Nostalgia

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Re: Nostalgia

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Not a good memory but certainly a day to test the resolve of any Leeds fan, the game in question was Histon 1 Leeds United 0. Leaving Nottingham early in the rain we travelled to Cambridgeshire in a packed mini bus most were on the lagers by the time I was picked up. A quick phone call determined that a pub was opening early for us & this pub was The Black Bull in Godmanchester. As we approached the pub we could see 2 coaches of fans were already in situ. On to the game parking next to a leisure centre we walked down the hill thinking this was going to be easy. The game took place in dreadful conditions heavy rain & swirling rain. Leeds never got started & were totally outplayed in front of the ITV cameras. The result was one of the the biggest shocks the cup had produced for years, the last time I’d seen us humiliated like this was at Colchester inn1971. In the minibus on the way home we were totally devastated at the inept performance the team had put in. This was without doubt the lowest point in all the years I’d followed the club, the question on all our lips was it worth it ?

Winner of the Europa League
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

NottinghamWhite wrote:A really bad day at the office.

https://twitter.com/lufchistory/status/ ... 44736?s=21
Why was the result allowed to stand :twisted:
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Tranmere Rovers v Leeds United 11-08-2007

Arriving at Prenton Park around midday we headed for The Mersey Clipper pub near the ground & already there was a good number of our fans drinking in there. We’d had a 15 point deduction & it really felt like it was us against the world. When we got into a very packed away end we knew that Tranmere, like many others would up their game against us. Halfway through the first half & Rovers took the lead & despite giving our all went in at halftime 1-0 down. In the second half Matt Heath equalised & with time quickly running out we felt a point was all we would get from the game but in the last minute Tresor Kandol stepped up & scored the winner sending the away end into a frenzy. I’ve witnessed many away ends following the club but on this particular day this was indeed special.

On the YouTube clip note the lone Leeds fan celebrating in the right hand corner :D
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

I'm loving this thread that it includes old stuff and closer to nowadays.

Would love to hear/see stuff from 76-82 era, yes not our best but when I was an informed Leeds fan at such a young age :thumbup:
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Spot the mistake on the match ticket.

Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

December? :o
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Mr Russell wrote: Would love to hear/see stuff from 76-82 era, yes not our best but when I was an informed Leeds fan at such a young age :thumbup:
Personally I didn't miss many games in that era.

In March 1976 was an Apprentice Electrician working at a decent sized factory (350 workers). We were busy so everyone on the day shift was expected to work every other Saturday morning. I quickly volunteered to do the overtime rota and strangely my turn always fell for Leeds home games (could catch the 1230pm train to Leeds :D ). Day off on away games so could attend virtually all of them :thumbup:

Remember visiting the enemy (Man Utd) for a night match in March 78 and it was always a bit nasty there. At that time it was one of a handful of places Leeds didn't take big numbers as it was dodgy to say the least. Added to the fact lots struggled getting time off work to travel to away night matches,
there was only a couple of hundred of us in the corner to witness a 1-0 victory with Allan Clarke getting the winner. That was the last time we had a small following there the following year we filled the Scoreboard End.
More sweet as we had recently sold them Joe Jordan & Gordan McQueen (remember Jordan played but don't believe McQueen did for whatever reason).

Had to leg it back to the car after the match but with a smile on our faces, one of only two occasions I've been there to see us win on that ground :D
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Mr Russell wrote:December? :o
We did play them on Dec 6th 2008, lost 2-1, Enoch Showunmi scored :shock:
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

My first visit to Old Trafford was the 1969-70 season when we drew 2-2 Billy got one of the goals. We played them 5 times that season resulting in 4 draws & a Leeds win at Burnden Park ( another Billy goal being the one that took us to Wembley) I remember we played them in the first game of the 70-71 season, beating them 1-0.