Nostalgia

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Leicester White
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Re: Nostalgia

Post by Leicester White »

NottinghamWhite wrote:One pub we did go to on a couple of times to in Cricklewood called The Three Horseshoes ( I think :roll: ) that had striptease acts on a Saturday lunchtime. This led to (remember this when North London was predominantly Irish ) to a saying amongst us that was “ the craic was good in Cricklewood “ :lol:
You've reminded me of my trip to Sunderland - walked into a pub pre-match and thought it was odd they were collecting a pound on the way in... turned out they had strippers who personally went round collecting change in a glass after their act. Real 70s throw back of a pub - a tv as deep as it was wide and pickled onions and sandwiches on the bar to help yourself. 2-0 to the good guys in white followed by a cracking night out in Newcastle on the Tuxedo Princess nightclub boat on the Tyne... happy days! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRmvUVyl7cY
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Just arrived in today’s post

Winner of the Europa League
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Just arrived in today’s post

I'd say that brings back some memories for a few regulars.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Davycc wrote:
It’s how I remember Lowfield’s Road from when I started going hence purchasing the print.
Winner of the Europa League
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

NottinghamWhite wrote:
Davycc wrote:
It’s how I remember Lowfield’s Road from when I started going hence purchasing the print.
Same here to only stand that hasn't changed much is the west stand although bottom half was standing.
Think my first season going they put the seats at the bottom between the tunnel and kop (similar time the roof went on the kop give or take a year).
The bottom half of the west stand between the tunnel and Scratching shed stayed standing for a few years, had my first season ticket in there.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

There used to be an alleyway outside the wall of the Gelderd Road end. One game against Liverpool they had been late opening the gates. The teams were out on the pitch and the queues at the turnstiles were hundreds of yards long. I walked all the way round the ground but all queues were massive. I managed to climb over the wall in the alleyway (4 layers of barbed wire on top) and scramble up the grass slope to the open terracing. Saw the game though. Sent a letter of complaint to the club about the poor organisation and enclosed a Postal Order for 4/6d. Honest lad me! :D Early 1960's.
I once played against Don Revie.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

johnh wrote:There used to be an alleyway outside the wall of the Gelderd Road end. One game against Liverpool they had been late opening the gates. The teams were out on the pitch and the queues at the turnstiles were hundreds of yards long. I walked all the way round the ground but all queues were massive. I managed to climb over the wall in the alleyway (4 layers of barbed wire on top) and scramble up the grass slope to the open terracing. Saw the game though. Sent a letter of complaint to the club about the poor organisation and enclosed a Postal Order for 4/6d. Honest lad me! :D Early 1960's.
Reminds me of the story of when American boxer JamesJ Braddock queued up to pay back the benefit money he had received in the 1930's depression after he had won the title and earned enough to feed his family, like you John obviously a man of honour :thumbup:

Portrayed in the Film "Cinderella Man" by another Leeds fan Russell Crowe (good film if anyone not see it).

Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

NottinghamWhite wrote:
Davycc wrote:
Sheepy put a picture up of the Lowfields stands on Twitter the other day, from the day we were the ‘last champions’, I could just about make myself out in the picture :D
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Barlow Boy wrote:
NottinghamWhite wrote:
Davycc wrote:
Sheepy put a picture up of the Lowfields stands on Twitter the other day, from the day we were the ‘last champions’, I could just about make myself out in the picture :D
On someones shoulders then !
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Davycc wrote:
Barlow Boy wrote:
NottinghamWhite wrote:
Davycc wrote:
On someones shoulders then !
No need for that young man :D, although I did need to look very, very closely.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.