Page 18 of 19

Re: Nostalgia

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2020, 11:30
by NottinghamWhite
1971-72 Wolves at Leeds Road. After crowd trouble the previous season in the game at home to West Brom we had to start the season playing on neutral ground & this was the first “ home “ game of the season. We had a lift to Malton with my mates dad & we traveled to Leeds by train & then on to Huddersfield in a packed train full of Leeds fans. As we came out of the station there was loads of West Yorkshire’s finest waiting for us. As we walked to the ground the police kept us in check if anyone stepped onto the road then a baton was used to give the person a hard whack.
The game itself was a boring 0-0 draw & on the way back to the station there was a group of Wolves skinheads ( first time I’d seen any ) came piling into the Leeds fans & all hell broke loose. You guessed there wasn’t a policeman to be seen & the skirmishes kept on. Once we arrived back to the station we were herded onto a train which I assume they put on especially for us. The train was wrecked on the short journey back to Leeds, yours truly wasn’t involved.
I did 2 other “home” games but missed out on the game at Boothferry Park as from memory it was midweek & I was working.

Re: Nostalgia

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2020, 11:32
by NottinghamWhite
SCOTTISH LEEDS wrote:
Well as being a Glaswegian i can tell you that the photo is not of Hampden Park its actually Parkhead and it actually tells you on the building.


My mistake that’s what Google gave me.

Re: Nostalgia

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2020, 11:40
by Selby White
NottinghamWhite wrote:1971-72 Wolves at Leeds Road. After crowd trouble the previous season in the game at home to West Brom we had to start the season playing on neutral ground & this was the first “ home “ game of the season. We had a lift to Malton with my mates dad & we traveled to Leeds by train & then on to Huddersfield in a packed train full of Leeds fans. As we came out of the station there was loads of West Yorkshire’s finest waiting for us. As we walked to the ground the police kept us in check if anyone stepped onto the road then a baton was used to give the person a hard whack.
The game itself was a boring 0-0 draw & on the way back to the station there was a group of Wolves skinheads ( first time I’d seen any ) came piling into the Leeds fans & all hell broke loose. You guessed there wasn’t a policeman to be seen & the skirmishes kept on. Once we arrived back to the station we were herded onto a train which I assume they put on especially for us. The train was wrecked on the short journey back to Leeds, yours truly wasn’t involved.
I did 2 other “home” games but missed out on the game at Boothferry Park as from memory it was midweek & I was working.


Missed the Wolves match but was at Booth ferry Park for the draw with Spurs (1-1).
Also at Hillsborough to see us smash Newcastle (5-0 or 5-1).
Didn't get to the other one which I believe like the Wolves game was at Leeds Road. Can't recall who it was against so will look it up.

Was only a snapper so the ones I got to would have been dependant of my dad's shifts.

Re: Nostalgia

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2020, 11:47
by NottinghamWhite
Selby White wrote:
Missed the Wolves match but was at Booth ferry Park for the draw with Spurs (1-1).
Also at Hillsborough to see us smash Newcastle (5-0 or 5-1).
Didn't get to the other one which I believe like the Wolves game was at Leeds Road. Can't recall who it was against so will look it up.

Was only a snapper so the ones I got to would have been dependant of my dad's shifts.


The other game at Leeds Road was against Crystal Palace. We won 2-0.

Re: Nostalgia

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2020, 12:30
by SCOTTISH LEEDS
NottinghamWhite wrote:
SCOTTISH LEEDS wrote:
Well as being a Glaswegian i can tell you that the photo is not of Hampden Park its actually Parkhead and it actually tells you on the building.


My mistake that’s what Google gave me.


No worries NW google isnt right very often in my book.

Re: Nostalgia

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2020, 16:18
by Saxon
NottinghamWhite wrote:I only just remember Henderson as a Leeds player but weren’t we blessed with some excellent Scots at the club in that era.

David Harvey
David Stewart
Billy Bremner
Bobby Collins
Joe Jordan
Gordon McQueen
Eddie Gray
Frank Gray
Peter Lorimer
Willie Bell
Jim Storrie
George Meek
Arthur Graham


Sadly Scotland doesn’t produce such great players these days.

Image


Another not so well known Scottish player on the books at that time, Jimmy Lumsden.
Played for the same Glasgow junior team as his friend Eddie Gray, and was signed around the same time as Eddie.
His Leeds career was 1964 to 1970, captain of the reserve team for much of that time, only 4 first team appearances.
His position was right half, does not mean much these days, from my memory of him I would say defensive midfield.
With the quality of the squad of young players around him it's no surprise he didn't make a brake through into the first team squad, but you cannot fault his dedication and work ethic. At his age, another year with another club he might have made it, some times it's the way the coin toss lands.
He later came back to Leeds to be Eddie Gray's assistant in the late 1980's, and was terminated when Eddie stepped down.
His talents as a coach were not overlooked though. He hooked up with David Moyes assistant at Preston, and followed him to Everton and Man United

Re: Nostalgia

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2020, 16:32
by NottinghamWhite
I remember Jimmy didn’t play a lot for the first team he played a lot in Scotland after leaving Leeds, Morton if my memory serves me correctly. He was another squad player who was happy to be at the club who hardly played like Mick Bates. Another player from that era was Terry Hibbitt who went on to play for Newcastle & Birmingham City who sadly passed away at the age of 46.

Re: Nostalgia

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2020, 09:34
by NottinghamWhite
Leaving Pickering travelling to Malton via bus to railway station & onto Leeds. Lunch at British Home Store ( I know don’t know why we ate there) walked to the ground buy a rosette for the opposition & entrance to the Gelderd. All this for less than £2. :D

Re: Nostalgia

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2020, 16:03
by Selby White
NottinghamWhite wrote:Leaving Pickering travelling to Malton via bus to railway station & onto Leeds. Lunch at British Home Store ( I know don’t know why we ate there) walked to the ground buy a rosette for the opposition & entrance to the Gelderd. All this for less than £2. :D


Rosette that is something you don't see nowadays.

While on the subject anyone ever have a rattle ?

Re: Nostalgia

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2020, 20:37
by kk_white
Selby White wrote:
NottinghamWhite wrote:Leaving Pickering travelling to Malton via bus to railway station & onto Leeds. Lunch at British Home Store ( I know don’t know why we ate there) walked to the ground buy a rosette for the opposition & entrance to the Gelderd. All this for less than £2. :D


Rosette that is something you don't see nowadays.

While on the subject anyone ever have a rattle ?

Used to have one that my Dad made, in my local Kilkenny colours (black and amber). Huge monster it was, made a ridiculous racket.
After he died, my mother cleared out a lot of his stuff, gave it away. When I asked about it, she said "Oh, I didn't think you'd want that old thing". :thumbdown: