Nostalgia

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Re: Nostalgia

Post by johnh »

NottinghamWhite wrote:1967-68 Leeds United v Glasgow Rangers ( dubbed by the press as The Battle of Britain ) sadly the game will be always remembered for the violence that night than the actual game. Rangers were given 3000 tickets for the game but an estimated 10000 rammed into Lowfields Road. Both teams wore black arm bands as Leeds chairman Albert Morris had passed away. Empty whisky bottles were constantly getting thrown into the Gelderd End & onto the pitch. Fighting broke out in the Lowfields but worse was to come outside as fighting now between both sets of fans, hotdog stands & cars were overturned. In all my time I’ve never seen trouble like it, as a young lad I think it’s fair to say I was petrified. Leeds did win the match by the way 2-0 goals from Giles & Pete Lorimer.

John Grieg asking the Rangers fans to behave.

I remember going into Leeds on that day. There were hundreds of Rangers supporters, all in large groups, all over the place. Kept well out of their way!
I once played against Don Revie.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

My first ever visit to the city I now call home. Note the wild celebrations from the Leeds fans :D

https://twitter.com/lufchistory/status/ ... 030080?s=2
Winner of the Europa League
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

NottinghamWhite wrote:Leeds United 10 Lyn Oslo 0

This was our first game in the European Cup & what a start against the Norwegian champions. On the previous weekend I had a trip to Hillsborough to see us get a 2-1 victory to put us in good stead for this game. Allan Clarke a signing in the summer was starting to show the form we were all hoping for. Goals from O’Grady ( not a regular starter & was on the transfer list ) a hat trick for Mick Jones & braces for Clarke, Bremner & Giles were too much for the opposition that night. Paul Wilcox in The Guardian wrote “ Leeds United's vast experience of European competition was not needed last night. They could have played their youth team & still have won convincingly “
Jan Myrhe Lyn’s manager added that “ our crowd particularly wants to see Allan Clarke & Jack Charlton of all the Leeds stars “ Don said “ rest assured if they are fit they will definitely play “
I went to this game with a friend Trevor who at half time as they paraded the board with the winning programme number found he had won the prize of £10 a weeks wages back then. I’ve never seen anyone cling onto something so much in my life :D

Imagefree pic hosting
https://twitter.com/lufchistory/status/ ... 08032?s=21
Saxon
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by Saxon »

Tommy Henderson stood 5ft 4inches stood on his tip toes stretching, holding his breath.
He was a buddy and played in the same international Scottish schoolboy team as Billy Bremmner and was signed at the same time after a game against England at Wembley
I actually saw him play a couple of times for Hellenics of Cape Town, 1972, in the South African league. I had seen him play at Leeds, maybe in the reserve team years earlier, but immediately recognized that run of his, short strides but the fastest moving pair of legs I ever saw.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

I only just remember Henderson as a Leeds player but weren’t we blessed with some excellent Scots at the club in that era.

David Harvey
David Stewart
Billy Bremner
Bobby Collins
Joe Jordan
Gordon McQueen
Eddie Gray
Frank Gray
Peter Lorimer
Willie Bell
Jim Storrie
George Meek
Arthur Graham

Sadly Scotland doesn’t produce such great players these days.

ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Good point about Scottish football when was the last superstar of Scottish football, Kenny Dagleish ?
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

Sir Gordon Strachan, surely ;)
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
marziale
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by marziale »

NottinghamWhite’s mention of (Michael I think) O’Grady brought to mind memories of him as a schoolboy player. He played on the wing at national and Leeds level but I remember him turning out there for Corpus Christi School in the mid 50s. A bunch of snotty-nosed kids cheering him on already. A Leeds hero from the Irish diaspora located in those days mostly south of the York Road and, if memory serves, the East End Park district in Leeds. A nice guy who seemed to fade quickish from the scene, maybe...But happy days - thanks for the memories.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

marziale wrote:NottinghamWhite’s mention of (Michael I think) O’Grady brought to mind memories of him as a schoolboy player. He played on the wing at national and Leeds level but I remember him turning out there for Corpus Christi School in the mid 50s. A bunch of snotty-nosed kids cheering him on already. A Leeds hero from the Irish diaspora located in those days mostly south of the York Road and, if memory serves, the East End Park district in Leeds. A nice guy who seemed to fade quickish from the scene, maybe...But happy days - thanks for the memories.
Played only two games for England but scored 3 goals. Can't be many who averaged more than a goal a game for England. He used to have a second-hand shop on the road that goes from York Road (at the side of the Shaftsbury Cinema) and eventually comes out by the Fforde Green.
I once played against Don Revie.
marziale
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by marziale »

That’s where my family all lived. In the Rookwoods to the south of York road and near the Shaftesbury Cinema (sat mornings!) and the pub for the grown-ups, think it was the Nowells, Back Nowell RoadS etc.