Vote for Don

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Paul ITFC
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Re: Vote for Don

Post by Paul ITFC »

Davycc wrote:
Would have been a way better option in hindsight than Clough.

PS keep posting Paul, we love decdent input form other supporters.

I will look in from time to time but I only really joined your site to pay my respects to Norman Hunter RIP
Leicester White
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by Leicester White »

Paul ITFC wrote:
Leicester White wrote:
Paul ITFC wrote:I just voted for Sir Bobby Robson after debating with myself whether to vote for Sir Alf Ramsey.

Don would have been next on my list though.

Sorry.
Sir Bobby's my 2nd choice... brilliant football at Ipswich, England and Newcastle and he was our 1st choice 1st approach in the late 80s... when he declined, he recommended Howard Wilkinson - we owe Bobby Robson big time. 1-0 to the good guys v Arsenal in the cup final :-)
Quite a revelation... always thought Revie favoured Giles.
I have in front of me at the moment 'Time On The Grass' which is a Bobby Robson autobiography from 1982 and in it he says that Don Revie contacted him personally in 1974 saying that he had recommended him to Manny Cussins as his (Don's) replacement at Elland Road and Bobby Robson did interview and was offered the job but decided to stay at Portman Road.
Sir Bobby turned down several job offers whilst at Ipswich.
Paul ITFC

Post by Paul ITFC »

Leicester White wrote: Quite a revelation... always thought Revie favoured Giles.
I have in front of me at the moment 'Time On The Grass' which is a Bobby Robson autobiography from 1982 and in it he says that Don Revie contacted him personally in 1974 saying that he had recommended him to Manny Cussins as his (Don's) replacement at Elland Road and Bobby Robson did interview and was offered the job but decided to stay at Portman Road.

Yes but it must be authentic because it is in Bobby Robson's own book rather than being something that was second or third hand.
We (Ipswich) had finished 4th in both 1972/73 and 1973/74 so Bobby had by then created the first of the three very good ITFC teams that he was to create.I know that he was very happy with the way he got treated by the Directors at Ipswich and that is why he turned down a number of jobs during his time at Portman Road.
If he had taken over from Don Revie then both your history and ours could have been quite different over the next few seasons.
Leicester White

Absolutely. There's no way Bobby Robson would write that if it hadn't happen and nobody disputed it. Spot on with what would have happened to Leeds... you only have to look at his record with European giants - PSV, Porto and Barcelona. Incredible win percentages... wY higher than Fergie and Revie.
Paul ITFC

Post by Paul ITFC »

Leicester White wrote:Absolutely. There's no way Bobby Robson would write that if it hadn't happen and nobody disputed it. Spot on with what would have happened to Leeds... you only have to look at his record with European giants - PSV, Porto and Barcelona. Incredible win percentages... wY higher than Fergie and Revie.

You missed Ipswich Town from your list of European giants.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

What an interesting thought of Bobby Robson replacing The Don indeed would have been something I’d like to have seen.
Winner of the Europa League
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Paul ITFC wrote:
Leicester White wrote: Quite a revelation... always thought Revie favoured Giles.

Yes but it must be authentic because it is in Bobby Robson's own book rather than being something that was second or third hand.
We (Ipswich) had finished 4th in both 1972/73 and 1973/74 so Bobby had by then created the first of the three very good ITFC teams that he was to create.I know that he was very happy with the way he got treated by the Directors at Ipswich and that is why he turned down a number of jobs during his time at Portman Road.
If he had taken over from Don Revie then both your history and ours could have been quite different over the next few seasons.
There's no doubt DR respected Bobby R and that Bobby was interviewed for his job (I don't remember that TBH) but not only did Don suggest John Giles as his replacement, JG was given the job but then the board changed their mind. Bad memories these! :D
Leicester White

Paul ITFC wrote:
Leicester White wrote:Absolutely. There's no way Bobby Robson would write that if it hadn't happen and nobody disputed it. Spot on with what would have happened to Leeds... you only have to look at his record with European giants - PSV, Porto and Barcelona. Incredible win percentages... wY higher than Fergie and Revie.

You missed Ipswich Town from your list of European giants.
Oh no! You'd better get in touch with the BBC, they've some how missed Town from the top 40 https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52348050! ;-) That was some team that won the UEFA Cup:
GK
Paul Cooper
DF
Steve McCall
DF
Mick Mills (c)
MF
Frans Thijssen
DF
Russell Osman
DF
Terry Butcher
MF
John Wark
MF
Arnold Mühren
FW
Paul Mariner
FW
Alan Brazil
FW
Eric Gates
As a kid, I caddied for my Dad every Saturday morning at Chelmsford Golf Club and he regularly played with an Ipswich legend and massive fan - Fred Jones - striker and he played for Wales, but the war interrupted that... I think he went on to be Ipswich's physio... good golfer too (was playing off an 8-handicap in his 70s and I saw him hole a 5-wood for an albatross when he was about 80!)… loved Freddie Jones :-) He didn't think much of John Wark as a person, but boy could he strike a football well. https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2009/ ... swich-town
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

I can't remember if it was a docu about overseas players in general or just about the 2 nordic lads that came over to Ipswich. They may well have been 2 of the earliest overseas players to grace our league but they made a big impact down there.

Edit: That's me speaking double Dutch again. :D
Leicester White

Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:I can't remember if it was a docu about overseas players in general or just about the 2 nordic lads that came over to Ipswich. They may well have been 2 of the earliest overseas players to grace our league but they made a big impact down there.

Edit: That's me speaking double Dutch again. :D
Yes '78 world cup started that trend in a big way... Ardiles & Villa to Spurs too that summer (only Ardiles played in the final, but the tournament put Dutch and Argentinian football front of mind). I think Ipswich got the better pair of players and actually Holland was the best team in that world cup - the one off final match didn't reflect that. I remember the Dutch team being kept waiting on the pitch on their own before kick off... all sorts of mind games, home advantage and dirty tactics won the day and cost Holland in the final again. I was gutted as a Johan Neeskens fan
https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... ry.sport15