50 years ago

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

50 years ago

Post by NottinghamWhite »

This is the only time the fabled Leeds starting eleven started a cup game against Mansfield Town.

Sprake
Reaney
Cooper
Bremner
Charlton
Hunter
Lorimer
Clarke
Jones
Giles
Gray

I knew they didn’t play together often but thought it was more than once.
Winner of the Europa League
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: 50 years ago

Post by Selby White »

Remember reading the fact it was only the once and was very surprised.

However had it explained and we only signed Clarke in 69 and Big Jack retired in 73 so that left 4 years for it to happen.
However Harvey replaced Sprake in 72 so that narrows it a little more.
In the 3 remaining possible years both Cooper & Reaney suffered broken legs and added to Eddie Grays injuries it left us with the amazing fact our best ever team that we of an age can recite without thinking only played the once.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

The most amazing thing I would always quote that team as the Revie side. It’s funny how the memory plays tricks. I can still recite the Boys of 66 & the Brazil forward line in 1970. Mind Eddie Gray is quoted that it wasn’t a starting eleven it was a twelve as you couldn’t ( rightly so ) leave out Paul Madeley.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

NottinghamWhite wrote:The most amazing thing I would always quote that team as the Revie side. It’s funny how the memory plays tricks. I can still recite the Boys of 66 & the Brazil forward line in 1970. Mind Eddie Gray is quoted that it wasn’t a starting eleven it was a twelve as you couldn’t ( rightly so ) leave out Paul Madeley.
Absolutely NW :thumbup:

On the England 66 team I wonder how many times that line up play together. Didn't Hurst only replace Greaves shortly before?
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Selby White wrote:
Absolutely NW :thumbup:

On the England 66 team I wonder how many times that line up play together. Didn't Hurst only replace Greaves shortly before?
I believe he did, yes. Regarding the number of times they played as a team that’s a very good question. Also if memory serves me right Martin Peters didn’t make his international debut till just before the competition.
Leicester White
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by Leicester White »

NottinghamWhite wrote:This is the only time the fabled Leeds starting eleven started a cup game against Mansfield Town.

Sprake
Reaney
Cooper
Bremner
Charlton
Hunter
Lorimer
Clarke
Jones
Giles
Gray

I take it they won?!
It's interesting when you talk to fans of other clubs who are 50+ and they can name the Revie side but can't name their own team's l8beup from 1970. I'd be interested how many times the 10 outfield players started with Harvey.... in Review's words he was too loyal to Sprake with the benefit of hindsight (sound familiar!). I had an amazing picture on my bedroom wall as a schoolboy of Harvey diving to the top corner... looked physically impossible!
Leicester White
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by Leicester White »

NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Met David Harvey after the dinner to commemorate the unveiling of Dons statue. He came across as a very unassuming gentleman. He went to be a Crofter & postman on Shetland. He was staying in the same hotel as us. Must dig out his autograph later & post it up.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

NottinghamWhite wrote:This is the only time the fabled Leeds starting eleven started a cup game against Mansfield Town.

Sprake
Reaney
Cooper
Bremner
Charlton
Hunter
Lorimer
Clarke
Jones
Giles
Gray

What no one has said, did we beat Mansfield Town in the cup? Tough fixture that. :D
I once played against Don Revie.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

johnh wrote:

Sprake
Reaney
Cooper
Bremner
Charlton
Hunter
Lorimer
Clarke
Jones
Giles
Gray

What no one has said, did we beat Mansfield Town in the cup? Tough fixture that. :D
If we had lost you would know because the BBC would have mentioned it every year for the last 49. :D