Norman Hunter R.I.P.

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Re: Norman Hunter R.I.P.

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Paul ITFC wrote:Hi
I am an Ipswich Town supporter and have been for almost all of my 69 years but I had a lot of love for Don Revie's teams and often saw Leeds play in London including being at the 1972 and 1973 F.A. Cup Finals.
I still have the yellow,blue and white wool scarf that I purchased at Elland Road in either 1969 or 1970 when I was there with ITFC.

I might never post on this site again but I just wanted to register to say:-

RIP Norman Hunter and thank you for the pleasure that I got from watching you and your teammates play.
Welcome in Paul there’s a lot of us on here from the same era as yourself. Always wanted us to sign Mick Mills thought he was a terrific player.
Take care & keep safe.

MOT ( whichever team you support )
Winner of the Europa League
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

NottinghamWhite wrote:
Paul ITFC wrote:Hi
I am an Ipswich Town supporter and have been for almost all of my 69 years but I had a lot of love for Don Revie's teams and often saw Leeds play in London including being at the 1972 and 1973 F.A. Cup Finals.
I still have the yellow,blue and white wool scarf that I purchased at Elland Road in either 1969 or 1970 when I was there with ITFC.

I might never post on this site again but I just wanted to register to say:-

RIP Norman Hunter and thank you for the pleasure that I got from watching you and your teammates play.
Welcome in Paul there’s a lot of us on here from the same era as yourself. Always wanted us to sign Mick Mills thought he was a terrific player.
Take care & keep safe.

Welcome Paul :thumbup:

Talking about Mick Mills in 2006 I was in Nashville the date of the Play Off semi 1st leg against Preston so asked on Tripadvisor if there was anywhere in the City I would be able to watch the match.
Whether its the man or himself that replied i'll never know but a certain Mick Mills replied he had watched his team Ipswich Town the year before in a certain Sports bar.
It turned out just over the road from my hotel and did show the match :thumbup:
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Phil147
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by Phil147 »

Been taking my time before posting on this as it really hit home for some reason. I did see Norman play at Elland Road but it was for Bristol City and not Leeds so he was before my time really.
I think the fact that I used to listen to him on Radio Leeds and saw him interviewed so many times it feels like a bit more of a personal loss than it would normally. I'm still struggling to put into words exactly why it has affected me so much...

I did 'meet' the great man briefly a couple of times at functions at Elland Road and he was a genuinely nice bloke, I know that sounds a bit trite but I've no other way of putting it.

As for his ability as a player I will leave that to those that saw him in his pomp playing for Leeds but suffice to say they don't make them like that anymore.

Henry Winter did a really nice write up about him in The Times Saturday edition and called out despite the hard man image what a fantastic player he was and also a real gentleman.

Had the scarf hanging out of the window over the weekend and I put on my retro admiral trackie top when I took the dog for a walk.

R.I.P Norman. The Don is starting to put a helluva team together up there... Let's hope he has to wait a very long while before he gets anymore to choose from though.
Leicester White
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by Leicester White »

I'm feeling the same as Phil147 - this loss has got to me more than any other Leeds legend.
Leicester White
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by Leicester White »

Norman making my little girl's day and mine!
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Phil147 wrote:Been taking my time before posting on this as it really hit home for some reason. I did see Norman play at Elland Road but it was for Bristol City and not Leeds so he was before my time really.
I think the fact that I used to listen to him on Radio Leeds and saw him interviewed so many times it feels like a bit more of a personal loss than it would normally. I'm still struggling to put into words exactly why it has affected me so much...

I did 'meet' the great man briefly a couple of times at functions at Elland Road and he was a genuinely nice bloke, I know that sounds a bit trite but I've no other way of putting it.

As for his ability as a player I will leave that to those that saw him in his pomp playing for Leeds but suffice to say they don't make them like that anymore.

Henry Winter did a really nice write up about him in The Times Saturday edition and called out despite the hard man image what a fantastic player he was and also a real gentleman.

Had the scarf hanging out of the window over the weekend and I put on my retro admiral trackie top when I took the dog for a walk.

R.I.P Norman. The Don is starting to put a helluva team together up there... Let's hope he has to wait a very long while before he gets anymore to choose from though.
It doesn't sound trite at all mate, I think you've summed it up perfectly as Norman loved Leeds and loved the fans and he always had a smile and was ready to chat every time I ever saw him. It seemed obvious that he was just an ordinary chap with extraordinary skills and that he felt privileged to play football for a living and for an extended 'family'. This might sound trite actually but I always got the impression he didn't realise how much pleasure he gave people when meeting them.
BrighouseWhite
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by BrighouseWhite »

I stopped at the ground on my way home on Sunday morning to read the tributes and don't mind admitting I shed a tear or two.
A mention also for Eddie Gray who has had 3 days of media interviews in what must be an emotional time for him.
There's light at the end of the tunnel and the future's looking very bright indeed.
Paul ITFC
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by Paul ITFC »

NottinghamWhite wrote:
Take care & keep safe.

Thank you.

I loved Mick Mills, he was ITFC's best ever RB best ever LB and best ever captain. He was not bad in midfield either.

He made his England debut in 1972 against Yugoslavia and I just checked to see if Norman Hunter played in that game but he didn't.
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

Leicester White wrote:Norman making my little girl's day and mine!
LW -that's a top photo. I've shared it on my FB. Thanks
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
Deleted User 2747

Post by Deleted User 2747 »

NottinghamWhite wrote:A memory I’ll take to the grave with me 1974 at the Baseball Ground, Derby.

Yes, I was there that night too.

RIP Bites yer legs Hunter