League starts

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
dunboyne white
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

League starts

Post by dunboyne white »

I know the jury is out on whether it's a good thing or not, but it must certainly be unique in modern football. Since Forshaw's injury Bielsa has pretty much had a first 11 that always start when fit, with Alioski the modern day Paul Madeley (as in the 12th man that more often than not plugs whatever gap there is).

League starts out of 34 games:
34: Casilla Dallas White Harrison Klich
32: Bamford
30: Philips
25: Cooper
24: Costa
24: Ayling
22: Hernandez
18: Alioski

Next highest is Berardi with just 9.
Deleted User 728

Re: League starts

Post by Deleted User 728 »

I'd argue that Alioski is more like Eddie Gray and Dallas is Madeley.

It is unusual, you're right, and that's because the game has changed : much faster, more athletic, and don't forget with more games on this division than the old 22 team setup. We SHOULD rotate more. To be fair to Bielsa, he's not the only Leeds manager to be guilty of under-utilising his squad though...
dunboyne white
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by dunboyne white »

I’d agree that Dallas is the modern Madeley in terms of versatility.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

rigger wrote:I'd argue that Alioski is more like Eddie Gray and Dallas is Madeley.

It is unusual, you're right, and that's because the game has changed : much faster, more athletic, and don't forget with more games on this division than the old 22 team setup. We SHOULD rotate more. To be fair to Bielsa, he's not the only Leeds manager to be guilty of under-utilising his squad though...
I agree on Alioski but would emphasise that Eddie Gray is 70.
I once played against Don Revie.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Maybe we should have rotated more but hey ho if we had wouldn't be a guarantee of anything we may not have been where we are.
One or two on here call MB stubborn but that always assumes we would do better.
I'll take the risk and keep backing is decisions.

Dallas is the modern day Madeley love his attitude but also think Alioski is a very important member of the squad.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Selby White wrote:Maybe we should have rotated more but hey ho if we had wouldn't be a guarantee of anything we may not have been where we are.
One or two on here call MB stubborn but that always assumes we would do better.
I'll take the risk and keep backing is decisions.

Dallas is the modern day Madeley love his attitude but also think Alioski is a very important member of the squad.

True, we could be rotating and be happy sitting in 4th never knowing that without doing so we'd be 5 points clear of third.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Or we may have gone up last season if we had rotated then...
HalifaxWhite
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by HalifaxWhite »

I agree with you Rigger, the rotation usually helps, I would however disagree with it being in the physical regard due to the more athletic high tempo, high press and more games. If you look at our players they don't look tired and didn't look tired last year either (Klich has played 81 consecutive games now and runs more than anyone else).

I think the rotation would be useful when we enter a slump to give a mental rest as much as anything else.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

rigger wrote:Or we may have gone up last season if we had rotated then...
And of course we may have that's the issue none of us know.
We had forced rotation (injury) up front last season mainly with Roofe and Bamford (and occasionally Roberts) but the goals ratio didn't show any real difference.
We also had to switch our defence around a few times through injury and suspension) again didn't really change things.

Recently we had to rotate our midfield with Phillips suspension that certainly didn't improve things as we know. Technically him coming back is another rotation and it could be argued. In truth I thinks it's more to do with having your best players on the pitch.

Personally I believe in the saying "Don't change a winning team" but can see HW's point that there is a good reason to rotate when in a slump. I can also see the point of sticking with those you trust confident they will produce results again.

That is MB's way, we need to accept it if we believe in the man, he won't be changing anytime soon.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.