Select a Great LUFC X1 to play Don's X1

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
guitarmark
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Select a Great LUFC X1 to play Don's X1

Post by guitarmark »

So we had a recent post about Don's Glorious X1

So what would be the best LUFC team to take on Don's X1

Pick your best LUFC X1, with no one from Don's era, plus to play the same 4 4 2 formation

My team is

Martyn
Kelly Woodgate Ferdinand Dorigo

Strachan Batty McAllister Kewell

Viduka Floyd Hasslebank
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Select a Great LUFC X1 to play Don's X1

Post by Selby White »

Yours is not a million miles away from my team :-

Martyn
Cherry - Radebe - McQueen - Dorigo
Currie - Batty - McAllister - Kewell
Charles - Hassselbaink

Ok Cherry, McQueen & Charles (2nd spell) were all signed by the Don but assumed you were meaning the classic Leeds line up between 69 & 73 ;)

If not would replace them with Kelly, Ferdinand & Yeboah. :thumbup:
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Phil147
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by Phil147 »

Good one, not sure if this has been done before but I'm always up for something like this...

Based on them actually performing at their best levels with Leeds rather than some ageing star past his best or some upcoming tyro who's best years were elsewhere.. also I will of course gravitate more towards the players I saw regularly in the flesh and in some cases have a bit of a sentimental sellection.

I'm excluding John Charles because he came back in the Revie era, early on and by then was in the first category above (at least he was for Leeds by then). Also I never saw him play either, I'm not that old...

Nigel Martyn, easy one this and the only player outside of the Revie 11 which would get into that side, other than big John of cousre (see above).

Mel Sterland, at right back. I used to love seeing him charge up that right flank overlapping Strach. Gary Kelly comes a very, very close second.

Lucas Radebe, centre back and Vice Captain. Quality player who probably never quite attained the peak he could have done due to injuries and the club falling apart around him.

Rio Ferdinand, centre back. Yes, I know he went to that lot over the pennines. Yes, I know he only was with us a short time. But in that time he showed what a top quality player he was. Time heals and I would put him in a best 11 to face up to the Don's team

Tony Dorigo, Left back. Great player, and a terrific left foot. Gets the nod over Ian Harte as IMHO Dorigo was the better defender.

David Batty, holding midfielder. Would break up play and keep it simple, giving it to the midfielders in front of him.

Speaking of which and we are spoilt for choice here.

On the right it would have to be Gordon Strachan, who would also be club captain. A fiery red haired Scotsman, small in stature but massive in class and heart. Reminds me of someone...

Centre pairing of Gary McAllister, one of the most elegant players I've seen grace the Elland Road turf. It used to mystify me when some of the crowd would boo him when he came back with Coventry and Liverpool.

Gary Speed, would it work with him and Gary Mc as pair? I don't know. But for many reasons I would have to have Speedy in there. Go on my son...

On the left, and I had to think long and hard about this one... On pure ability alone it would have to be Harry Kewell. I know his time with us didn't end well and he further blotted his copybook by going to that Turkish club. However, with him flying down the left and Dorigo backing him up that would be a potent force.

I know the OP said 4-4-2 but I ignored that and have gone with 1 up top (plus I wanted Speed in the team for sentimental reasons). I had to think a bit about this one as well, we've had some very decent number 9s over the years. However, I want somebody mobile and is clinical in front of goal. So Jimmy Floyd gets the nod.

So the lineup would be:-

Martyn
Sterland Radebe Ferdinand Dorigo
Batty
Strachan McAllister Speed Kewell
Hasselbaink

Robinson, Kelly, Woodgate, Sheridan, Currie, Wallace (Rod), Yeboah (For sentimental reasons and an impact sub)

If we stick to the OP and go 4-4-2

Martyn
Sterland Radebe Ferdinand Dorigo
Stachan McAllister Batty Speed (I can't go anything other than that glorious midfield 4)
Hasselbaink Wallace (gives us some real pace up front to play off Jimmy. Not that Jimmy would pass much...)
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Leicester White

Post by Leicester White »

Martyn
Cherry - Ferdinand - McQueen - Dorigo
Currie - Strachan (capt) - Batty - Kewell
McKenzie - Viduka

N.B. I didn't get to see Charles play.
guitarmark

Post by guitarmark »

I never say Charles play - So only aware of his reputation and a few basic video clips - So never thought about him as a potential for a Great X1 to take on Don's X1

In many ways LUFC before Don was nothing to shout about - Similar to Liverpool before Shanks - So my selection was based on post Don

Forgot about the option of McQueen and on that basis easy to add Joe Jordan to any line up - Ditto Currie, Arthur Graham, Yeboah - And many more

So many great players only played at Leeds for 1/2 or 3 seasons - JFH and Rio for starters, plus Currie, McKenzie - Hence part of their reputation is based on how they played before or after Leeds

On my team above, could easily add Sheridan to that - But that would be at the expense of McAllister - So on that basis Sheridan would be a sub - But what a great option to have on the bench
Leicester White

Love Joe Jordan, but think he was a Revie signing
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

Arguably John Charles is the greatest British player ever.... however ignoring players who played under Revie here goes with (2 players who hardly played for the club !!)

Martyn

Mills Radebe Ferdinand Dorigo

Cantona Yeboah
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

My team (some old players in this team)

GK - Nigel Martyn
RB - Gary Kelly
LB - Tony Dorigo
CD - Ernie Hart
CD - Lucas Radebe
RM - Gordon Strachan
CM - Willis Edwards
CM - Tony Currie
LM - Harry Kewell
A - Mark Viduka
A - Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink

Honourable mentions for (or get on the bench) - Grenville Hair, Wilf Copping, Jimmy Dunn, Charles Keetley, Russell Wainscott, Tom Jennings, Gary McAlister, David Batty, Tony Yeboah, John Sheridan, Gary Speed and Rio Ferdinand.
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
Leicester White

isrodger wrote:Arguably John Charles is the greatest British player ever.... however ignoring players who played under Revie here goes with (2 players who hardly played for the club !!)

Martyn

Mills Radebe Ferdinand Dorigo

I
Cantona Yeboah
I think of him as a Man U player these days, but yes I would pick Cantons.. . I had the pleasure of witnessing his charity shield hattrick v Liverpool; I don't believe we would've won the league without him. Probably the worst piece of business in football history taking a mere million and letting him go to our main rival!