49 years ago today

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: 49 years ago today

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Selby White wrote:I've said it many times and anyone on here that was at that game will tell you the same it wasn't the only bad decision that day. Leeds were continually flagged offside leading up to the goal.
That was the decision that was the last straw and an already angry crowd reacted as one.

I can understand younger members saying he wasn't intefering with play for the initial offside however the rules were different back then.
Others say play to the whistle but it was so far offside both teams initially stopped.
As ANS points out even West Brom players accept it was offside.
Thing is though Mick, the referee gave offsides when the linesman in question flagged, but not for this crucial one. The linesman he ignored could have given the second pass as offside too. We had a goal disallowed earlier in the half but having watched it loads of times, TBF I think it was offside, just.

There's no 'TBF' about WBA goal though, it shouldn't have been allowed.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

When I lived in Torquay in the early 80’s I got to know Tony Bomber Brown reasonably well ( he played for the Gulls ) & he admitted to me it was definitely off side & couldn’t believe the goal was given.
Winner of the Europa League
Leicester White
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by Leicester White »

Selby White wrote:
Leicester White wrote:Did the Midlands team give us a goal from the restart to make it fair?
Wouldn't have mattered Tinkler would have disallowed it :x
LOL
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by PhoenixUnited »

Oh my days! To this day I get angry and annoyed at the injustice of it all. Quite irrationally I hated West Brom for decades afterwards when in reality it wasn't their fault that the referee made stupid and unbelievably bad and wrong decisions. Why he had those lapses has been the question for ever it seems and conspiracy theories were given to rise. :roll: :shock:
Keep The Faith / WAL