Is this season different to last (some stats)

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Nic
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Re: Is this season different to last (some stats)

Post by Nic »

CorkWhite wrote:in truth though my fellow leeds fans, isn't it absolutely fantastic to be at where we're at....

For how many years now we've been a mid table team only dreaming of being able to get into the play-off's never mind an automatic spot. We could only dream about what it would be like to get a chance like we have now. We watched teams that were considered tier 3 or tier 4 surpass us on their way to the promised land while we struggled to get wins. I have to say personally it has been a very tough time being a Leeds fan over the years but this is the moment we have been aspiring towards.

We blew it last year as Selby White's fat lady choked while changing her dress and wouldn't sing for us, but this year does feel different. As others have said all we need to do is get over the next three games, assess how we are then and how others are in the table and if we are in good stead we can then focus on winning the title rather than just getting the automatic place. The league is in our hands as it stands. Come on you white's!!!
I quite agree, this season feels different. Last season was a combination of factors, one we wobbled at the end and so lost ground, but it was also because there was two in form teams
Norwich got 33 from final 14 games, none of which they lost (2.36PPG), Sheffield United got 31 over the same period with 1 loss (2.21PPG). We got 22. At the 36 game mark last season 2 points separated 1st from 2nd and 2nd from 3rd.

This season, Forest and Fulham don't look to be consistent enough to be a serious threat, unless we majorly drop the ball. Even if we lose a couple of games. West Brom don't necessarily look like they'll run away with the title.

A few games ago I was mainly thinking we just needed to put together some runs and should keep hold of second, whereas now if we continue our run, no reason why we don't win the title. Win when Huddersfield and Fulham visit and just draw at Cardiff would be a good set of results. Six wins from ten puts us on 86, making it very difficult for Fulham or Forest, especially if one of those wins is when Fulham visit.

Of course, as with the way of a Leeds fan, a couple of bad results and I could change my mind :lol:
ilkley62
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by ilkley62 »

I cant stop looking at the league table! I'll be delighted with a 7 point gap over 3rd after Cardiff & Fulham.....lets see

A word of caution (to myself) Last season at this stage we had 2 points more & we only got 10 points from our last 9 games (17th in the form table for that period)
Having said that I think our total of 83 last season might be enough so 3 wins 3 draws & 3 defeats would leave Fulham needing 6 wins & 2 draws from their last 9.....
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

ilkley62 wrote:...A word of caution (to myself) Last season at this stage we had 2 points more & we only got 10 points from our last 9 games...
But we were only 2 points clear of third place.
I haven't calculated the possible permutations, but the Square Ball boys said it would take a bigger collapse than last year to lose it at this same stage... :silent:
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
Nic
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Nic »

kk_white wrote:
ilkley62 wrote:...A word of caution (to myself) Last season at this stage we had 2 points more & we only got 10 points from our last 9 games...
But we were only 2 points clear of third place.
I haven't calculated the possible permutations, but the Square Ball boys said it would take a bigger collapse than last year to lose it at this same stage... :silent:
If we got 10 from last 9 that puts us on 81 ...
So Fulham need 2PPG from last 9, Forest or Brentford would need to win 8 out of 9 (or W7D2).

Because of the GD Fulham would need to win 3 more games than us.

Lets look at the points for final 9 games for the history of the Championship

No top 6 team has got more than 22, so we just need 15 points, or 5 wins. The average point total is 16, so if Fulham get that, we just need 9 - or 3 wins. So getting 10 like last year would do!
ilkley62
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by ilkley62 »

Great stats, very impressive :thumbup: