If ?

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: If ?

Post by Selby White »

I'm sure some would argue differently but the way this team is playing I believe we would be strong enough to survive comfortably. In fact we would surprise a few fancied teams.

However if we are talking about competing near the top for European places then we will certainly need a few in.

Think we should be looking for new but quality players that will improve things and will buy into MB's philosophy. Don't care how good they are we build on attitude and any players we get need to believe in team before self system.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: If ?

Post by SiMamu »

Costa, Meslier and Harrison will invariably all be signed permanently (in light of Coronavirus finances, maybe the Harrison loan deal will be extended for a third year, but with a mandatory permanent option if we don't get relegated, or something). On top of that, we know that Bielsa is loyal and likes a small squad.
I think it could be said that we have a 19 man first team currently: Casilla, Meslier, Ayling, Dallas, Berardi, White, Cooper, Douglas, Alioski, Phillips, Forshaw, Shackleton, Klich, Hernandez, Roberts, Costa, Harrison, Augustin, Bamford.
And then several youngsters who are close to the first team.
Out of the 19, I think it's possible that these players might depart:
Casilla
Douglas
White
Berardi
Augustin
Douglas could probably be replaced with Davis. Personally, I'd prefer to keep Berardi, so that we don't have to unsettle the defence with 3, possibly 4, new additions. Leaving an older GK and a first choice CB. If Augustin doesn't sign permanently or extend his loan, then another ST will be needed too.
I would probably like to see another CM brought in, because of Forshaw's injuries, but I'm not sure how likely it is that will happen. Maybe someone like Delph or Max Clark, who can play LB and CM, could be brought in to replace Douglas.
Otherwise, we saw how we played v Arsenal. We can definitely already compete at the highest level - largely due to Bielsa - and so I agree with many that we don't need a lot of changes to the squad.

On a side note, these potential positions replacements would remain the same if we don't get promoted too (to try and counter any superstitions triggered over this thread).
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."