Season Suspended

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Season Suspended

Post by Barlow Boy »

Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:
Leicester White wrote:The sticking point seems to be The Premier League's plan to use neutral venues... any idea why that's deemed necessary here and not in Germany?
I still don't understand why they are thinking of neutral venues. To keep the fans away i'm speculating and maybe to isolate the players better. Its going to be a strange scenario teams playing games in other teams stadiums.
There was talk of all the games taking place at St. George’s Park.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
gilesdriveby
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by gilesdriveby »

I think the benefit of palying at 1 or a small number of venues is that it decreases the numbers attending (e.g. stadium staff, TV, Medical etc. Therefore it would be easier to control, monitor or trace any individuals who might potentially test positive. It might also be wasier for squads to remain in a single place or area rather than travelling round the country to vatious venues.

Main issue not seems to be that EPL clubs in danger of relegation don't want to play at neutral venues. Essentially they would like the season voided or no relegation. Obviously SKY need these matches to be reckonable as otherwise they would be the equivalent of friendlies and attract very few viewers.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

isrodger wrote:
I do hope the EPL come down hard in any player refusing to play and across the board they refuse to pay their wages.
Why?
You can't dictate how an individual will react to a situation.
What about Bowyer and Woody when they were in court and still playing?
What if a player has a pregnant wife or a child with a condition that makes them more vulnerable or an elderly relative?
What about mental health awareness? Has it passed you by completely?

Or is it the money?
They earn so much they don't have a choice anymore??

Shameful comment.
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

I am almost certain the Premiership will resume. This opportunity is too big an opportunity for SKY and contracts and payments are voided without relegation. No play no pay. The unions (PFA) will try and have their ten penneth, however hopefully the clubs will make the players play or withdraw their wages.

Too much money resting on this for it not to happen.

As regards the EFL who gives a monkies as long as 2 clubs are relegated without playing we’re up ! If the season resumes ... we’ve got 9 games to play & we can still blow it!
isrodger

Post by isrodger »

rigger wrote:
isrodger wrote:
I do hope the EPL come down hard in any player refusing to play and across the board they refuse to pay their wages.
Why?
You can't dictate how an individual will react to a situation.
What about Bowyer and Woody when they were in court and still playing?
What if a player has a pregnant wife or a child with a condition that makes them more vulnerable or an elderly relative?
What about mental health awareness? Has it passed you by completely?

Or is it the money?
They earn so much they don't have a choice anymore??

Shameful comment.
Yes they can choose to not play but they shouldn’t be paid. End of story.

Lets get real about this virus. Less than 0.5% of those seriously effected are healthy under 40’s. Secondly the players are all going to be tested prior to playing. So they probably have more chance of getting infected outside their work environment, than within it.

We as a nation need to get back to business - this is symbolic and the players should take a lead. Why should they be paid if they refuse.

It’s a bloody good job supermarket workers didn’t take the same view as some players are expressing or else the nation would have starved.

PS - I thought you’d decided to give us all a break from your momentum / right on nonsense. Can’t you just lock yourself in a shed and have an argument with yourself for a few months.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

I don't give two monkeys for any differing views everyone has whether football or politics but can we please not revert to personal attacks on other members.
Its not only against forum rules its just a very poor way of getting a point across.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Deleted User 728

isrodger wrote: Why should they be paid if they refuse.
Because the government has stipulated that everyone should be paid up to £2500/month, that's why.

There's a principle here.

Besides all that, I'm sick of footballers being singled out when the fat cats and corporations get a free pass. Tax everyone and every organisation the same way then we wouldn't be in this mess, economically. If that means Apple leave and base their HQ somewhere else, so be it. It's wrong, end of.

Oh, and I don't have a shed or a garden so can I pop round to yours?? I'll keep 2 metres away at all times, I promise.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

If anyone wants to have a slanging match, get it done by PM please or this thread will be a-closing.

ENOUGH of the bickering :thumbup:
isrodger

Post by isrodger »

rigger wrote:
isrodger wrote: Why should they be paid if they refuse.
Because the government has stipulated that everyone should be paid up to £2500/month, that's why.

There's a principle here.

Besides all that, I'm sick of footballers being singled out when the fat cats and corporations get a free pass. Tax everyone and every organisation the same way then we wouldn't be in this mess, economically. If that means Apple leave and base their HQ somewhere else, so be it. It's wrong, end of.

Oh, and I don't have a shed or a garden so can I pop round to yours?? I'll keep 2 metres away at all times, I promise.
I will answer your question - only furloughed staff get up to £2500. It is the employers decision to furlough. On this occasion given all players are to be tested there are little or no H&S issues, players as employees should work in line with their employment contracts.

I am however pretty sure the football clubs would be happy to furlough all it’s staff of £2500 per month! However based on playing contracts that’s not possible - I strongly suspect our premiership stars would not be happy with the wage drop.

I actually agree we should just get on with it and everyone gets back to paying their taxes - a premiership player on £200k per week pays over £90k per week in tax. That is the way they directly support the NHS. As regards the clubs themselves again I agree with you it’s not like they are exempt corporation tax - they should be able to reliefs all businesses are entitled to. I also agree with your sentiment re a flat rate of tax for everyone. The most tax generative and highest GDP per capita countries broadly operate such regimes on average circa 20% & 10% income / corporation tax is the level I believe.

See we’ve got more in common than you think.
Deleted User 728

isrodger wrote:
I will answer your question - only furloughed staff get up to £2500.
Wrong.
My company told us all that if went into self-isolation they would pay us and I know a few with family members showing symptoms who did just that and they've been paid.

I also agree with your sentiment re a flat rate of tax for everyone.
That's not what I meant at all - you've misinterpreted what I said.
What I meant by "tax everyone the same way" was "tax EVERYONE" not at the same rate.
Corporations should pay corporation tax no matter who they are.
Individuals should pay the rate for their salary bracket.

See we’ve got more in common than you think.
No.
No, we don't.
Don't ever think that.