Nostalgia

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Nostalgia

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Back in 1967 myself Neil & Ralph ( infamously known as the ladies bicycle seat sniffer in Gary Edwards book Paint it White book ) set off from North Yorkshire on our regular trips to Leeds, 50 miles away firstly by catching a bus to Malton then the train to Leeds. Sadly Pickering station had been part of the cuts by Dr Richard Beeching some years earlier. Upon arriving at Leeds we would head for British Home Stores to have lunch. We then walked to the ground, I still remember the butterflies in my stomach as we approached Elland Road. By doing 2 paper rounds I was able to cover the cost of this day out which was 30/= in today’s money £1:50. A summer job at a local rose growing farm also helped cover the cost.
We saw the Revie team just starting to look like world beaters there was the day we beat Chelsea 7-0 after Tommy Docherty had walked out on them the day before this was in October 1967. This game is still a football league record in so much as there was seven different scorers that day, Johanneson, Greenhoff, Charlton, Lorimer, Gray, Hinton (own goal ) & Bremner.
Eric Stanger of the Yorkshire Post reported, “Bremner teased and tormented them with his astonishing dexterity of foot and his remarkable sense of balance so that he could turn and twist on the proverbial sixpence”. It was Bremner’s spectacular Brazilian-style bicycle-kick eight minutes from time which crowned a five-star Leeds performance.
The team that day was Sprake, Reaney, Madeley, Bremner, Charlton, Hunter, Greenhoff, Lorimer, Jones ( Hibbitt ) Gray, Johanneson
Winner of the Europa League
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Nostalgia

Post by Selby White »

I can't be 100% certain but I believe that Chelsea match was my first ever game, if not its the first I can remember.
Would have been 9 years old at the time and that's when my parents started taking me.

Got my first season ticket the following season in the West Stand paddock.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Can still remember the chants of Tommy Doc, Tommy Doc is it true what mummy said you won’t be come back to the tune of Keith West’s song Grocer Jack. Also Stamford Bridge is falling down, falling down so are Chelsea.
Wonderful terrace humour.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Selby White wrote:I can't be 100% certain but I believe that Chelsea match was my first ever game, if not its the first I can remember.
Would have been 9 years old at the time and that's when my parents started taking me.

Got my first season ticket the following season in the West Stand paddock.
What a first game to attend :D
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

1972 Leeds United 5 Scum 1

Since gaining promotion back in 1964 Don always regarded Scum as the yardstick by which to measure his own teams performance. After a goalless first half in front of 45,394 fans no one expected the 2nd half that followed. Goals from Mick Jones a hat trick, Clarke & Lorimer saw us totally dominate the opposition

Mick Jones was probably the most unselfish player I’ve seen in a Leeds shirt doing a lot of the work to set up ‘Sniffer’ Clarke. As he scored his hat trick the chant of Easy Easy went up inside Elland Road. We hadn’t just beaten them we had hammered ‘em.

psquithy
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by psquithy »

NottinghamWhite wrote:1972 Leeds United 5 Scum 1

Since gaining promotion back in 1964 Don always regarded Scum as the yardstick by which to measure his own teams performance. After a goalless first half in front of 45,394 fans no one expected the 2nd half that followed. Goals from Mick Jones a hat trick, Clarke & Lorimer saw us totally dominate the opposition

Mick Jones was probably the most unselfish player I’ve seen in a Leeds shirt doing a lot of the work to set up ‘Sniffer’ Clarke. As he scored his hat trick the chant of Easy Easy went up inside Elland Road. We hadn’t just beaten them we had hammered ‘em.

Wow - the Manchester team had some big names that day according to the program.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

psquithy wrote:
NottinghamWhite wrote:1972 Leeds United 5 Scum 1

Yes, but Man U only played with 10 men as Reaney had Best in his pocket for 90 minutes.
I once played against Don Revie.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

psquithy wrote:
Speak to any of the Revie boys & to a man they will tell you that Bobby Charlton was the best player they ever played against. George Best on his day was a special talent, Denis Law was a great goal poacher ( one of my favourite none Leeds players ) Stepney was a good keeper, Willie Morgan was a similar player to Best & Sadler was good at wing back. That day though they were taught a football lesson :D
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Ultimate nostalgia.

I remember when Leeds played in old gold shirts with blue sleeves and collar.
I once played against Don Revie.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Football you dream about -

Enjoy :-

Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.