Season Suspended

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Re: Season Suspended

Post by isrodger »

This forum used to a broad church. Opinion may differ however in the round peoples posts were constructive & informative. I have had many debates with people on here who I suspect have political beliefs which are diametrically opposed to mine - ANS and Bogdan in particular spring to mind. They to their credit, are / were largely reasoned & measured in their responses to issues they disagreed with. I hope in the round they would say that level of decorum has been reciprocated.

We all have certain subject matters which we laser in on; tactics, finances, ownership, individual players etc. On occasions comments are deliberately posted to provoke debate, I’m happy to admit I’ve done this on many occasion. At the centre of most debate is football, Leeds United in particular.

This is not some left wing political forum. However it is increasingly becoming one. I know certain long established posters have left the forum as a result of the way this forum has moved. Others try to ignore certain posters comments and contribute less as a result.

Moderators - you may be happy with the way the forum is heading. However I strongly suspect unless Rigger in particular is reigned in, you will have an increasingly small circle of individuals contributing to a more and more politically biased site.

PS - Rigger - I happen to agree with you - there is a small chance Boris faked his COVID illness. His infection jolted / scared a good proportion of the nation into changing their behaviour - thus saving lives. An inspired move if true.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Right, locking this thread so the waters can calm and the silly little snipes can fade away.

Anyone having an issue with anyone personally, take it to PM! And that includes me.
arfa
Luke Aylings Scrunchie maker

Post by arfa »

Regular training might resume on 25 May with a view to completing the season from 6 June onwards. This is best case scenario though, every possibility of things being delayed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52651502
Blanc de blanc
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by Blanc de blanc »

I passed Marcelo walking to the training ground a couple of days ago, hope it was to get things going again and not just pick up his mug (I maintained a safe social distance of course).
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

If we don't end up playing the last nine games it seems we'll go up as champions on a points per game basis.

So if you take the number of points we have (71) and divide it by the number of games played (37) and then correct it to three decimal places you get 1.919, so the year we were founded.

Is Norman working his magic already?
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
Nic
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Nic »

mapperleywhite wrote:If we don't end up playing the last nine games it seems we'll go up as champions on a points per game basis.

So if you take the number of points we have (71) and divide it by the number of games played (37) and then correct it to three decimal places you get 1.919, so the year we were founded.

Is Norman working his magic already?
Destiny, surely :thumbup:
Deleted User 2747

Post by Deleted User 2747 »

isrodger wrote:
This is not some left wing political forum. However it is increasingly becoming one. I know certain long established posters have left the forum as a result of the way this forum has moved. Others try to ignore certain posters comments and contribute less as a result.

Moderators - you may be happy with the way the forum is heading. However I strongly suspect unless Rigger in particular is reigned in, you will have an increasingly small circle of individuals contributing to a more and more politically biased site.

I read this with astonishment.

As someone on the left politically, I have found this forum to lean much more towards the centre and the right.
I myself, in the past, have been insulted and patronised and in general been told I am 'wrong' for my leftist viewpoint. I respect that the majority opinion is not one I share and that is why, I no longer get involved in political discussions and generally stay away from the forum.

You say, 'However I strongly suspect unless Rigger in particular is reigned in' ....How is this showing tolerance of a different point of view,? This is just a very unnecessary thing to say about a stalwart of this forum.

There is an increasing and automatic assumption of' rightness, from those that support the increasingly right wing mainstream, in this country. All those that have differing and opposing viewpoints are called 'Marxists'; the 'loony hard left' or some such other nonsense, and their patriotism is called into question.

What is happening in this country reminds me of Soviet Russia. Government propaganda, Pravda, the silencing of the opposition, removal of basic rights that took a century to achieve and many more things that people seem happy to ignore.

I love my country, but I am incredibly sad and fearful about the route it has taken over the last decade. I defend my right to have that opinion.

I realise this discussion was a week or so ago, but, I think this needed an alternative point of view.

I wish you and everyone well.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Frankie wrote:
isrodger wrote:

As someone on the left politically, I have found this forum to lean much more towards the centre and the right.
I myself, in the past, have been insulted and patronised and in general been told I am 'wrong' for my leftist viewpoint. I respect that the majority opinion is not one I share and that is why, I no longer get involved in political discussions and generally stay away from the forum.

You say, 'However I strongly suspect unless Rigger in particular is reigned in' ....How is this showing tolerance of a different point of view,? This is just a very unnecessary thing to say about a stalwart of this forum.

There is an increasing and automatic assumption of' rightness, from those that support the increasingly right wing mainstream, in this country. All those that have differing and opposing viewpoints are called 'Marxists'; the 'loony hard left' or some such other nonsense, and their patriotism is called into question.

What is happening in this country reminds me of Soviet Russia. Government propaganda, Pravda, the silencing of the opposition, removal of basic rights that took a century to achieve and many more things that people seem happy to ignore.

I love my country, but I am incredibly sad and fearful about the route it has taken over the last decade. I defend my right to have that opinion.

I realise this discussion was a week or so ago, but, I think this needed an alternative point of view.

:thumbup:

Well said Frankie, and that comes from someone guilty of annoying you, not my aim I might add.
Deleted User 2747

Post by Deleted User 2747 »

Another Northern Soul wrote:
Frankie wrote:
isrodger wrote:

Well said Frankie, and that comes from someone guilty of annoying you, not my aim I might add.
Deleted User 10180

Post by Deleted User 10180 »

A wise person once told me not to get involved in discussions about politics, religion and football as it usually ends up with people falling out. He was right of course, too often i have seen it in every walk of life. I tend not to get stuck with the details of this particular argument on here as it can go very wrong for me. I do however tend to agree with the concept of having your opinion on all sides of the spectrum. I don't even care whether i'm a left leaning, right leaning or a center. Generally speaking I don't even know what way I lean as I've no interest in it. Can a person be all of them at the same time? Like a rainbow minded person? I'm not even sure what that means either.

I was going to write more about the posts that were wrote before Frankie's post but I'm staying away from it as it's like opening a can of worms that only leads to further people leaving or taking a sabbatical like i had to recently do.
All i can say is let's keep it civil, If you feel strongly in your opinion and have the need to respond take it to the Private message instead of flooding the message board with something that can be construed as being over zealous and over opinionated and downright rude as was the case for me.