Anther year in the Championship - Transfers

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
HalifaxWhite
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Anther year in the Championship - Transfers

Post by HalifaxWhite »

Right, as most of you will know I started a thread around xmas about who we should sell/sign when we are promoted. That started a downward spiral for the team so now I am doing the opposite.

It appears the wheels are off and another year in the Championship is likely. Therefore if we stay another year who would you prioritise selling and who would you like to see us go after? With reasons.

One key thing for me is we need more in than out as the squad is just a bit too small at the moment.

KEEP:
Phillips - not likely but would obviously love to keep our best player.
White - Another year on loan? may not be possible.
Dallas - Doesn't set the world alight but a great utility man at this level.
Berardi - Great character and can play multiple positions, seems to love the club
Alioski - Similar to Dallas
Meslier - Our future no.1 I think.
Ayling - One of the best RB at this level.
Shack - Obvious, young, hungry and Leeds
Poveda - Give the lad a chance, only young.
JKA - Maybe we wont as he will be expensive £17mil I think
Harrison - Really becoming a key player just needs to sort his final ball.
Klich - The engine, has to stay.
Cooper - Not the greatest but we are short at the back so a must keep.

OUT: - There has to be a clear out IMO some of the squad is clearly not good enough.
Bamford - No brainer, not good enough, 100% - one of the highest earners
Casilla - Again, not good enough, makes the mistakes of a young keeper - one of the highest earners
Forshaw - good players but made of glass, in a small squad you cannot have players like this.
Roberts - Same as Forshaw
(maybe) Costa - Not doing it, high wages, might struggle to sell for any decent money though

In:
2x Strikers, A tall target man and a mobile Roofe type. JKA is the starter so these can be young prospects maybe a loan.
A tall commanding CB experienced at this level (circa £5mil)
(Maybe) Ball playing CBIf we can't keep White then we need a similar loan.
Keeper - Would like to see someone experienced like Westwood, keepers in this league are usually pretty cheap too.
An creative mid, Saiz type from abroad, that style of play is more cultural in Spain so somebody from a lower la liga team for a couple of mil.
A Phillips back up - possibly a young lad, maybe McCalmont could step up.
(maybe) A Phillips replacement if he goes. We will get very big money for Phillips and most of it should go on his replacement, this is a key role in the team. Not sure who is out there though that would come.
Another winger to replace Costa IF we can sell him.
Leicester White
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Re: Anther year in the Championship - Transfers

Post by Leicester White »

Good post and like your thinking. Pablo?
BrighouseWhite

Post by BrighouseWhite »

Isn't Costa on loan this season with an option to buy for £15m if we go up?
Last edited by BrighouseWhite on 11 Feb 2020, 10:45, edited 2 times in total.
There's light at the end of the tunnel and the future's looking very bright indeed.
Aaron
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by Aaron »

BrighouseWhite wrote:Isn't Costa on loan this season with an option to buy for £15m if we go up?
Yeah.

I don't know why we gave an ageing Pablo such a long deal either, makes no sense to me.
HalifaxWhite

Post by HalifaxWhite »

Leicester White wrote:Good post and like your thinking. Pablo?
Well my Pablo thinking was that neither here nor there. Last year I would have said must keep, this year it appears age is now catching up with him. So if a reasonable offer came in I would take it. But at the same time he isn't one I would be trying to push out the door. I think he would be great to keep around the squad as hopefully others could learn from him.
HalifaxWhite

Post by HalifaxWhite »

BrighouseWhite wrote:Isn't Costa on loan this season with an option to buy for £15m if we go up?
Ah so if we don't go up we don't keep him? I thought it was an obligation to buy regardless of promotion.

In that case it makes sense now, we are intentionally bottling it as we have seen Costa isn't worth 15p let alone £15mil
MOT1964
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by MOT1964 »

HalifaxWhite wrote:
Ah so if we don't go up we don't keep him? I thought it was an obligation to buy regardless of promotion.

In that case it makes sense now, we are intentionally bottling it as we have seen Costa isn't worth 15p let alone £15mil
That is my understanding, he will be joining on a permanent deal regardless of which division we are in.