Blackout Tuesday

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Blackout Tuesday

Post by NottinghamWhite »

What’s this all about, seems very cryptic to me :roll:

https://twitter.com/lufc/status/1267760 ... 15362?s=21
Winner of the Europa League
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Blackout Tuesday

Post by Davycc »

Am a bit confused myself....
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

To raise awareness of Black Lives Matter.

It used to just say that in white letters on a black background. Today is called Blackout Tuesday because the message has been removed to show the user understands and agrees.

Some interesting comments below on that official LUFC Twitter account about Kiko.
Deleted User 728

If you're still wondering about all this, I think the graphic below sums it up succinctly :

Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

I actually think the "Black lives matter" slogan is wrong. By the very fact that a race is singled out somehow is a bit racist to me. It kind of backs up the view that "even" a black life is important. When someone just says "lives matter" it includes everyone no matter what race , religion etc.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
The Thrones Murders
Deleted User 728

Respectfully, the point of the movement is to mark how differently black lives are valued around the world and specifically to highlight institutional or even constitutional racism.

Rather than try to explain it myself, take a couple of minutes to read this excellent piece :

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/w ... 56686.html
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

rigger wrote:Respectfully, the point of the movement is to mark how differently black lives are valued around the world and specifically to highlight institutional or even constitutional racism.

Rather than try to explain it myself, take a couple of minutes to read this excellent piece :

I know, I guess I don't articulate myself clearly sometimes. I think what I'm trying to say is we should be at a point where no race is percieved/actually are viewed differently to any other.

That fact that we have the said slogan and the Take a Knee movement shows we aren't, sadly.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
The Thrones Murders
Deleted User 728

Davycc wrote:
rigger wrote:Respectfully, the point of the movement is to mark how differently black lives are valued around the world and specifically to highlight institutional or even constitutional racism.

I know, I guess I don't articulate myself clearly sometimes. I think what I'm trying to say is we should be at a point where no race is percieved/actually are viewed differently to any other.

That fact that we have the said slogan and the Take a Knee movement shows we aren't, sadly.
Absolutely.
The point of Black Lives is the same as positive employment discrimination in South Africa, as broadcasting diversity, as promoting BAME talent at the Oscars and as the Rooney rule in US sports.
Oh, and it's the same as the Equal Pay Act which was first introduced in the UK in 1963, yet still women earn around 10% less than men for doing the same job.

Without breaking any of these societal, institutional and corporate barriers by actively positive action, nothing will change.
Look at the FA.
Look at the police in this country.
Look at parliament.

If it means that candidates who aren't quite the best get better opportunities for a few years then it doesn't matter. Without doing things like, they'll never get the chance and if equality is the aim then that's a stage we'll have to endure to get there.

(None of this is aimed at you, Davy - I'm just trying to explain it more clearly)