Trevor Cherry

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Re: Trevor Cherry

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Scarf out of the window again last night. Am still devastated at this news.

Winner of the Europa League
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Dear me. I have been up to my eyes over the past few days with heaps more to do workwise so haven't been on much. Haven't even really been watching TV as am getting bored with it all so this is the first I've heard this. Terrible I always thought TC deserved more praise than he actually got. RIP Trevor.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

As with Norman Hunter, one of our lads has been down to ER with a floral tribute, along with a small written piece and picture, along with our names. I welled up a bit when he sent me a picture :(
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

Born in the mid 70's i must admit a name that sadly passed me by if i'm honest. I had heard the name but wasn't really that familiar with his contribution. Having looked him up since, he was Yorkshire thru and thru never played out of the county. Having watched a few old game highlights recently after the passing of Norman, another name who i wasn't familiar with was Mick Jones and what a important piece of the jigsaw he was to the team in the classic games i watched. A real warrior.

Its great to hear from you guys who witnessed these players in action and how good they were. One thing i'm learning is all this dirty Leeds Bo**ox is a deflection from the real talent of the team in that era. I've only watched a few games and it seemed that tough tackling was part of the game for all sides of that era.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Viduka Hits The Mark wrote: Its great to hear from you guys who witnessed these players in action and how good they were. One thing i'm learning is all this dirty Leeds Bo**ox is a deflection from the real talent of the team in that era. I've only watched a few games and it seemed that tough tackling was part of the game for all sides of that era.
Your right Vid the Dirty Leeds tag is daft, every team could stand their corner, I believe its a name built purely on jealousy.

As for Trevor Cherry he was a top performer and signed as part of Dons long term rebuilding plans along with the likes of McQueen, Jordan, etc.
However Don got the England job so it was down to others to do that job.
Clough tried to do it too quickly in my opinion and that was his downfall along with his hatred of Leeds & Don.
Jimmy Armfield come in and took us to Paris however with our ban from Europe it became impossible to attract the top players and we started to lose a few. In fact another TC (Tony Currie) was the only real quality player we signed in my opinion while banned from Europe.
On route to Paris we famously beat Barcelona over two legs and Trevor Cherry will be remembered for man marking arguably the world best player Johan Cryuff and doing a proper job.

Trevor Cherry played for England twenty something times and it was a good England team during that period arguably in the top six in the World (Keegan & company). Yes some will say we didn't qualify for the 78 WC but that was in part due to the draw pairing us with Italy with only one going to Argentina. They beat us in Rome we beat them at Wembley (with Trevor Cherry in the team) and it came down to who scored most against Finland & Luxemburg.
Trevor Cherry was a class player.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Selby White wrote:
Viduka Hits The Mark wrote: Its great to hear from you guys who witnessed these players in action and how good they were. One thing i'm learning is all this dirty Leeds Bo**ox is a deflection from the real talent of the team in that era. I've only watched a few games and it seemed that tough tackling was part of the game for all sides of that era.
Your right Vid the Dirty Leeds tag is daft, every team could stand their corner, I believe its a name built purely on jealousy.

As for Trevor Cherry he was a top performer and signed as part of Dons long term rebuilding plans along with the likes of McQueen, Jordan, etc.
Clough tried to do it too quickly in my opinion and that was his downfall along with his hatred of Leeds & Don.
Jimmy Armfield come in and took us to Paris however with our ban from Europe it became impossible to attract the top players and we started to lose a few. In fact another TC (Tony Currie) was the only real quality player we signed in my opinion while banned from Europe.
On route to Paris we famously beat Barcelona over two legs and Trevor Cherry will be remembered for man marking arguably the world best player Johan Cryuff and doing a proper job.

Trevor Cherry played for England twenty something times and it was a good England team during that period arguably in the top six in the World (Keegan & company). Yes some will say we didn't qualify for the 78 WC but that was in part due to the draw pairing us with Italy with only one going to Argentina. They beat us in Rome we beat them at Wembley (with Trevor Cherry in the team) and it came down to who scored most against Finland & Luxemburg.
Just a quick point re Euro ban and attracting players, SW - Euro football wasn't about the money in those days and certainly wasn't as lucrative, we could attract the players still, we paid record fees for a couple of players but the board of directors backed the managers less and less as time went on.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Another Northern Soul wrote:
Selby White wrote:

Just a quick point re Euro ban and attracting players, SW - Euro football wasn't about the money in those days and certainly wasn't as lucrative, we could attract the players still, we paid record fees for a couple of players but the board of directors backed the managers less and less as time went on.
Agree about the money but I was thinking more about players ambitions to play in Europe.
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

Selby White wrote:Image
Proof that Cruyff was a time-traveller. Here he is doing the Ayling flop 20 years before Luke was born.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Just read the obituary of Trevor Cherry in The Telegraph today. It included one issue that I had forgotten about. He was manager of Bradford City when they had the tragic fire. In the months following the fire, he spent most of his time visiting the injured in hospital and attending funerals. He was also a legend at Bradford City.
I once played against Don Revie.