Varney refused to play?

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
dlw10
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Re: Varney refused to play?

Post by dlw10 »

As Pecky and ONS have said all very understandable and to some extent sensible that he didn't play. HOWEVER I still find it disappointing and consider it just one more sign as to how football has become "not quite the game we all love". First, Varney would know we were in a mess with few striking options so wouldn't it have been nice if he had said "OK Boss, understand the situation, I'll give it one more big effort"; second, in the old days a player would want to play his farewell game and give the supporters a chance to say farewell too - he could have played the game and then at the end made it clear he was going by going around the ground applauding us, we'd have understood and I am sure would have thanked him in the appropriate manner; third...I've just forgotten the third ! But you get my drift. It is just so sad how practicalities and money now dominates the game that used to be all about emotions.
Deleted User 130

Post by Deleted User 130 »

Yes but he didn't want to play, Dave, and no one can change a player's mind if he is more concerned with his immediate future/new employer than he is about the team who he is (probably) leaving.

Long gone are the days of being surprised or disappointed by the deeds of professional footballers, I'm sorry to say.
dlw10

Post by dlw10 »

No, I know he didn't want to and therefore was never going to, I was just sighing out loud that it is another sign of how unlike the "old" days the situation was. I know those days are long gone but at least I can console myself with the memories of when the game was "honourable", wrong word but you will get my drift.
isrodger

Post by isrodger »

BMC should not have said this - a simple "he is in the process of negotiating his transfer to another club" was sufficient. 'Didn't want to play' -makes like the lad went on strike. I always thought he was not going to be good enough, however he is a good squad player and gave his all when he played. NO need to sullen the lads name.
Deleted User 130

isrodger wrote:BMC should not have said this - a simple "he is in the process of negotiating his transfer to another club" was sufficient. 'Didn't want to play' -makes like the lad went on strike. I always thought he was not going to be good enough, however he is a good squad player and gave his all when he played. NO need to sullen the lads name.
Perhaps he shouldn't have said it but you heard him say it and tbh I don't think there is any intimation to say that Varney was refusing to play or that he would go on strike. What came across to me in the interview was that BMcD is a) hacked off with the situation and b) disappointed with Varney for not wanting to play. I don't think any less of Varney and I doubt he would give a damn what we think of him anyway... he isn't a big loss but I think he WAS a big loss last night!
Sheepy
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by Sheepy »

If he didn't want to play because he feared injury then he would not have put in a performance at all, the best end result was him being excluded. The fact the player instigated that situation is by the by, it was probably the best solution.

The fact is we now desperately need another striker, do we have funds? If we have the funds and I don't doubt we will have 'some' funds can McDertmott access them because of the ownership issues?

Will we see Lewis Walters?
Lairy on the Lowfields
Luke Aylings Scrunchie maker

Post by Lairy on the Lowfields »

Anybody know if he's gone or not? Gonna look a bit daft if a bid fails to materialise. Then again who will notice one more clown at the Cirque de Leeds? :crazy:
Gilford_NI_Whites
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by Gilford_NI_Whites »

I wonder if he pocketed his wages for that week ?

If he refused to play, rightly or wrongly, then he should refuse his wages for that week and donate them to charity.
Deleted User 130

No one has said he refused to play.
+15
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by +15 »

onenorthernsoul wrote:No one has said he refused to play.
In the post match interview BMD said he pulled Varney out of the team.