The Championship, your thoughts on the Covid situation

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

The Championship, your thoughts on the Covid situation

Post by Another Northern Soul »

The way I see it, there are two strong possibilities for the outcome of this season...

- all matches will be completed but they will take place Behind Closed Doors.

- the matches will not be completed but instead, PPG (Points Per Game) will decide the division's standings.

For we fans and supporters, officially we will not be attending any Leeds matches.

I haven't put the possibility of Null & Voiding the season as I think it's a ludicrous suggestion and one that I honestly don't want to consider :crazy: :thumbup:
Leicester White
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Re: The Championship, your thoughts on the Covid situation

Post by Leicester White »

Either of those options would be fantastic. Handed the championship or having it in our own hands. If the latter, win or draw vs Fulham and we should go on to automatic promotion, but it is Leeds so expect us to find a way to keep us on the edge of our seats until the last minute of the season! :-)
psquithy
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by psquithy »

I have not seen what they plan to do if players test positive.

Will those games be postponed?

Will teams just have to put out a weakened squad?
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Leicester White wrote:Either of those options would be fantastic. Handed the championship or having it in our own hands. If the latter, win or draw vs Fulham and we should go on to automatic promotion, but it is Leeds so expect us to find a way to keep us on the edge of our seats until the last minute of the season! :-)
'Ideally' - there is no ideal in this state of affairs :) - I would like us to play the season out as I would be extremely confident of finishing at the top, for various reasons, one being that we're there now and have gained an air of resilience at just the right stage.

There are fans who say we would be stupid as a club to vote to play BCD and not vote for PPG finish. I see their point but I'd prefer to see us play and to win promotion, but of course we can't guarantee that promotion!
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

psquithy wrote:I have not seen what they plan to do if players test positive.

Will those games be postponed?

Will teams just have to put out a weakened squad?
I can't see any match being postponed as, just like any other illness (of course Covid is much more serious) if a club loses two or three players' availability then it's play on as normal. If a squad is decimated by illness though, then they can request postponement.

I believe two unnamed Fulham players have been declared as having symptoms, as well as Blackburn's captain. I think that could mean a total of 7 in this division, out of over a thousand tests. (Excuse me if I'm wrong with those figures).
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Although I'd take it I really don't want to be awarded the title without playing, just doesn't sit right with me never mind the earache we would get from other fans for years to come. Saying that if its the case it is still actually on merit as we have a better record than our opponents over the same number of games.
Harsh on Fulham some may argue but looking at the fixtures on paper they have the hardest run in (based on teams to play current positions), hence have had the easier games so far and are still 7 points behind us.

I do hope the games are played and completed even if it is behind closed doors. These 9 matches will be like the start of a new season and the fact Bielsa teams usually start well is to our advantage. Confident we'll be the best prepared for the restart.

Saying that if it starts BCD I hope the last 2 or 3 games can be played with fans allowed in.

Strange times we may never see again.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Leicester White
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by Leicester White »

Arsenal never looked back from a way more dubious promotion https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... am-in-1919 ... here's to the next 100+ years in the top flight!
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

I hope the 2 options that ANS has stated are the only options as we don't want a voided season or that the EPL turns around and decides that no one will get relegated and won't accept promotion from the Championship.

Even if we do have games played behind closed doors i do worry about how fit the players will be as in the Bundesliga's first weekend of football there were a lot of injuries as the players were not training properly due to the restrictions etc

article on the injures in Germany

https://www.marca.com/en/football/inter ... b457b.html

I will be amazed, shocked and worried if fans are allowed back into games if they finish the season in June/July or August. In fact if they let people especially in the worst effected countries back to games this year i will feel equally the same.

The Rugby League here started last night behind closed doors and they hope for fans in July, even though we have only had all up 7000+ cases and 103 deaths i think they are dreaming and would not entertain fans back in the ground till the warmer months (September onwards) then at reduced capacity.

Until a vaccine is found and administered this virus will still cause untold problems for everybody.

On a positive though its great that some sport around the world is starting up and even though we can't be there in person right now, its an outlet to keep us all moving forward.
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

The EFL have said that the Championship will restart on June 20th.
Winner of the Europa League
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

NottinghamWhite wrote:The EFL have said that the Championship will restart on June 20th.
According to the QPR owner, the clubs found out 40 minutes before the story was announced. Not a single staff member, doctor or otherwise, was consulted beforehand.

Bristol City have come out in support but the QPR fella - Loos, is it ? - said he's not the only one to feel like this.