Nostalgia

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Re: Nostalgia

Post by NottinghamWhite »

4th March 1972
Leeds United 7 Southampton 0

Two weeks earlier we had destroyed Scum in a truly epic game but little did we know the best was still to come. In the first couple of minutes Mick Channon had a shot saved by Gary Sprake but the rest of the game we were totally dominant absolutely superb what team what a performance, I was there to witness it. Despite this master class in football that Billy & the lads put on, the press were still critical of us for what they decided was “ show boating “ & being unsportsmanlike in victory. At one point Leeds put 39 passes together to a chorus of “ Ole, Ole “ against a devastated Saints team. “ It’s almost cruel “ winced Barry Davies in commentary. What a glorious day & probably this victory showed we weren’t just Dirty Leeds but a magnificent team.

Winner of the Europa League
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Was a few other cracking matches around that time didn't we beat a very good Arsenal side 3-0 later that month, destroyed them in first half but took foot off the gas in the 2nd.
No easing up against Forest 6-1 if I recall.

In between we beat Spurs 2-1 in the cup which seems ordinary but would have been in double figures but for their goalie, a certain Pat Jennings if memory is correct.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Selby White wrote:Was a few other cracking matches around that time didn't we beat a very good Arsenal side 3-0 later that month, destroyed them in first half but took foot off the gas in the 2nd.
I’m sure I’ve read somewhere that Don was mates with the Saints boss & told the players seven goals was enough of a humiliation, hence that wonderful passing “ Ole,Ole” :D
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

The Bristol Rovers game had everything was an unbelievable atmosphere. Love this clip.

johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Not sure that this qualifies for this thread but I just remembered what I had for breakfast.
I once played against Don Revie.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Deleted User 5081

Post by Deleted User 5081 »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Image
This picture brings back many Saturday afternoon spent watching the Ceefax telecast week in week out. If i remember right it was quicker than even some modern websites are today when it comes to updates albeit i had to insert page 303 a lot to refresh the page.
Leicester White
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by Leicester White »

My whole family went to this one, which meant three of us had to stand with Blades fans, but felt like I was in the lucky half as we were stood directly in line with Mel Sterland's thunderbolt! Happy days at 20 in my prime and The Stone Roses breaking :-) https://youtu.be/_n5y6VvMNZ0
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

NottinghamWhite wrote:4th March 1972
Leeds United 7 Southampton 0

Two weeks earlier we had destroyed Scum in a truly epic game but little did we know the best was still to come. In the first couple of minutes Mick Channon had a shot saved by Gary Sprake but the rest of the game we were totally dominant absolutely superb what team what a performance, I was there to witness it. Despite this master class in football that Billy & the lads put on, the press were still critical of us for what they decided was “ show boating “ & being unsportsmanlike in victory. At one point Leeds put 39 passes together to a chorus of “ Ole, Ole “ against a devastated Saints team. “ It’s almost cruel “ winced Barry Davies in commentary. What a glorious day & probably this victory showed we weren’t just Dirty Leeds but a magnificent team.

Just watched the slightly longer highlights of this game. Lorimer had a blinding game with the 3 goals. I noticed a faint chant during the game of You'll never walk alone? I'm presuming it was the Leeds fans. I never realised Leeds used to chant YNWA. Thank goodness for MOT!
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:
Just watched the slightly longer highlights of this game. Lorimer had a blinding game with the 3 goals. I noticed a faint chant during the game of You'll never walk alone? I'm presuming it was the Leeds fans. I never realised Leeds used to chant YNWA. Thank goodness for MOT!
Sang YNWA many times back in the day nothing better than the Gelderd with scarves & banners raised. It was a popular chant at many grounds. ( a little like We Are The Champions Of Europe is these days ) We probably started the chant after that incredible night at Anfield in 1969.