"Big Kev"

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: "Big Kev"

Post by Selby White »

isrodger wrote:
Selby White wrote:
isrodger wrote: It is reported the lad suffers from indiscipline off the field, not a good trait when your manager is bielsa! .
Not sure it's a good trait whoever your manager is.

Out of interest where have these off the field issues been reported and what were they?
Can't say I've read it anywhere.
There have been a few reports ... I have cut & pasted one below (not sure how to upload properly)

Additionally one always has to question how a lad who was playing in Monaco adapts to wether in Leeds etc particularly when you look outside today!!! I ribbed my mates who support Huddersfield that Kongola signed to play in the premiership not to play for Town. So despite positive noises from the lad; there’s always got to be a degree of concern Re that with a player of his undoubted talent.

Additionally the only other concern I have about him LONG TERM. Is he is clearly a better player in my opinion than Che Adams. So ... if I’m right, all things being equal .... why didn’t effectively RH do a back to back deal and take him to Southampton.

Report from Germany below....

“He came to Leipzig a bit of a precocious talent and he turned out to be more problematic than the club had hoped,” Thorogood said.

“He was brought in on a really big deal at the time from PSG and he came in with a bit of an ‘I’m too big for my boots’ feel about him.

“Leipzig tried to give him a chance and to ground him and, let’s be honest when he was out on the pitch he looked like an out-and-out goalscorer, but off the pitch there was what the club referred to as discplinary issues – he was late for training, things like that.

“Leipzig are quite a strict club and Augstin never really got on board with how they were.

“I think if he gets the full backing of club and fans, I think that’s what Jean-Kevin Augustin needs to get the most out of him.

“It’s good business for Leipzig but if he lives up to his potential, he’s a player who could be worth a lot more than €21m.”
Thanks for posting ISR,
I'm a big believer in discipline so fingers crossed he will have grown up and learned from his experiences.

I'm also a believer that different players respond better to different coaches (bit like Gazza with Bobby Robson), lets hope MB is the one that can help JKA reach full potential. If so we could have a real diamond on our hands.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
hashtagleedsunited
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Re: "Big Kev"

Post by hashtagleedsunited »

Just like any new signing, Jean-Kevin Augustin appears to have won the hearts and minds of the faithful even before he has kicked a ball, as the fans ‘favourable reactions to his comments on social media suggest.

One could even go as far as to imply that his presence on our books was a factor on the magnificent turnaround on Tuesday night.
Perhaps he has injected a positivity almost the squad, and a belief that we were not going to duplicate our failures from last season.

Sport - and football in particular – is affected by the notion of confidence, and in this, the most challenging of all leagues, it has a huge bearing on net results and final positions.
Self- belief and faith will get us over the line this time.

If Augustin puts everything he can on the pitch whilst playing for Leeds; and remains passionate and extol the virtues of having an emotional attachment to the club, then he could be a star signing for us.
:clap:

However, the realist in me wants to see the results of this great signing :think:
I am not trying to be cynical nor deprecate his addition to the squad. The opposite in fact.

We were all clamouring for a striker, and we got one. Is it the right one? Only time will tell of course, just as during a match a manager decides on a swift and tactical move and is praised if the result goes their way; yet leaves the fans lamenting the change if things don’t pan out well.

All things being equal, and with some of the January fees (I will not mention specifics) being vastly over-inflated, he appears to be a sensible option, and dare I say it, an astute choice.

If he has come here to help manage any discipline issues which he possesses, and become a better player, he has come to the right place (and the perfect manager) but he must also reciprocate, not only by saying the right stuff on social media, but to actually improve the results for the team and the club, on the pitch.

Let’s hope he walks the walk. He has an opportunity to raise the hopes expectations of the club, and if he succeeds in this purpose, he will be doing himself a good favour too.

He states that he “wanted to go somewhere where I was going to play, get minutes and have clear aims and objectives until the end of the season”. This relationship is twofold.
He must also loosen the tag of “being too big for your boots”, and instead become the team player (with that perfect level of arrogance and attitude that all successful strikers possess) and grow in stature WITH the team. He WILL get the full backing of club and fans, so long as he meets our criteria in return.

It’s a quid pro quo.

After the all the enthusiasm of any new player joining us, he MUST realise that this is a high profile, big club, with aspirations to match.

My hope that he brings a lot of different qualities to the table, just like in a burgeoning relationship, he must bring excitement and something fresh, so that the opposition will fear his presence on the pitch.

There’s something about him that makes me think, yeah, he “gets it”, but he must adapt to the championship, the weather, the culture and MB style of management.

I hope and pray that he will.

Bonne chance
Let’s play ball
Let’s play football :D