Select a Great LUFC X1 to play Don's X1

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
blackpool white
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Re: Select a Great LUFC X1 to play Don's X1

Post by blackpool white »

isrodger wrote:Arguably John Charles is the greatest British player ever.... however ignoring players who played under Revie here goes with (2 players who hardly played for the club !!)

Martyn

Mills Radebe Ferdinand Dorigo

Strachan Batty McAllister Kewell

Cantona Yeboah
thats pretty much my team to, except i would switch out radebe for woodgate.

before his troubles, woodgate was just about the best central defender going
blackpool white
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by blackpool white »

isrodger wrote:Arguably John Charles is the greatest British player ever.... however ignoring players who played under Revie here goes with (2 players who hardly played for the club !!)

Martyn

Cantona Yeboah

before his troubles, woodgate was just about the best central defender going, always getting that vital interception, last desperate block to then give it to ferdinand to play out of defence.

with mills on our right it was a rare event when we had to defend crosses from there, dorigo in for his shooting ability, but I would not argue with someone putting hart there instead.

the midfield was in my opinion better than big jack, oor billy, bites yer legs and 90 mph....and thats really saying something.
Wigwam
Luke Aylings Scrunchie maker

Post by Wigwam »

Can't disagree with the names put up for this. One I'd like to add to the mix is Chris Fairclough at centre back. No nonsense defender who a had a goal in him from set pieces.
Phil147
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by Phil147 »

Wigwam wrote:Can't disagree with the names put up for this. One I'd like to add to the mix is Chris Fairclough at centre back. No nonsense defender who a had a goal in him from set pieces.
Fairclough was a great player for us. We did have some decent centre backs over the years. Chris White made a good partnership with Fairclough for that championship winning season.

Going further back Paul Hart. I know Kenny Burns played for us as well but he was probably past his best by then. Did win club player of the year though in 1982-83 season.
guitarmark
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by guitarmark »

It is obvious we have had many decent players since the 74 Season - However, with the notable exception of H Wilkinson's side + D O'Leary's side, we have not had great teams, for whatever reason that might be - S Grayson's had the potential to build something on

As such many good players never stayed for to long - Yeboah, Snodin, Sheridan, A Graham as a few examples and we never had the chance to develop a successful team with them on board
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by PhoenixUnited »

blackpool white wrote:

Martyn

Cantona Yeboah

before his troubles, woodgate was just about the best central defender going
Garry Kelly in for Mills.
Keep The Faith / WAL