Season Suspended

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
One Eyed Thompson
Brian McDermott's optician

Re: Season Suspended

Post by One Eyed Thompson »

I was going to post this yesterday and then thought I'd leave it in case someone thought it was an April Fool's joke - this is only a 90% tongue-in-cheek suggestion!

If/when it becomes clear that this season can't be concluded what about each of the remaining fixtures are completed by a televised rock, paper, scissors? Current points totals are honoured, goal difference is frozen, 3 points for a win, 1 for a draw! It could be played out on a daily basis on the same schedule as the games were due to be played - Leeds play Cardiff, West Brom play Birmingham etc.

Sky could even broadcast it, bookies could take online bets (imagine a £5 accumulator on Rock, Paper, Scissors!) and it would give us footballing public some excitement.

Imagine the preparation Marcelo Bielsa would put into the psychology of the game :lol:

I know, it's a bizarre idea but I'm going stir crazy with no work, no football, no pub and it would still be more satisfying than calling the whole season null and void.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

I'm ooot. :D
psquithy
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by psquithy »

The season has been cancelled in Belgium with Bruges named as Champions.

There was only one game to go though - and it does not mention promotion or relegation.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52138270

This has more though - there were to be playoffs between the top 6 to finalise European places and who are the Champions and relegation does seem to have happened

https://www.goal.com/en/news/belgiums-p ... sjj9zq410e
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

To be fair Bruges had already won it, 15 points clear with one game to play was a no brainer decision that even the most determined opponent couldn't complain about.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Selby White wrote:To be fair Bruges had already won it, 15 points clear with one game to play was a no brainer decision that even the most determined opponent couldn't complain about.
No one in their right/reasonable mind would claim Liverpool are going to blow it yet there is and probably will be opposition to them being awarded the title, that will be a ridiculous stance if the season can't be completed. I 100% do not understand why anyone believes voiding our season would be the right thing to do.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Another Northern Soul wrote:
Selby White wrote:To be fair Bruges had already won it, 15 points clear with one game to play was a no brainer decision that even the most determined opponent couldn't complain about.
No one in their right/reasonable mind would claim Liverpool are going to blow it yet there is and probably will be opposition to them being awarded the title, that will be a ridiculous stance if the season can't be completed. I 100% do not understand why anyone believes voiding our season would be the right thing to do.
The problem is though that Liverpool can't be awarded the title unless all other factors eg promotion's, relegation's, in all leagues, are also determined on current placings.
I once played against Don Revie.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

johnh wrote:
Another Northern Soul wrote:
The problem is though that Liverpool can't be awarded the title unless all other factors eg promotion's, relegation's, in all leagues, are also determined on current placings.
Why?

As has been suggested, they could cancel all relegations but deliver with the promotions and the League Title.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Hmmm ... morally, I don't think I can accept us going up on that basis.
We all know what happened last season and there's every chance it would happen again had this one continued normally.
There's also a chance the players and Bielsa would've learned the lesson and ensured they got over the line, but it's not guaranteed by any stretch of the imagination, is it ? Certainly not by the distance Liverpool would have won the title by.
I wonder how Liverpool fans feel in their heart of hearts ?
Would they be happy to get it that way ?
I don't think I would be, even if it's almost mathematically impossible for City to catch them.

I think what I'm saying is that despite the fact we'd be promoted, I'm not sure we should be.
If this season is scrapped all over the world then I think the only things that should be allowed to happen are the mathematical certainties or 95%ers, like Liverpool.
So as in Belgium where the championship title had already been settled, that's fine. Same with the non-league winners that have been cheated out of promotion. Likewise, sides already down should go down, but for the ones still in the balance if you're going to nullify the season then all the rest should stay put from a moral standpoint.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

rigger wrote:Hmmm ... morally, I don't think I can accept us going up on that basis.
We all know what happened last season and there's every chance it would happen again had this one continued normally.
There's also a chance the players and Bielsa would've learned the lesson and ensured they got over the line, but it's not guaranteed by any stretch of the imagination, is it ? Certainly not by the distance Liverpool would have won the title by.
I don't think I would be, even if it's almost mathematically impossible for City to catch them.

I think what I'm saying is that despite the fact we'd be promoted, I'm not sure we should be.
If this season is scrapped all over the world then I think the only things that should be allowed to happen are the mathematical certainties or 95%ers, like Liverpool.
So as in Belgium where the championship title had already been settled, that's fine. Same with the non-league winners that have been cheated out of promotion. Likewise, sides already down should go down, but for the ones still in the balance if you're going to nullify the season then all the rest should stay put from a moral standpoint.
I was saying to my daughter and i think it goes along similar lines. If we got promoted now we'd never hear the end of "you'd have blown it etc"

Still I personally would take that.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

rigger wrote:Hmmm ... morally, I don't think I can accept us going up on that basis.

MORALLY? You think it's more 'moral' to void the season and basically erase it from history? If they void the season then that literally is regressing IMO, and making a mockery of sport. And yes, before anyone accuses me of bias, I would say that even if not a Leeds fan :D

Anyway, with good humour I'll refrain from repeating myself about this, there's no point in me arguing it with mates :thumbup: