Bielsa - now you know what it's like first hand ..

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Phil147
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Re: Bielsa - now you know what it's like first hand ..

Post by Phil147 »

Barlow Boy you are 100% spot on about ER and whilst this is mostly down to how well we have been doing I think the style of football we are playing also helps to attract the crowds. 'Bielsaball' is entertaining!! Now, it is of course quite stressful as well but since when has following Leeds not been stressful? I would much prefer to be stressed watching this brand of football than stressed watching some of the dross we've served up over the last decade or so.
Also, importantly, whatever happens now Bielsa has made an imprint on our club. His DNA is right through the setup and when the inevitable happens and he does leave us one day, we need to ensure the next manager in continues that work. Keep the strategy, all the clubs who go up and stay up all have had that long term strategy.
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

Phil147 wrote:Bielsa will not change. He has remained true to his beliefs for better or worse throughout his career. What he has done with this Leeds team is incredible, let's not forget where we were before he took over. Mid table mediocrity, at best.
We are playing the best football arguably since that golden window under O'Leary. He has turned journey men footballers into some of the best in the division.
Is he too stubborn? Yes of course he is. But we should not be surprised there, he has always been that way. Why would he change at Leeds?

The game at Forest was the worst I've seen us this season, we didn't deserve to get anything out of it whereas other defeats this season we've played well and either due to poor finishing or bad luck we've not got our just desserts. Last night was different and Bielsa needs to consider that before he decides what team and setup we have at Brentford. He pretty much said this in his post match press conference.

However, I will ask these two questions. With this squad who else could have had us playing the football we have been doing and been pretty much top two for the best part of two seasons? Would we be in this position under Heckingbottom, Christiansen etc.? No we most certainly would not.

And, if not Bielsa. Who should be manager of Leeds United?

IMHO we've been spoilt for the last season and a half, we've got a world class coach who has got us playing the best football in the division, bar none. The issue isn't with Bielsa. The issue is the squad itself. He said last season he had taken them as far as he could and to be fair to him he has given it a bloody good go again this season.

There is still a long way to go this season, there will be many more twists and turns. It's never easy been a Leeds United supporter and it most certainly won't be this season but we are still second and its all to play for.

In Bielsa we trust. Because who else is there?
Good post. Sometimes i think Bielsa gets caught between the Devil and the deep blue sea, because we played so well in the first part of the season, there is a belief from Bielsa and possible the players aswell that we can rediscover the early season form. Sadly its not looking likely. When we call out for changes i say who? Our best player not in the squad is Forshaw out Injured, similarly Roberts & Shack for lots of games, Hernandez also has missed afew. Having phillips back will bring more positional balance to the side again.

To throw the kids in is a gamble and if that goes badly what do we do then? Don't forget we only had 1 striker for 4 crucial weeks of the season, and not a very prolific one at that to choose from. For me all roads lead to Orta building a average side on a budget and the club selling players to balance the books. I'm not saying that's wrong its a business at the end of the day. I said it before, under Heck it wasn't that long ago some fans was saying that players such has Cooper, Dallas, Alioski were average Championship squad players at best they now sit comfortable on 4 year contracts.
bc grinner
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by bc grinner »

I’ve got a couple of newbie questions regarding Bielsa’s importance to the club? He’s obviously made a big impact in the league table. How big of an impact has he made in transfers? Have players like Poveda and JKA been available to the club in the past? Also, if this ends badly, how tough will it be to get a comparable manager in to replace him?
maltrain
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by maltrain »

Phil147 wrote:Bielsa will not change. He has remained true to his beliefs for better or worse throughout his career. What he has done with this Leeds team is incredible, let's not forget where we were before he took over. Mid table mediocrity, at best.
We are playing the best football arguably since that golden window under O'Leary. He has turned journey men footballers into some of the best in the division.
Is he too stubborn? Yes of course he is. But we should not be surprised there, he has always been that way. Why would he change at Leeds?

The game at Forest was the worst I've seen us this season, we didn't deserve to get anything out of it whereas other defeats this season we've played well and either due to poor finishing or bad luck we've not got our just desserts. Last night was different and Bielsa needs to consider that before he decides what team and setup we have at Brentford. He pretty much said this in his post match press conference.

However, I will ask these two questions. With this squad who else could have had us playing the football we have been doing and been pretty much top two for the best part of two seasons? Would we be in this position under Heckingbottom, Christiansen etc.? No we most certainly would not.

IMHO we've been spoilt for the last season and a half, we've got a world class coach who has got us playing the best football in the division, bar none. The issue isn't with Bielsa. The issue is the squad itself. He said last season he had taken them as far as he could and to be fair to him he has given it a bloody good go again this season.

There is still a long way to go this season, there will be many more twists and turns. It's never easy been a Leeds United supporter and it most certainly won't be this season but we are still second and its all to play for.

Totally agree.

I only know you'll miss him A LOT when he leaves... just like those stupid Athletic Bilbao's "fans" who asked for his head after some bad results on the second season... after that, their "stars" (some of them were selected in the national squad even under Bielsa) were mediocre again and the team never played as good or dreamed with an european cup...
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

maltrain wrote:

Totally agree.

I only know you'll miss him A LOT when he leaves... just like those stupid Athletic Bilbao's "fans".
Everyone has stupid fans the trouble is they are often the ones that shout and scream more often making it seem like there is lots of them. It's because we are living in an era where social media rules the roost.
In reality the vast majority of Leeds fans believe MB is the best thing to happen to our Club for a very long time.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by PhoenixUnited »

bc grinner wrote:I’ve got a couple of newbie questions regarding Bielsa’s importance to the club? He’s obviously made a big impact in the league table. How big of an impact has he made in transfers? Have players like Poveda and JKA been available to the club in the past? Also, if this ends badly, how tough will it be to get a comparable manager in to replace him?
By the seem of things Victor Orta (and his little helpers?) collates a list of possibles which is the presented to MB for him to pick from. Not apparently a case of MB asking that we go after certain players to get in. Bizarre to me if, in fact that is the case.

MB then decides when to field the newbies and will apparently do so when he decides they are up to speed and ready for the fray and not a moment before

We did no business last January Window and whilst we have brought a couple of players in this last Window we are yet to see them make anything near a full appearance and there are just 12 games to go to the end of the season.

As for departures I have no clue whose decision that is. I imagine it's some sort of joint decision but I have no clue.
Keep The Faith / WAL
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

PhoenixUnited wrote:
bc grinner wrote:I’ve got a couple of newbie questions regarding Bielsa’s importance to the club? He’s obviously made a big impact in the league table. How big of an impact has he made in transfers? Have players like Poveda and JKA been available to the club in the past? Also, if this ends badly, how tough will it be to get a comparable manager in to replace him?
By the seem of things Victor Orta (and his little helpers?) collates a list of possibles which is the presented to MB for him to pick from. Not apparently a case of MB asking that we go after certain players to get in. Bizarre to me if, in fact that is the case.

MB then decides when to field the newbies and will apparently do so when he decides they are up to speed and ready for the fray and not a moment before

We did no business last January Window and whilst we have brought a couple of players in this last Window we are yet to see them make anything near a full appearance and there are just 12 games to go to the end of the season.

As for departures I have no clue whose decision that is. I imagine it's some sort of joint decision but I have no clue.
Given the global nature of recruitment that is required, I would be shocked if the process was any different to that in play. Are you honestly suggesting bielsa might scout players himself ?

I might question the level of funding and the earlier scattergun approach to recruiting young ‘bargains’, however the process seems robust. What I feel has been detrimental is the sale players post preseason, that has weakened the squad and given bielsas idiosyncratic approach to team preparation, is largely irrecoverable post July.
White Knight
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by White Knight »

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... the-absurd

Great article that touches on spirit of Bielsa and his football philosophy.
hashtagleedsunited
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by hashtagleedsunited »

White Knight wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... the-absurd

Brilliant, positive and fantastic article.
Thanks for sharing WK :clap:
Deleted User 5081

Post by Deleted User 5081 »

White Knight wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... the-absurd

I enjoyed this, thanks for the post WK