Nostalgia

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Saxon
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Re: Nostalgia

Post by Saxon »

I had a rattle early 60's. It was a massive ex military or Home Guard issue.
My Grandfather told me they used them as a warning in the trenches in the first world war, when the Germans fired poison gas.
He actually got gassed, chlorine, but recovered.
He told me stories of playing football with the Germans on Christmas day, then the next day shooting and shelling each other.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

In season 1964/65 I played my first season for Harrogate Town. There was a pre-season 6 a side competition at Harrogate's Wetherby Road ground. It was won by Leeds United Juniors. Their team was: David Harvey, Dennis Hawkins, Mick Bates, Eddie Gray (Capt), Bobby Sibbald and Terry Hibbett.
The six a side final was followed by an 'exhibition match' between Leeds United and Harrogate Town. I played in that game. I don't have a record of the Leeds team but do remember a few names: Harvey (played again) Barrie Wright, Jimmy Greenhoff, John Hawksby, Terry Cooper, Rod Johnson. Can't remember the score.
I cadged a lift back to Leeds on the Leeds United coach and I always remember that I was sat in the seat behind the young Eddie Gray and he talked non-stop about football during the whole of the journey back to Leeds.
Don Revie wasn't in attendance. The Leeds players were looked after by Sid Owen and the guy who was Don Revies right hand man (can't remember his name).
I once played against Don Revie.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

johnh wrote: The Leeds players were looked after by Sid Owen and the guy who was Don Revies right hand man (can't remember his name).
Was possibly Maurice Lindley ?
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Selby White wrote:
johnh wrote: The Leeds players were looked after by Sid Owen and the guy who was Don Revies right hand man (can't remember his name).
Just looked it up - Les Cocker.
I once played against Don Revie.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

johnh wrote:
Selby White wrote:
Just looked it up - Les Cocker.
Yes he was coach/trainer with the Don, also on his days off coach to the England team for many years including a certain victory in 1966.
When the Don went to manage England he took Les full time as Assistant manager.

Maurice Lindley was Leeds assistant manager from 61 to 81 and did the main job as caretaker between Clough & Armfield and also before Adamson I think.

Edit - Lindley was at the helm as caretaker manager on 4 separate occasions.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Emilis
Giddy Kipper

Post by Emilis »

Moderator Message:
Advertising Links not allowed have removed from this post
- Selby White
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Winner of the Europa League