Negativity

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Deleted User 728

Re: Negativity

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Well said, HW, and thanks for apologising.

It's hard when you read something sometimes because a lot of what we say is about body language and verbal delivery, ie the tone and volume of the voice itself. When words are read, they're open to the full range of interpretations - when they're experienced face-to-fact, it's much easier to understand precisely what the person is saying because that range is narrowed considerably leaving you in little or no doubt as to what is meant.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

HalifaxWhite wrote:ANS I reread our whole thread and feel it all got a bit out of hand and maybe that started form my initial statement of how it annoys me when people say that. In hindsight, a poor choice of words from me that obviously got your back up so apologies for that. I wasn't disrespecting all who voted for PB as motm or even you, I only mentioned you as it was in direct response to your comment. I do understand people have other views and I can accept that all I was trying to do was express a counter to a seemingly popular view of only looking for the good points and seemingly overlooking the bad. Mainly because a lot of those people who do that with PB (not necessarily you) then point out every little negative with every other player in the team. I see a lot of PB backers slating Klich who for me is one of our most consistent performers. The odd off day but usually at least a 7/10 and sometimes a 9. Just venting that in the wrong direction I suppose.

A balanced view takes in both sides but then of course we do all see things slightly differently.

Anyway onwards we move and hopefully upwards.
:thumbup: Well said, HW.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

I think it's possible to be critical while still supporting a player.

If you look at ALL the stats : eXpected Goals, good chances missed, conversion rate, headers missed, shots missed, etc then by just about every metric possible, Bamford IS underperforming. There's no doubting that for me : he's scored 12 league goals, I think, while his XG is 27 unless I'm mistaken. To put that in perspective, his XG is higher than that of the entire Newcastle United team this season (heard this on the Totally Football League podcast this morning) which shows he's definitely getting himself into the right positions to score, which has to be a positive.
Similarly, his defensive work is admirable - he's arguably the second-best header of a ball in the team (after Coops) and we miss him at set pieces when he's subbed off or injured.

There is an argument that the TEAM's inability to defend corners and free-kicks is the biggest single factor behind our stuttering form : something like 37% of our goals conceded is from set-plays, by far the worst in the division. If we didn't have that Achilles heel, we'd be home and hosed, or very nearly - certainly we'd have more than a three point cushion to the play-off contenders.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Some good points Rigger, our vulnerability at set pieces isn't a new thing it's been happening for a few seasons.

We counter it slightly be dominating possession (the opponents can't but the ball in the box when we have it). However it's Definately our achilles heel although despite poor recent form we are conceding at less than one per game which is best rate for sometime.

Think the advantage of quicker more mobile defenders as reduced our vulnerability of teams hitting us on the break, we conceded a few like that last season.

Just need to find a 7ft defender with Ben Whites movement. ;)
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
BrighouseWhite
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by BrighouseWhite »

saihtam wrote:It is difficult discussion and everyone has their views, but we cant put it all on Bamford also. Yes he has missed to many changes and has very bad confidence currently. But I see this as a team problem also. Noone else is backing him by scoring also. Our next best is Harrisson with 5 goals, but I saw a tweet not sure if correct but that stated our second highest goal scorer is own goals. Our other attackers must bring down the pressure also from him and let him be more confident. Must see the bigger picture.

We lose and win as team, lets not be team that relyes or blames on individuals.
I think it's fair to expect that the 2 central defenders would have chipped in with at least a couple of goals each by this time of the season, but neither have scored yet.
There's light at the end of the tunnel and the future's looking very bright indeed.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

BrighouseWhite wrote: I think it's fair to expect that the 2 central defenders would have chipped in with at least a couple of goals each by this time of the season, but neither have scored yet.
It doesn’t help that our set piece delivery (generally a time when the CB’s get their opportunities) is absolutely dire.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
HalifaxWhite
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by HalifaxWhite »

Barlow Boy wrote:
BrighouseWhite wrote: I think it's fair to expect that the 2 central defenders would have chipped in with at least a couple of goals each by this time of the season, but neither have scored yet.
It doesn’t help that our set piece delivery (generally a time when the CB’s get their opportunities) is absolutely dire.
Couldn't agree more with this. Which is bizzare as Phillips plays some unbelievable balls from deep going across the pitch but can't hit a corner. Same goes for Pablo.
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

In the few games i have watched so far this season today is the first time i can say we looked clueless.
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:In the few games i have watched so far this season today is the first time i can say we looked clueless.
Harsh in some respects as we looked the better side, however I have to sayI I totally agree with you.

This is a huge test of Bielsa’s man management - one I fear he will fail given how aloof he is with his playing squad. Big mistakes were clearly made in the summer as regards the sale of Roofe & Jansson, the latter not only as regards his physical characteristics, but his leadership qualities. Yes white is a better player, but with say the Bartley/Jansson combination, we had a goal threat, could defend deep and had a pair of leaders.

Our biggest problem now appears our lack of mental fortitude, no amount of physical conditioning will address that. Maybe MB has sanitised the squad of the character required to WIN. I firmly believe - No manager can get any more out of this group of players, but they look shot, devoid of confidence.

Irrespective of his physical condition, Augustine needs to replace Bamford now. The poor lad needs to be be pulled out of the firing line for his own good, the weight of expectation on his shoulders is killing him.

We’ve had a lot of players over the years not fit to wear the shirt; that can’t be said of this bunch. Sadly I fear collectively though, they might not be big enough to wear the shirt or rather it’s too big for them.
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by PhoenixUnited »

I have to confess to feelings of deja vu after the Forest result. This season is showing all the signs of the last one. Far be for a armchair fan to be telling Marcelo Bielsa how to do his job but the sight of Casilla continuing his madcap antics in goal and getting steadily mistake prone is driving me nuts. The goal drought from anywhere on the pitch is biting hard and teams know that they can sucker punch us and are setting up accordingly.

All I can do is watch and hope these depressing things will change for the better otherwise we ain’t making the playoffs even :( :cry: :roll:
Keep The Faith / WAL