Nostalgia

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Deleted User 3289

Re: Nostalgia

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

It didn't work for me. What were the board thinking? I gather Clough was already gaining a reputation as a difficult manager and i believe he was never complimentary towards Leeds anyway. Possibly the board may have said its time for a rebuild go in their and make your mark? I somehow doubt it, and anyway whatever they had in mind backfired drastically as you say.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Ever since he was appointed I’ve asked why ? Still don’t understand the reason. Don wanted Giles to take over which would have given some continuity but the chairman thought different. There’s a story that Clough was in the office wearing a green goalkeepers top, the tea lady came in & mentioned to him that Don thought green was unlucky. From that day Clough wore a green top.
Winner of the Europa League
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

45 years ago today we were cheated from winning the European Cup in Paris. I never went to the game had just started a new job & was told in no uncertain terms I couldn’t have time off. A couple of mates who did go tell how French police battered them after the games with batons. Referee Michel Kitabdjian disallowed a goal from Pete Lorimer claiming it was offside & denied two blatant penalties that night. A Leeds fan at the final whistle ran on the pitch to be removed by gendarmes but this caused Leeds fans to start rioting.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

NottinghamWhite wrote:45 years ago today we were cheated from winning the European Cup in Paris. I never went to the game had just started a new job & was told in no uncertain terms I couldn’t have time off. A couple of mates who did go tell how French police battered them after the games with batons. Referee Michel Kitabdjian disallowed a goal from Pete Lorimer claiming it was offside & denied two blatant penalties that night. A Leeds fan at the final whistle ran on the pitch to be removed by gendarmes but this caused Leeds fans to start rioting.

My Dad worked for the club then and so he went with loads of other employees but he wouldn't take me. I seem to remember it was £9 all in - ticket and travel - which was a lot of money then, especially for the v low paid ground staff. I was kind of glad I didn't go, I was distraught at the result and the scandal, and remember crying in my sleep that night at my grandma's.

That referee performance was a disgrace to football.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Another Northern Soul wrote:

My Dad worked for the club then and so he went with loads of other employees but he wouldn't take me. I seem to remember it was £9 all in - ticket and travel - which was a lot of money then, especially for the v low paid ground staff. I was kind of glad I didn't go, I was distraught at the result and the scandal, and remember crying in my sleep that night at my grandma's.

That referee performance was a disgrace to football.
I just remember being very angry, watched the game at a mates house. Never seen the game since even though I had the DVD for Christmas a few years back. Lost any respect I had for Beckenbauer that night as handled the ball for the first penalty & brought down Sniffer for the second penalty decision. Probably the worst night in the clubs history.

WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS, CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

I remember a few years ago & sat at the pool bar in Lanzarote wearing a Leeds top when I was joined by 2 guys roughly my age wearing Bayern tops. They spent the next half an hour apologising that Bayern had definitely cheated that night something that they were very embarrassed about.

Edit to say it was a Paris 75 top bought from a lad off of Waccoe.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Paris 75 was my first year after leaving school and I was doing my training as an apprentice Electrician. First year back then you had no holiday entitlement but fortunately the company I worked for put you on a 48 week college course first year.

So I basically jigged off college for a week in May to jump on the local coach and get to Paris for the Final.
First holiday abroad with mates was a fantastic adventure, loved every minute except the result.

Remember having to go into Belgium on the way home as there was a French Ferry strike which caused havoc with thousands of angry Leeds fans stuck in Northern France with nowhere to go.

Got back home prepared to face the music at work but for some reason they never found out and got away with it :D

Is it really 45 years ago, I'm a old git :crazy:
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

SW, first year apprentice electrician - did you still have your eyebrows? :lol:
I once played against Don Revie.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

johnh wrote:SW, first year apprentice electrician - did you still have your eyebrows? :lol:
Look at it this way John it's a job where you never needed a Perm and they were very fashionable back then ;)
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

I was nearly 5 when it happened so a little before my time but just had a read of an article in the Yorkshire Evening Post today about the game, like 1973 a corrupt offical cost us the game and another trophy.

linky thing

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/f ... ns-2866780
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.