50 years ago

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Re: 50 years ago

Post by NottinghamWhite »

I remember after the West Brom game that we played our first three home games of the next season at Hillsborough, Leeds Road & Boothberry Park, funny how 2 of those grounds are now defunct. The game that sticks in my memory was the 5-1 win against Newcastle at Hillsborough.
Winner of the Europa League
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

NottinghamWhite wrote:I remember after the West Brom game that we played our first three home games of the next season at Hillsborough, Leeds Road & Boothberry Park, funny how 2 of those grounds are now defunct. The game that sticks in my memory was the 5-1 win against Newcastle at Hillsborough.
Memory could be wrong but think it was Spurs at Hull and Wolves at Huddersfield (both draws) remember my Dad taking me, was at those two but didn't get to Hillsboro.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Selby White wrote:
NottinghamWhite wrote:I remember after the West Brom game that we played our first three home games of the next season at Hillsborough, Leeds Road & Boothberry Park, funny how 2 of those grounds are now defunct. The game that sticks in my memory was the 5-1 win against Newcastle at Hillsborough.
Memory could be wrong but think it was Spurs at Hull and Wolves at Huddersfield (both draws) remember my Dad taking me, was at those two but didn't get to Hillsboro.
I went to Hillsborough & Leeds Road I still remember the OB bringing us to the ground at Huddersfield & if you stepped off the kerb you were guaranteed a whack with a coppers truncheon. I also recall this was the time when skinheads were emerging & there was plenty on show that day. Never did Boothberry Park so it’s a void on my list of grounds.
Winner of the Europa League
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

NottinghamWhite wrote:
Selby White wrote:
I went to Hillsborough & Leeds Road I still remember the OB bringing us to the ground at Huddersfield & if you stepped off the kerb you were guaranteed a whack with a coppers truncheon. I also recall this was the time when skinheads were emerging & there was plenty on show that day. Never did Boothberry Park so it’s a void on my list of grounds.
I'm sure we must have done but I really can't recall us playing against Hull before they moved to the KC stadium.

Back in the day when I was a nipper got taken to Bootherry Park 3 or 4 times to see Hull games due to my best mates Dad been related to one of their players (Ken Wagstaff) and getting free tickets. Only when Leeds didn't have a match of course.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Got me reminiscing, anyone remember the supporters club you could go for a beer on Elland Road before games (basically a big wooden shed).

Even better anyone drink there between 73 & 74, as a young lad got the job of collecting glasses so probably took your empties back to the bar.
Pay was a free ticket for the match, got released 5 mins before KO so was a quick sprint to get in. Great job a Xmas for some reason got lots of tips :D
guitarmark
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by guitarmark »

Recall an interview with Alan Hansen about his time at Liverpool - In his opinion the best 3 teams he can recall all had a great midfield that bossed the game for many seasons

1- The Souness team of the 80's - Sorry can't recall the midfield he referred to

2- Fergie's midfield of Giggs, Keanne, Scholes and Beckham (side note but in my opinion a player who was severely over-rated)

3- Don's midfield of Lorimer, Bremner, Giles and Gray