Nostalgia

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Re: Nostalgia

Post by NottinghamWhite »

What great viewing that is one bit of sublime skill from Eddie on George Best. This & the Southampton game are up there for total football what a day what a memory.

On On On
Winner of the Europa League
Leicester White
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by Leicester White »

Selby White wrote:Football you dream about -

Enjoy :-

Sir Bobby Charlton is a gentleman.
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

Brilliant viewing.

MY MAN JOHNNY:
40 yards right foot, 6mins 11secs
Calls for ball back, 6mins 21 secs
30 yards right foot, 6 mins 26 secs

Love it.
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Leeds United 10 Lyn Oslo 0

This was our first game in the European Cup & what a start against the Norwegian champions. On the previous weekend I had a trip to Hillsborough to see us get a 2-1 victory to put us in good stead for this game. Allan Clarke a signing in the summer was starting to show the form we were all hoping for. Goals from O’Grady ( not a regular starter & was on the transfer list ) a hat trick for Mick Jones & braces for Clarke, Bremner & Giles were too much for the opposition that night. Paul Wilcox in The Guardian wrote “ Leeds United's vast experience of European competition was not needed last night. They could have played their youth team & still have won convincingly “
Jan Myrhe Lyn’s manager added that “ our crowd particularly wants to see Allan Clarke & Jack Charlton of all the Leeds stars “ Don said “ rest assured if they are fit they will definitely play “
I went to this game with a friend Trevor who at half time as they paraded the board with the winning programme number found he had won the prize of £10 a weeks wages back then. I’ve never seen anyone cling onto something so much in my life :D

Imagefree pic hosting
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

15th November 1967

Little did I know as I was getting dressed for school that my life would change that day. As I came downstairs our neighbour Bruce Pickup was talking to my dad. Bruce was a Sunderland season ticket holder along with his wife who apparently wasn’t well. Did I want to go to tonight’s league cup game against Leeds I was asked. Yes was my response so upon arriving home early from school I was bedecked in a red & white scarf & a pom-pom hat of the same colours. When we arrived at Roker Park I was handed a blanket as I was told the ground got at night, he wasn’t wrong.
Onto the game Leeds were comfortable winners beating the Mackems 2-0 with a brace from Jimmy Greenhoff. On the journey back to North Yorkshire I told Bruce that I was now a Leeds fan & despite him arguing the virtues of following The Black Cats I wasn’t having any of it.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

28th April 1969
Liverpool 0 Leeds United 0

A days holiday booked & picked up by Scarborough Supporters Club led by Maltese John on my way to my first visit to Anfield & what a visit it would be. Avoid defeat & all the hard work Don had put in the last 8 years would see us win the holy grail of the league title. Packed in the away section of the ground the atmosphere was very tense but it was made worse as Liverpool created chance after chance. Jack Charlton from memory was magnificent that night as he controlled the defence ably assisted by the other players notably Madeley & Hunter. The ref eventually blew the final whistle what happened next was totally unforeseen under Dons instructions Billy led the players to the packed Kop where for a little while they stood there then suddenly the chant of Champions went up then the Leeds players stated waving & hugging each other. The legendary Bill Shankly sent the Liverpool players to the away end where they were met with rapturous applause from the travelling fans. A truly memorable night & one I’ll never forget.

Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Thanks for sharing that NW, two years before I was even born and I’ve read about it numerous times, but getting a personal account is special.

Thanks again :thumbup:
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

8th May 2010
Leeds United 2 Bristol Rovers 1

This was our third season in League One three seasons of hardly missing a game home or away. Exotic places visited like Roots Hall, Whaddon Road, Prenton Park & Gresty Road but we’d had enough of this league now was the time to get promoted back to the Championship. Pre match drinks were consumed at The Whistlestop & down to Elland Road we went. The game started well but just after half an hour Ivorian Max Gradel was sent off for taking a kick at Daniel Jones. Gradel totally lost the plot & Jermaine Beckford could be seen trying to drag him off the pitch. Our first half performance despite the incredible atmosphere inside the ground was a real letdown. Worst was to come pantomime villain Jones crossed the ball to Kuffour which he passed to Duffy who tapped home an easy chance to put the Pirates 1-0 up. The crowd went from a cauldron of noise to total silence. On comes Johnny Howson & the fight back begins with a excellent shot from the edge of the area to ping into the goal. This equaliser took the noise levels up several gears ( best atmosphere I can remember at ER ) then Beckford, Captain for the day put the ball in the net to up the noise levels even higher. From my seat in the East Stand amidst the noise the Rovers players looked petrified & clearly wanted to be off the pitch. At the final whistle the noise & atmosphere were superb. In the coach park we went into the luggage hold & got out several bottles of fizz & glasses now the party was starting but not just with us but every coach from all over the country. Hugs & noisy chants were the order of the day. We had done it.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Barlow Boy wrote:Thanks for sharing that NW, two years before I was even born and I’ve read about it numerous times, but getting a personal account is special.

Thanks again :thumbup:
Unbelievable experience for a 17 year old Mate absolutely fantastic night. Once outside Liverpool the coach pulled into a lay-by & loads of crates were brought into the coach & the party started. ;)
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

Leicester White wrote:
Selby White wrote:Football you dream about -

Enjoy :-

Sir Bobby Charlton is a gentleman.
Quality side. How much would that side be worth day. In the words of Harry Enfield...Loadsamoney!