Nostalgia

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Leicester White
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Re: Nostalgia

Post by Leicester White »

Agreed and Lucas Radebe, Nigel Martyn, Olivier Dacourt, etc, etc, but then again I thought Leeds was an integral part of England's big 6 clubs! :-)
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Things you don’t see/hear anymore at games..

Rattles
Rosettes
Skinheads
17,000 stood in The Gelderd
Players pantomime
We are the Left side chant
Celtic/Rangers chant
Silk scarves
Silk scarves on the wrist
Winner of the Europa League
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Things you don’t see/hear anymore at games..

Rattles
Funny enough the cockney bloke who lives opposite (not bad lot for West Ham Fans) comes out with a Rattle for the Key worker clap on Thursday nights.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

48 years ago today was without doubt the best day ever supporting Leeds United. Today we won the holy grail of English football the FA Cup, it saddens me the way today it is so undervalued. Arriving in the stadium around 12:00 to soak up the atmosphere which was already buzzing we were so happy to be there. At the other end of the ground the Arsenal fans were doing the same. The chant of UNITED UNITED went up & as the players inspected the pitch they gave a wave to the assembled Leeds fans. The game is now part of the clubs folk lore, Allan Clarke will always be remembered for scoring the winning goal. Mick Jones with his arm in a sling bravely walking up the steps to receive his medal. At the end a long journey back to North Yorkshire but the coach was so noisy with people singing. What a day, what a game & I was there to see it all after years of watching the final on the television. Up there with the birth of my children this was such a special day, one I’ll never forget.

https://twitter.com/lufchistory/status/ ... 57440?s=21
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

NottinghamWhite wrote:48 years ago today was without doubt the best day ever supporting Leeds United. Today we won the holy grail of English football the FA Cup, it saddens me the way today it is so undervalued. Arriving in the stadium around 12:00 to soak up the atmosphere which was already buzzing we were so happy to be there. At the other end of the ground the Arsenal fans were doing the same. The chant of UNITED UNITED went up & as the players inspected the pitch they gave a wave to the assembled Leeds fans. The game is now part of the clubs folk lore, Allan Clarke will always be remembered for scoring the winning goal. Mick Jones with his arm in a sling bravely walking up the steps to receive his medal. At the end a long journey back to North Yorkshire but the coach was so noisy with people singing. What a day, what a game & I was there to see it all after years of watching the final on the television. Up there with the birth of my children this was such a special day, one I’ll never forget.
Great to hear NW. I must admit to being a little ignorant of that era in Leeds history, (i wasn't there and never could be so why should i care :cry: ) its one thing to acknowledge it, but i have been scouring through the old documentaries and watched the best one last night so far. THE DON REVIE STORY (I KNOW I KNOW). Do you know what, after watching it i felt like a born again Leeds fan :shifty: some lovely old footage including that FA cup win (lets not mention the goal :lolno: ) and those too magical goals by Eddie against Burnley, and did Peter Lorimer ever score a tap-in.
Alan Clarke summed it up for me when he said teams like this only come around once in a lifetime. With the way football has sadly gone with the money effectively stifling the game he's never been more right. A team made up of quality players from the UK. I say to any younger Leeds fans out there watch it and appreciate the best Leeds team we will ever see don't deny yourself like i did. :thumbup:

I have also caught up on the short snippets from the official Leeds site with some commentary from ANS on there :thumbup: . I now get the comparisons made between Bobby Collins and Gordon Strachan with Eddie Gray saying Collins is the most important player ever to walk through the Elland Rd doors, especially after he chinned him. :D

John Charles what can i say. Put him at CB and we stopped conceding but couldn't score, put him upfront and we get the goals but can't keep the ball out of the net at the back. I need to do more research on him has they genuinely been a better player to pull on the Leeds Shirt? Thank the lord for Big Jack so he could finally settle on playing up front. The fire was a new revelation and i guess it was a sign of the times that Leeds had to sell Charles to help finance the rebuild.

And then finally for the great man (The Godfather) Don. A very good player in his day. I loved the footage of the England game with Stanley Matthews running Scotland ragged and Don getting his goal. For Leeds everything was channeled through him, he did everything for the players. The energy he put into the club as got to be unparalleled in the game, he must have been knackered spiritually. I'm not sure about the superstitions but it obviously worked. :) Lovely to hear Kevin Keegan waxing lyrical about Revie, going as far to say that it was the England players who weren't good enough for England not Don Revie. Honest thing to say.

For those of my generation and younger i say get aboard the Leeds United Time Travel Machine. You won't regret it. Is that too cheesy? Are feck it. :D
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

I always said that the two most important people to walk into Elland Road were Don Revie and Bobby Collins. Glad the latter is mentioned in that context in the official Leeds site. It's always interesting reading the views of someone who sees it as 'history' when you have been lucky enough to live through it. Good post VHTM.
I once played against Don Revie.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Indeed VHTM the Don’s reign at Elland Road was indeed a golden era sadly I doubt never to be repeated. You ask any Leeds fan of a certain age to name the team & they’ll recite Sprake, Reaney, Cooper, Bremner, Charlton, Hunter, Lorimer, Clarke, Jones, Giles & Gray sub Madeley yet this team only played together the once against Mansfield Town in the FA Cup in 1970. I’m lucky that I saw so many wonderful performances & goals like Eddie’s against Burnley. The players like Yorath, Bellfitt, Bates & Harvey ( all would have featured in any other Division 1 sides ) wanted to be part of this team. Don used to frequent a restaurant I worked at as a waiter & was a lovely gentleman. His dossiers on the opposition were years ahead of there time. If memory serves me correctly we were the first team to stay overnight in a hotel prior to a game. Carpet bowls & games of bingo were part of his team building exercises. Like every other fan at the time I was gutted when he took the England job & equally gutted when Clough took over. The one manager I’d have loved to stay was Jock Stein but he only lasted 44 days the same as Clough.
Deleted User 3289

johnh wrote:I always said that the two most important people to walk into Elland Road were Don Revie and Bobby Collins. Glad the latter is mentioned in that context in the official Leeds site. It's always interesting reading the views of someone who sees it as 'history' when you have been lucky enough to live through it. Good post VHTM.
You just get a feeling of authenticity about life from that ere John. Non of the over hyped glitz n glamour football of today. Johnny Giles cited Bobby Collins as the main reason he joined Leeds at that time. He looked up to him. You have to say the Scots had some good players back then.
Deleted User 3289

NottinghamWhite wrote:Indeed VHTM the Don’s reign at Elland Road was indeed a golden era sadly I doubt never to be repeated. You ask any Leeds fan of a certain age to name the team & they’ll recite Sprake, Reaney, Cooper, Bremner, Charlton, Hunter, Lorimer, Clarke, Jones, Giles & Gray sub Madeley yet this team only played together the once against Mansfield Town in the FA Cup in 1970. I’m lucky that I saw so many wonderful performances & goals like Eddie’s against Burnley. The players like Yorath, Bellfitt, Bates & Harvey ( all would have featured in any other Division 1 sides ) wanted to be part of this team. Don used to frequent a restaurant I worked at as a waiter & was a lovely gentleman. His dossiers on the opposition were years ahead of there time. If memory serves me correctly we were the first team to stay overnight in a hotel prior to a game. Carpet bowls & games of bingo were part of his team building exercises. Like every other fan at the time I was gutted when he took the England job & equally gutted when Clough took over. The one manager I’d have loved to stay was Jock Stein but he only lasted 44 days the same as Clough.
I always think its a testament to a great side when fans from other teams can name a side from that era. Most people of that time can name most of that side NW. The names above will always reverberate around the football family at large.

We like doing things in centenary style. 1972 was the FA cup Centenary year. Lets hope we get to finish the job in our centenary season. :thumbup: