Yorkshire rivals

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.

Who’s our biggest rival

Sheffield Wednesday
35%
Sheffield United
35%
Rotherham United
No votes
Hull City
No votes
Barnsley
No votes
Bradford City
9%
Huddersfield Town
18%
Middlesbrough
No votes
Doncaster Rovers
3%

Total votes: 34

HalifaxWhite
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Re: Yorkshire rivals

Post by HalifaxWhite »

NottinghamWhite wrote:I’m intrigued about this rivalry with Huddersfield why are they our rivals ? Serious question.
Well I chose the dog botherers as I live in Halifax which is near by and have a lot of family in Hudds so for me it's a personal thing.

If we're saying who are Leeds overall biggest rival I think it has to be the Wendies these days. Always a great high tempo game.
BrighouseWhite
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by BrighouseWhite »

Hudds get my vote.
I was born and brought up in the town and like HalifaxWhite, still have family and friends living there.
I remember when I was at High School they brought round some free tickets for their home games a few times, would have been in the old 4th Division at that time. Whenever I put my hand up for one, it was met with a lot of jeers and shouts of "Don't give him a ticket he's a Leeds fan" :lol:
There's light at the end of the tunnel and the future's looking very bright indeed.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Remember the days they played a West Riding Cup competition each season. Think it was between 4 teams each year Us, Hudders, Bradford and Halifax.
We always seemed to play Hudders in the semi or final but not too often the others for whatever reason.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Thanks for the explanations guys it’s just I’ve never thought of Huddersfield as a rival. I know we are their main rivals but I don’t give two hoots about ‘em. During my main era of watching Leeds 1968-78 they weren’t anywhere near us in the league & the only time I visited their ground was for our ‘home’ game there in 1971.
On grounds where it was always a bit nasty was Manchester City at Maine Road. The ground was in Moss Side a proper inner city area that was really rough. The ground had loads of alley ways & narrow streets ( think Coronation Street ) probably the worst away you could get in terms of trouble.
Winner of the Europa League
Shadwell White
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by Shadwell White »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Thanks for the explanations guys it’s just I’ve never thought of Huddersfield as a rival. I know we are their main rivals but I don’t give two hoots about ‘em. During my main era of watching Leeds 1968-78 they weren’t anywhere near us in the league & the only time I visited their ground was for our ‘home’ game there in 1971.
On grounds where it was always a bit nasty was Manchester City at Maine Road. The ground was in Moss Side a proper inner city area that was really rough. The ground had loads of alley ways & narrow streets ( think Coronation Street ) probably the worst away you could get in terms of trouble.
Same for me. Growing up around that area and the fact that they were never anywhere near the same league we were playing in, I always watched for their results and wished them well, never seeing them as a rival, that's always been the two Sheffield clubs.
Deleted User 5081

Post by Deleted User 5081 »

Based on recent years Huddersfield gets the vote, but historically or in my time following Leeds. I always felt our biggest rival has been Sheffield United by far. There's always a high level of tension, banter between us both on and off the pitch. Even managers seem to love to hate us whomever is in charge of them over the years.
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

I live in Huddersfield ... they hate us like we dislike Man Utd. As a result of banter with mates etc from my perspective clearly the rivalry has added importance ! Regardless I would say our biggest Yorkshire rivals are Sheffield United then Wednesday. They are both clubs of a similar stature to us, whereas the likes of Bradford & Huddersfield are traditionally bottom of the second / top of the third division clubs.