Graysons Gang - your memories

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Graysons Gang - your memories

Post by Selby White »

While we appear to be in shooting distance of a long awaited return to the top tier of the English Game I was thinking back to the low point of League One football and the man who started the turn around "Simon "Larry" Grayson and his team.

I'm sure many would agree the very low point in our history was getting knocked out of the FA Cup by a postman at Histon but will erase that here.

Saying that of course the FA Cup and Larrys team gave us one of the high points during our fall from grace one January 3rd.

Thinking about the promotion squad it was full of very good players at that level, a good few went on to grace the Prem but sadly with other Clubs.

So who was your favourite player during that era ?
Who is worthy of a mention ?
What are your biggest memories of that period in our history ?

Certainly plenty of players to mention but my choice was Howson as my fav, local lad comes good and all that.
Still can't ignore a mention of many of the others Kisnorbo was special at the back, Beckford, Becchio, Snodgrass, Gradel were quality, Kilkenny had talent, Hughes was a cult hero, Naylor Leeds through and through, I even had a soft spot for Ankergren not the most talented keeper weve had but many key saves. Was surprised given the fact that list above are special to us (well me anyway) that the player that started most games (44) in our promotion season was Michael Doyle, one often forgotten.

Fav match for me was the Cup match, embarrasing scum was special although the draw at Spurs wasn't a bad follow up, great memories. :thumbup:
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Graysons Gang - your memories

Post by Another Northern Soul »

For me, the lowest point was getting relegated in to L1 thanks to Wise and Bates. The Histon defeat was bad but TBH I half expected it, everything seemed to be conspiring to make it another Cup 'shock'. I thought even then that the match shouldn't have been played due to bad weather but it was live on TV, it 'HAD' to be played :P

I liked all the players then, they all cared about the club I reckon. I'd have Howson back now TBH with you, just as a squad player :)
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

I visited grounds I never thought I would Cheltenham, Southend, Colchester ( did Layer Road in 1971) Oldham, Gillingham, Tranmere, Crewe, Northampton, Walsall, Orient, Macclesfield ( league cup ) Coventry, Peterborough, Wycombe, Bristol Rovers & MK Dons. I wish I had a pound for every time I heard “ You’re not famous anymore “ I liked Simon Grayson & met his assistant Glynn Snodin on a couple of occasions socially, what a fantastic bloke he is. The trip to Spurs was a special day out & felt we should have won. Beckford, Howson & Snodgrass were stand out players for me. As mentioned in the nostalgia thread who’ll ever forget the Bristol Rovers game ? A masochistic part of me enjoyed the league one days but boy was I glad we got promoted that day.
Winner of the Europa League
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Yep Histon was bad and as ANS says it just seemed destined to happen.

For me the favorite game was the clincher at ER v Bristol Rovers, it had everything, the offside goal, Gradel getting sent off and them scoring. Yes I didn't see it but following it on Sky was amazing. I can't for get Charlie Nicholas's commentary.

For me Becchio was my favorite player closely followed by Beckford.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

I'm sure the Manure game is highly rated but to me the Bristol Rovers game is the standout even if I was 12000 mules away.

Was in the Cheers bar in Sydney with 50 other fans celebrating like mad!
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
lufctrav
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by lufctrav »

Mr Russell wrote:I'm sure the Manure game is highly rated but to me the Bristol Rovers game is the standout even if I was 12000 mules away.

Was in the Cheers bar in Sydney with 50 other fans celebrating like mad!
Similar experience for me. The FA Cup was fun but Bristol Rovers is the one i remember.

Leeds should've been promoted under Grayson but his inability to organise a defence held them back, as much as i loved him as a Leeds manager.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Another Northern Soul wrote:For me, the lowest point was getting relegated in to L1 thanks to Wise and Bates. The Histon defeat was bad but TBH I half expected it, everything seemed to be conspiring to make it another Cup 'shock'. I thought even then that the match shouldn't have been played due to bad weather but it was live on TV, it 'HAD' to be played :P

I liked all the players then, they all cared about the club I reckon. I'd have Howson back now TBH with you, just as a squad player :)

I don't remember Histon being bad, weather-wise ??
It's the worst performance I've ever witnessed and a new low, but I thought it was a clear day wasn't it ?
Maybe it's just my memory .. I've tried to erase everything about it, to be honest.

Love Jonny. Always thought he was a better player than Delph and I agree, I'd have him back now. Both of 'em :D
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

rigger wrote:
Another Northern Soul wrote:For me, the lowest point was getting relegated in to L1 thanks to Wise and Bates. The Histon defeat was bad but TBH I half expected it, everything seemed to be conspiring to make it another Cup 'shock'. I thought even then that the match shouldn't have been played due to bad weather but it was live on TV, it 'HAD' to be played :P

I don't remember Histon being bad, weather-wise ??
It's the worst performance I've ever witnessed and a new low, but I thought it was a clear day wasn't it ?
Maybe it's just my memory .. I've tried to erase everything about it, to be honest.

Love Jonny. Always thought he was a better player than Delph and I agree, I'd have him back now. Both of 'em :D
Nah it was indeed a terrible day weather wise.

All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

That's a blow, I thought it was a video of the whole game. :shock:
I once played against Don Revie.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Davycc wrote:
Nah it was indeed a terrible day weather wise.
It rained all day & was cold as well. ITV is ******** ****
Winner of the Europa League