Vote for Don

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Re: Vote for Don

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Ferguson spent so much money on Scum he had to succeed. Whereas Don took an unfashionable side from a rugby league city & turned them into one of the best club sides this country has seen imho.
Winner of the Europa League
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Are we the only club with 4 managers on the list :D
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Leicester White
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by Leicester White »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Ferguson spent so much money on Scum he had to succeed. Whereas Don took an unfashionable side from a rugby league city & turned them into one of the best club sides this country has seen imho.
Appreciate I'm biased but that's the way I view it. Also with Clough, how much of his success was down to Taylor... obvious question marks over his man management in his 44 days too! The Don took a team from the bottom half of the 2nd division to top of the top too. Wonder how long before Bielsa tops polls like this!
Leicester White
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by Leicester White »

Paul ITFC wrote:I just voted for Sir Bobby Robson after debating with myself whether to vote for Sir Alf Ramsey.

Don would have been next on my list though.

Sorry.
Sir Bobby's my 2nd choice... brilliant football at Ipswich, England and Newcastle and he was our 1st choice 1st approach in the late 80s... when he declined, he recommended Howard Wilkinson - we owe Bobby Robson big time. 1-0 to the good guys v Arsenal in the cup final :-)
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Done
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Ferguson spent so much money on Scum he had to succeed. Whereas Don took an unfashionable side from a rugby league city & turned them into one of the best club sides this country has seen imho.
As much as I hate the scum I do think Ferguson was an exceptional manager.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
The Thrones Murders
ilkley62
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by ilkley62 »

Davycc wrote:
As much as I hate the scum I do think Ferguson was an exceptional manager.
Agreed & you have to remember what he did at Aberdeen as well
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

After the Don. I would go for:

1) Paisley
2) Clough
3) Robson

I'm with Benitez about Fergie and the facts. He was in control of the league like the mafia, intimidating refs and the like with fergie time. Not a patch on Wenger imo.
Paul ITFC
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by Paul ITFC »

Leicester White wrote:
Paul ITFC wrote:I just voted for Sir Bobby Robson after debating with myself whether to vote for Sir Alf Ramsey.

Sorry.
Sir Bobby's my 2nd choice... brilliant football at Ipswich, England and Newcastle and he was our 1st choice 1st approach in the late 80s... when he declined, he recommended Howard Wilkinson - we owe Bobby Robson big time. 1-0 to the good guys v Arsenal in the cup final :-)
I have in front of me at the moment 'Time On The Grass' which is a Bobby Robson autobiography from 1982 and in it he says that Don Revie contacted him personally in 1974 saying that he had recommended him to Manny Cussins as his (Don's) replacement at Elland Road and Bobby Robson did interview and was offered the job but decided to stay at Portman Road.
Sir Bobby turned down several job offers whilst at Ipswich.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Paul ITFC wrote:
Leicester White wrote:

Sorry.
I have in front of me at the moment 'Time On The Grass' which is a Bobby Robson autobiography from 1982 and in it he says that Don Revie contacted him personally in 1974 saying that he had recommended him to Manny Cussins as his (Don's) replacement at Elland Road and Bobby Robson did interview and was offered the job but decided to stay at Portman Road.
Sir Bobby turned down several job offers whilst at Ipswich.
Would have been a way better option in hindsight than Clough.

PS keep posting Paul, we love decdent input form other supporters.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
The Thrones Murders