I wonder if he'd've been half of the player if he'd tried to track back and be tough tackling. I'm pretty certain he would have got over 100 caps if his nationality was anything other than English where some England managers preferred Peter Reid's fist-clenching or Ray Wilkins' square ball passing! I don't remember Clough's view on Hoddle, but guessing it's not the one that came up on a google search below?
Brian Clough described Glenn Hoddle, the outrageously gifted player, accurately when declaring, “It takes moral courage to play the way Hoddle does”. Or perhaps John Cryuff defined his skills most succinctly by once saying, “He played football the way I wanted to see it played.”
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Leicester White wrote:I love Glenn Hoddle - I worked with his Dad Derek and his brother Carl in Harlow... from what I heard, he did all the right things for his family. I wonder if he'd've been half of the player if he'd tried to track back and be tough tackling. I'm pretty certain he would have got over 100 caps if his nationality was anything other than English where some England managers preferred Peter Reid's fist-clenching or Ray Wilkins' square ball passing! I don't remember Clough's view on Hoddle, but guessing it's not the one that came up on a google search below?
Brian Clough described Glenn Hoddle, the outrageously gifted player, accurately when declaring, “It takes moral courage to play the way Hoddle does”. Or perhaps John Cryuff defined his skills most succinctly by once saying, “He played football the way I wanted to see it played.”
Sorry if this bores anyone but it's worth a mention. First off, I always preferred Tony Currie to Glenn, I just thought he was a better all-round player when at Leeds, and I think Hoddle benefited from being at a London club while TC was oop north. I recently read one of the dossiers that Les Cocker had written for Don Revie as England boss, it was Spurs v someone else. Les praised Hoddle along the lines of 'undoubted and great talent' and he did alright in the end didn't he? :D I remember TC basically showing Brazil how to play with flair, at Wembley, but then he was possibly dropped for the next game! A good bank of a midfield needs a combination of various qualities, like Bryan Robson's steel, Reid's leadership maybe, Wilkins' 'tidying' up, Hoddle's vision, Barnes' creativity/trickery etc etc, but other flair players like Le Tissier for example, just didn't seem to have enough in their armoury as far as the managers were concerned. Before them were so many good but not (IMHO, or the England bosses' at the time), great midfielders/attackers: Bowles, Hudson, Weller, Marsh, George, even Frank Worthington. I think Currie suffered from the similar 'poster boy' image which seems unfair to me but heyho, while Hoddle managed to rise above it a fair bit.

I always felt Hoddle as England boss said something very stupid but was taken to the cleaners about it rather than allowed to explain his comments (about disabled people, I think it was)... the media were after his blood, making him out to be some sort of devil, it was ridiculous. The FA cocked things up yet again by letting him leave, weak as ever and the press were yet again, quite disgraceful IMO.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Apologies for going off topic but just promoting other areas of the forum some newbies (and oldies) may be interested in.

We run quite a number of games/competitions on the forum for fun which a good few regulars really enjoy (I'm certain they would all tell you its a good challenge). Its all part of keeping the forum interesting and fun for all.

One such game type is the regular Gamble Games and we have a new one starting on Saturday (Gamble FA Cup) and all members are more than welcome to join in.

Details can be found in the Quiz/Games section of the forum.

http://www.lufctalk.com/forums/viewtopi ... =13&t=6018

If interested :-
All you need to do is place your bets on the thread before KO in the first match shown. Then of course when you get through look out for the next round.

Any Questions please ask :thumbup:
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

This is a really interesting signing, the lad appears to have had a positive impact without kicking a ball. The signing; dare I say it has Cantona written all over it!

Clearly lad has talent and is a cut above most others in the championship. The critical thing will be how he adapts and his attitude.

In terms of this season, with him being new and us hopefully having momentum to turn this into an ultimately successful season, I can see him having a sensational impact providing he is afforded the opportunity to play.

If we go up then the £20m fee will be justified. The following season who knows. It is reported the lad suffers from indiscipline off the field, not a good trait when your manager is bielsa! I have a feeling our relationship as fans will be an emotional rollercoaster. Let’s hope he and the team grow together over the next few years, rather than it ending in a bitter divorce a la Eric.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

isrodger wrote: It is reported the lad suffers from indiscipline off the field, not a good trait when your manager is bielsa! .
Not sure it's a good trait whoever your manager is.

Out of interest where have these off the field issues been reported and what were they?
Can't say I've read it anywhere.
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

Selby White wrote:
isrodger wrote: It is reported the lad suffers from indiscipline off the field, not a good trait when your manager is bielsa! .
Not sure it's a good trait whoever your manager is.

Out of interest where have these off the field issues been reported and what were they?
Can't say I've read it anywhere.
There have been a few reports ... I have cut & pasted one below (not sure how to upload properly)

Additionally one always has to question how a lad who was playing in Monaco adapts to wether in Leeds etc particularly when you look outside today!!! I ribbed my mates who support Huddersfield that Kongola signed to play in the premiership not to play for Town. So despite positive noises from the lad; there’s always got to be a degree of concern Re that with a player of his undoubted talent.

Additionally the only other concern I have about him LONG TERM. Is he is clearly a better player in my opinion than Che Adams. So ... if I’m right, all things being equal .... why didn’t effectively RH do a back to back deal and take him to Southampton.

Report from Germany below....

“He came to Leipzig a bit of a precocious talent and he turned out to be more problematic than the club had hoped,” Thorogood said.

“He was brought in on a really big deal at the time from PSG and he came in with a bit of an ‘I’m too big for my boots’ feel about him.

“Leipzig tried to give him a chance and to ground him and, let’s be honest when he was out on the pitch he looked like an out-and-out goalscorer, but off the pitch there was what the club referred to as discplinary issues – he was late for training, things like that.

“Leipzig are quite a strict club and Augstin never really got on board with how they were.

“I think if he gets the full backing of club and fans, I think that’s what Jean-Kevin Augustin needs to get the most out of him.

“It’s good business for Leipzig but if he lives up to his potential, he’s a player who could be worth a lot more than €21m.”
Leicester White
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by Leicester White »

Another Northern Soul wrote:
Leicester White wrote:I love Glenn Hoddle - I worked with his Dad Derek and his brother Carl in Harlow... from what I heard, he did all the right things for his family. I wonder if he'd've been half of the player if he'd tried to track back and be tough tackling. I'm pretty certain he would have got over 100 caps if his nationality was anything other than English where some England managers preferred Peter Reid's fist-clenching or Ray Wilkins' square ball passing! I don't remember Clough's view on Hoddle, but guessing it's not the one that came up on a google search below?
Sorry if this bores anyone but it's worth a mention. First off, I always preferred Tony Currie to Glenn, I just thought he was a better all-round player when at Leeds, and I think Hoddle benefited from being at a London club while TC was oop north. I recently read one of the dossiers that Les Cocker had written for Don Revie as England boss, it was Spurs v someone else. Les praised Hoddle along the lines of 'undoubted and great talent' and he did alright in the end didn't he? :D I remember TC basically showing Brazil how to play with flair, at Wembley, but then he was possibly dropped for the next game! A good bank of a midfield needs a combination of various qualities, like Bryan Robson's steel, Reid's leadership maybe, Wilkins' 'tidying' up, Hoddle's vision, Barnes' creativity/trickery etc etc, but other flair players like Le Tissier for example, just didn't seem to have enough in their armoury as far as the managers were concerned. Before them were so many good but not (IMHO, or the England bosses' at the time), great midfielders/attackers: Bowles, Hudson, Weller, Marsh, George, even Frank Worthington. I think Currie suffered from the similar 'poster boy' image which seems unfair to me but heyho, while Hoddle managed to rise above it a fair bit.

I always felt Hoddle as England boss said something very stupid but was taken to the cleaners about it rather than allowed to explain his comments (about disabled people, I think it was)... the media were after his blood, making him out to be some sort of devil, it was ridiculous. The FA cocked things up yet again by letting him leave, weak as ever and the press were yet again, quite disgraceful IMO.
Great post... don't get me wrong - Tony Currie was my favourite player right up until Battie & Strachan came along - I went to junior school with his niece, Lisa Andrews, and even managed to get an admiral replica shirt through her family connection, eventually! Anyone who saw this goal on Match of The Day will surely never forget this goal of the season... even with a lighter ball these days, I can't recall a shot curled more than this and so accurately https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATNToLaLXck

I felt Hoddle should've been picked more after the hay day of the great players you mention when all I recall with that touch of genius and eligible for England was Hoddle, Waddle, Gazza, Barnes and Beardsley - I'd've picked them all with Linekar and hoped to score 1 more than the oppo!