50 years ago

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Re: 50 years ago

Post by NottinghamWhite »

johnh wrote:
What no one has said, did we beat Mansfield Town in the cup? Tough fixture that. :D
I was actually there that day, saw all the FA Cup games that season so I saw the fabled X1 play.
Winner of the Europa League
Leicester White
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by Leicester White »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Met David Harvey after the dinner to commemorate the unveiling of Dons statue. He came across as a very unassuming gentleman. He went to be a Crofter & postman on Shetland. He was staying in the same hotel as us. Must dig out his autograph later & post it up.
Thank you, I didn't know that. Great goalie to keep a clean sheet against Brazil in the 74 world cup - 4 Leeds players on the pitch plus Eddie Gray only missed out through injury plus I think Gordon McQueen was on the bench! No wonder that lot beat England 2-0 that year with Bremner and Lorimer getting the goals https://www.11v11.com/matches/brazil-v- ... 74-232875/
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

NottinghamWhite wrote:This is the only time the fabled Leeds starting eleven started a cup game against Mansfield Town.

Sprake
Reaney
Cooper
Bremner
Charlton
Hunter
Lorimer
Clarke
Jones
Giles
Gray

I knew they didn’t play together often but thought it was more than once.
I remember watching Leeds when big Jack first started playing for the first team. (I think most of the above were still at school. :D) On the Monday morning, someone in the office asked me about the new, young centre-half. I said he was good in the air, but a bit ungainly and slow on the ground. I remember saying that I didn't think he would make it long-term. How wrong can you be. :lol:
I once played against Don Revie.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

By the way, can you have a 'fabled' Leeds starting eleven which doesn't include the name 'Paul Madeley'? The term must be 'Fabled Squad' surely. (Not to mention Bobby Collins)
I once played against Don Revie.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

johnh wrote:By the way, can you have a 'fabled' Leeds starting eleven which doesn't include the name 'Paul Madeley'? The term must be 'Fabled Squad' surely. (Not to mention Bobby Collins)
Goes without saying that Paul Madeley would have been in. The only difference is the 11 names that are reeled off the lips is that those named all had their individual position and distinct number.
PM was that good he just replaced everyone as and when needed but never had his own recognised place in the team.

Think the team on everyone's lips is from when we started winning titles (1969) Bobby Collins was part of the set up prior to that actual period. Broke his leg I believe in 66 and barely played for us after that.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Apparently at the Under 18's match the other night Ole Gunnar Solskjaer bumped in to Jack Charlton.

During the conversation Ole asked "How do you think your Leeds team would do against my current Man Utd team".

Big Jack after some thought replied politically "Think it would be a draw"

Ole chuffed to bits "I'll take that you had a pretty decent team back in the day"

To which Jack replied " Don't forget we haven't trained for 45 years"

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Clarke One Nil
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by Clarke One Nil »

My theory is that we should redefine the classic line-up as: Paul Madeley plus any ten from Sprake, Reaney, Cooper, Bremner, Charlton, Hunter, Lorimer, Clarke, Jones, Giles, Gray.
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

NottinghamWhite wrote:The most amazing thing I would always quote that team as the Revie side. It’s funny how the memory plays tricks. I can still recite the Boys of 66 & the Brazil forward line in 1970...
Reminds me of a conversation I had years ago about the great AC Milan team from '89 to '94. When trying to name the team, we had about 18 players, all of which we were convinced had played.
They did of course, but only 3 of the '89 European Champions were still on the team in '94, just 5 years later.
The 3 were Maldini, Tassotii and Donadoni.
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
hashtagleedsunited
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by hashtagleedsunited »

NottinghamWhite wrote:This is the only time the fabled Leeds starting eleven started a cup game against Mansfield Town.

Sprake
Reaney
Cooper
Bremner
Charlton
Hunter
Lorimer
Clarke
Jones
Giles
Gray

http://www.ozwhitelufc.net.au/07-02-197 ... age064.jpg

This was the squad that I grew up with and loved so much 8-)
LAsouthcoast
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by LAsouthcoast »

hashtagleedsunited wrote:

Sprake
Reaney
Cooper
Bremner
Charlton
Hunter
Lorimer
Clarke
Jones
Giles
Gray

http://www.ozwhitelufc.net.au/07-02-197 ... age064.jpg

This was the squad that I grew up with and loved so much 8-)
So many happy memories those names gave me, I would love to see a Leeds side near them before I leave this life, here`s hoping.