84 minutes

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
johnnysmiles
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

84 minutes

Post by johnnysmiles »

Just wondering if anyone has any similar quirks:

If we're hanging on for a result (like against Millwall on Tuesday) or trying together an equaliser (like at QPR last week), I've got this thing about 84 minutes being some kind of significant point in the game.

If we're trying to equalise and we haven't done it by 84", I presume that we won't do it and that it will be pleasant surprise if we do.

If we're holding on, I get a wave of optimism that we'll probably be ok if we hold out until 84"

Completely daft, I know, but there you go!
HalifaxWhite
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Re: 84 minutes

Post by HalifaxWhite »

I do have something on the same lines.

I always think if we're two down after 70 then we can only draw, if we're still 2 down at 80 we've lost.

Similarly if we go 1 up early in a game and don't score another before 60 I always think we will succumb to a later equalizer (and we usually do).
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

Slightly off track however I am Ridiculously superstitious Re Leeds. I won’t bet on them, but will bet against them so I get two chances of a win. Example Tuesday backed Millwall at 7/1 at half time I thought we would (May) win... I was tempted to cash out and lump the proceeds on Leeds, however if I had of done that, in my mindset we wouldn’t win, therefore kept the bet & lost the money.

Also if I can’t get to a match and start listening on the radio and we are winning, I won’t then switch to watching it on TV. Lucky seats etc all come into play.

Getting ahead of the game, when booking hotels / restaurants for the play off final - clearly cost us the semi final against Derby. Whilst I faced a huge dilemma last season with us unbeaten whilst I was out of the country. First game I go to ... Brum at home & a defeat.

The bizarre thing is in life in general I’m not really superstitious, never really worrying over things I can’t influence.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

I hate us conceding in the first five minutes of a game. We need to score at least two to win then, plus prevent them from scoring another. If PB is not firing, then where do two goals come from?
I once played against Don Revie.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

I have a few superstitions but based on time not at all.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
hashtagleedsunited
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by hashtagleedsunited »

HalifaxWhite wrote: I always think if we're two down after 70 then we can only draw, if we're still 2 down at 80 we've lost.

Similarly if we go 1 up early in a game and don't score another before 60 I always think we will succumb to a later equalizer (and we usually do).
Ditto. I do have something on the same lines :crazy:
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

My "thing" is just after the ref blows the final whistle.
Call me a traditionalist, but if we've won, then I'm happy; if we've lost, then I'm not.
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

Whenever we are in front attack attack attack. I hate the concept of protecting a lead. Kill them off. In Chess the first piece i release is my Queen, i'm coming after ya.
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

Plenty of superstitions, but none time related.

Sitting in the corner of a dressing room was my biggest one. Fine with guys that I knew, but as I moved through the grades, having to turn up waaaay earlier to training/matches got a bit weird, as it was with people I had never met before, or was in opposition to previously.

A few funny looks at the new guy sitting in the corner 45 minutes before everyone else :D :lolno: :crazy:
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay