Negativity

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
HalifaxWhite
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Negativity

Post by HalifaxWhite »

I just wanted to post and see if others feel like me.

I am actually very disappointed in myself, I am usually ever the optimist through life and in particular when supporting Leeds. I don't usually get involved in the negativity and those fans who literally moan about everything including AR and easily forget the past few owners we've had.

I continued the start of this season in my usual positive manner all the way until the QPR game. Then it changed and I'm sure many of you on here noticed it. I think it was the flashbacks of last year and that everything was almost exactly the same, dominant but not converting and the same personell letting us down. Anyway after last night's second half I felt a change in my attitude back to how it was.

So a post to all to say in relation to Leeds let's all forget about negativity now, all be positive and look forward this is the turning point. PB isn't perfect but we have a back up now, Costa isn't perfect but we have a back up now. Pablo and Klich look back to their best. Harrison is always a handful even if sometimes lacking end product. The defence is terrible but as long as we dominate and take our chances we can just outscore the opposition like we did under Grayson in L1.

MOT, let's be having ya.

Anybody else felt that way?
Deleted User 728

Re: Negativity

Post by Deleted User 728 »

You had me till you went all Delia :lol:
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

I agree with what you say and am an extremely positive person myself.

I think it's alright to criticise, say, Bamford but still support him, especially on match days as you mention. It doesn't mean you're less of a fan or that you care more if you shout louder about these things. It's a bit like anti-semitism : you can hammer Israel for some of their activities, but that doesn't mean you're a jew-hater. There's nuance to everything, including Bamford's finishing on occasion ;)
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

It could be worse we could be West Brom fans. They’ve picked up 2 points from their last 5 games. As a fan base we’re up there with the worst for slagging off our players. It wasn’t that long ago it was Coops, now it’s Paddy & a couple of years back is was Chris Wood. I’d never slate a Leeds player whilst they’re wearing the shirt, no need for it. All players have off days.
Winner of the Europa League
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

NottinghamWhite wrote:It could be worse we could be West Brom fans. They’ve picked up 2 points from their last 5 games. As a fan base we’re up there with the worst for slagging off our players. It wasn’t that long ago it was Coops, now it’s Paddy & a couple of years back is was Chris Wood. I’d never slate a Leeds player whilst they’re wearing the shirt, no need for it. All players have off days.
Well said NW.

Looking at the POM vote its in the main correctly spread between 5 players. Pablo is always popular but Alioski, Klich, Harrison & Bamford are getting good votes, 4 players that many have called to be dropped. Its a strange game at times.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

NottinghamWhite wrote:It could be worse we could be West Brom fans. They’ve picked up 2 points from their last 5 games. As a fan base we’re up there with the worst for slagging off our players. It wasn’t that long ago it was Coops, now it’s Paddy & a couple of years back is was Chris Wood. I’d never slate a Leeds player whilst they’re wearing the shirt, no need for it. All players have off days.
I have to say though Phil that the chanting FOR Bamford is usually very loud too every time I hear it, home or away. It's pathetic booing your own player, that will never change in my mind and I remember poor Terry Yorath getting stick in the mid 1970s.
Sovietmule
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by Sovietmule »

HalifaxWhite wrote:I just wanted to post and see if others feel like me.

I am actually very disappointed in myself, I am usually ever the optimist through life and in particular when supporting Leeds. I don't usually get involved in the negativity and those fans who literally moan about everything including AR and easily forget the past few owners we've had.

I continued the start of this season in my usual positive manner all the way until the QPR game. Then it changed and I'm sure many of you on here noticed it. I think it was the flashbacks of last year and that everything was almost exactly the same, dominant but not converting and the same personell letting us down. Anyway after last night's second half I felt a change in my attitude back to how it was.

Anybody else felt that way?
Maybe the 'unnatural' feelings of negativity are due to the level of hope and expectation, it's the price you pay for your level of emotional investment in the club?

I get what you're saying though. I'm normally the eternal optimist too and reading some of the comments during the game I thought 'this stuff makes Eeyore look like the laughing policeman'. Have to admit though, at 2-0 down I said to the missus "That's that then ..."

A second or two later I thought, hang on, just check yourself ... it's not even a quarter done yet, they are pretty poor, we are by far the better team and (with a break or two) we could still do this ... stupidly naive? Maybe ...

I used to work in a 'game' where the mantra was "You can't always control what happens to you but you can control how you react to it."

Easier said than done, particularly when you're 0-2 after 25 mins!!!
We all suffer.
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

Its just a natural emotion. At 2-0 down most people would be feeling negative i would guess with the same cliche's: same has last year, no plan b, Bielsa doesn't learn. Personally I enjoy reading the way people feel at that moment in time, its raw emotion and can be quite funny with hindsight.
I know it apply's to all football fans aswell, cos there is a couple of City fans at work who are having the same conversations about Pep this season. Square pegs in round holes, defensively not good enough, his times up if we don't win the CL this season ect ect. God it must be a dream supporting Celtic, can someone find out what Celtic fans moan about please? Excluding European football. :angel:
Last edited by Deleted User 3289 on 29 Jan 2020, 16:38, edited 1 time in total.
EastYorkie
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by EastYorkie »

Its all about being realistic and keeping things in perspective - optimism and pessimism are usually short term. Sometimes it pays just to sit and reflect before we open our mouths or write something ..... and yes we all make mistakes, sometimes they are big ones and sometimes no one notices. As long as you can hold your hand up and admit to your mistakes then thats o.k. You are entitled to change your opinion when circumstances change.

To put things into perspective, after last night we are all elated and optimistic but the reality is that last year after 29 games we were also top of the division and had 57 points compared to 55 today. 6 points ahead of third compared to 4 points today.

Time to stay grounded, cos this thing has plenty of twists and turns yet. We all know what happened last year from this point.

I've always said we are 'nearly' a very good team. We are a top 6 team but I'm unsure about automatic promotion just because of the quality of the players we've got. Today though when I'm looking at it, I've just witnessed Leeds sign Poveda and Augustin, plus we've Ben White and then Harrison has improved. We've also Costa who does show some moments of good stuff. Both Bielsa and the team have that added bit of experience of what can go wrong and what to do about it.

So overall, I'm thinking we'll do better on the run in than last year - which basically means we should get one of those automatic promotion slots.

Yes, I've just tempted fate but today I'm optimistic :D and I just hope we can do well against Wigan and register a comfortable win. They will come here though knowing about our defensive lapses and they will have a game plan to try and exploit them just like all other teams. We can't be complacent just because we got away with it last night. Fundamentally not much has changed until we see what Poveda and Augustin can add to the party, then it might be time to get excited. :D
HalifaxWhite
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by HalifaxWhite »

EastYorkie wrote:Its all about being realistic and keeping things in perspective - optimism and pessimism are usually short term. Sometimes it pays just to sit and reflect before we open our mouths or write something ..... and yes we all make mistakes, sometimes they are big ones and sometimes no one notices. As long as you can hold your hand up and admit to your mistakes then thats o.k. You are entitled to change your opinion when circumstances change.

To put things into perspective, after last night we are all elated and optimistic but the reality is that last year after 29 games we were also top of the division and had 57 points compared to 55 today. 6 points ahead of third compared to 4 points today.

Time to stay grounded, cos this thing has plenty of twists and turns yet. We all know what happened last year from this point.

I've always said we are 'nearly' a very good team. We are a top 6 team but I'm unsure about automatic promotion just because of the quality of the players we've got. Today though when I'm looking at it, I've just witnessed Leeds sign Poveda and Augustin, plus we've Ben White and then Harrison has improved. We've also Costa who does show some moments of good stuff. Both Bielsa and the team have that added bit of experience of what can go wrong and what to do about it.

So overall, I'm thinking we'll do better on the run in than last year - which basically means we should get one of those automatic promotion slots.

Yes, I've just tempted fate but today I'm optimistic :D and I just hope we can do well against Wigan and register a comfortable win. They will come here though knowing about our defensive lapses and they will have a game plan to try and exploit them just like all other teams. We can't be complacent just because we got away with it last night. Fundamentally not much has changed until we see what Poveda and Augustin can add to the party, then it might be time to get excited. :D
Spot on this.

The good thing for us now is we can really put ourselves in a good position over the next 3 games. It's in our hands. We've got Wigan then Brentford and Forest. Win those three and we'll have a nice cushion. I'm not too worried about Fulham as they've been patchy all season.

1st or 2 nd I don't care, just got us out of this corrupt league with it's biased ref's.