Nostalgia

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Nostalgia

Post by Selby White »

NottinghamWhite wrote:
Selby White wrote:
NottinghamWhite wrote:Got me thinking to 1985 Luton Town v Millwall & the rioting that night. It was a cup replay & hell broke out. Am pretty sure it was a televised game as well .
Bit of football trivia - Who was Millwall manager that night, later in his career became Leeds boss ?
One GG ;)
:thumbup:
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

Paul ITFC wrote:
johnh wrote:
Kevin Beattie, what a player. Should have been a regular in the England team.

The Beat was the best all round footballer that I ever saw and ever will see,he had everything.

He had pace, power, great in the air, great in the tackle, rocket shot, could pass.

I have a picture of him at Wembley 1978 as the avatar on the ITFC Forum that I am on.

He only played 9 times for England but on ability it should have been 109, his career was ravaged by injury and he was only 27 when he played his last game for Ipswich breaking his arm in the 1981 F.A. Cup Semi Final.

As you probably know the great man passed away in September 2018,tragic.
Alan Brazil told me a tale about The Beat - top lad evidently .. big drinker.

He went on superstars ... anyhow free bar night before the first day of events ... he gets well oiled in bed around 4 up at 7:30. First event 100 meters ... competitors are there in spikes having practised in blocks. He’s there in Adidas samba starts from a standing start and wins.

Top player evidently head & shoulders above butcher & osman.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

I pretty certain The Don wanted to sign The Beat but failed doing so. He described him as the best player in England a high accolade indeed. Paul ITFC I read somewhere they were having a statue in his memory is there one ?
Winner of the Europa League
Paul ITFC
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by Paul ITFC »

NottinghamWhite wrote:I pretty certain The Don wanted to sign The Beat but failed doing so. He described him as the best player in England a high accolade indeed. Paul ITFC I read somewhere they were having a statue in his memory is there one ?

Morning, yes the statue is built and ready to put up and in fact would probably have been up by now as it was intended to unveil it at a home game this (19/20) season. It was partly funded by supporters donations and I was proud to contribute.

As you probably know we already have very accurate statues of Sir Alf Ramsey and Sir Bobby Robson and the Keven Beattie one is by the same sculptor.I have seen photos of the completed work and it is very good.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Paul ITFC wrote:

Morning, yes the statue is built and ready to put up and in fact would probably have been up by now as it was intended to unveil it at a home game this (19/20) season. It was partly funded by supporters donations and I was proud to contribute.

As you probably know we already have very accurate statues of Sir Alf Ramsey and Sir Bobby Robson and the Keven Beattie one is by the same sculptor.I have seen photos of the completed work and it is very good.
That’s good to hear we had the same ( supporters raising money ) to get the Dons statue done. His statue was done by Graham Ibbeson who’s other works included Eric Morecambe, Cary Grant, Laurel & Hardy & is currently working on Benny Hill.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

1974 Charity Shield

Well as we travelled to London all the talk was about Don leaving & being replaced by Brian Clough, not a popular choice amongst my fellow supporters. I remember us drinking in Soho & lots of fighting between us & the Liverpool fans.( par for the course in those days )
It didn’t feel right seeing Clough lead out the team that day.

Little were we to know the game wouldn’t be remembered for the football but a fight that broke out between Billy Bremner & Kevin Keegan.

Billy was suspended for 11 games but got no support from Clough ( which proved to me rightly or wrongly he wasn’t the man for the Leeds job )
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

NottinghamWhite wrote: I remember us drinking in Soho.
Can you remember which Pubs ?
London trips regular meeting points in the later 70's around the Piccadilly/Soho area was a pub called "The Devonshire" think it was one of Jamie Olivers restaurants last time I was in London.
Others Leeds fans often went in around that area were "Snows", "Cockney Pride Tavern" & "Wards Irish House", memory isn't as bad as I thought.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Selby White wrote:
London trips regular meeting points in the later 70's around the Piccadilly/Soho area was a pub called "The Devonshire" think it was one of Jamie Olivers restaurants last time I was in London.
Others Leeds fans often went in around that area were "Snows", "Cockney Pride Tavern" & "Wards Irish House", memory isn't as bad as I thought.
We often ended up heading to Camden Town to the Mother Blackcap ( on a night it was a drag pub ) The Dublin Castle, The Engineer ( just looked & this pub was on Primrose Hill not Camden )or The Edinboro Castle. Can’t remember the pubs names in Soho but one we frequented had a blind chap who used to play the piano. It was outside this pub where it kicked off with the Liverpool fans. A group of Leeds were all wearing butchers jackets they were a tough group of lads.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

NottinghamWhite wrote:
Selby White wrote:
We often ended up heading to Camden Town to the Mother Blackcap ( on a night it was a drag pub ) The Dublin Castle, The Engineer or The Edinboro Castle. Can’t remember the pubs names in Soho but one we frequented had a blind chap who used to play the piano. It was outside this pub where it kicked off with the Liverpool fans. A group of Leeds were all wearing butchers jackets they were a tough group of lads.

Cockney Pride had a Piano, biggish place for a good sing song :D
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

One pub we did go to on a couple of times to in Cricklewood called The Three Horseshoes ( I think :roll: ) that had striptease acts on a Saturday lunchtime. This led to (remember this when North London was predominantly Irish ) to a saying amongst us that was “ the craic was good in Cricklewood “ :lol: