The Big Kick Off (Part 2)

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: The Big Kick Off (Part 2)

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Otherworld wrote:I’m not getting excited, but am starting to feel very nervous. It feels like we have nothing to gain (I know that’s not really the case), but everything to lose. I am worried that we will screw it up again. A defeat in the first game could cause a massive blow to the confidence of the team, with little time to recover from it.

A win v Cardiff will certainly settle some nerves, though, especially if Fulham don’t beat Brentford...
This sounds like Pre-match Tension to me, mate, multiplied by 9 matches :D

I think we'll be okay, well MORE than okay, TBH, we have I believe the fittest and most professional squad, management, facilities and overall set-up. AND a brilliant recent run of wins and clean sheets.
dlw10
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by dlw10 »

I've not been so excited since, well, since the last game! We are football fans and we support a side on the brink of history so I'm pretty sure everyone is getting excited at the prospect of the restart! We may not be inside the stadium but I'm sure, as fans always do, we will come up with a variety of novel ways to experience the games and delight in the experience! Bring it on and let's get cracking!
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

dlw10 wrote:I've not been so excited since, well, since the last game! We are football fans and we support a side on the brink of history so I'm pretty sure everyone is getting excited at the prospect of the restart! We may not be inside the stadium but I'm sure, as fans always do, we will come up with a variety of novel ways to experience the games and delight in the experience! Bring it on and let's get cracking!
Spot on, and welcome back :wave:
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Nic
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Nic »

Provisional dates for final nine games revealed.

Leeds United’s provisional fixtures for the final nine games of the Sky Bet Championship season have now been confirmed.

The games will be played in the same order as originally scheduled, prior to the postponement of the league due to Covid-19.

Marcelo Bielsa’s side, who currently top the division, will return to action on Sunday 21st June (12:00pm) taking on Cardiff City at Cardiff City Stadium, with the game being shown live on Sky Sports.

The Whites will then return to Elland Road for the first time since March for back to back home matches, taking on Scott Parker’s Fulham on Saturday 27th June (3:00pm), once more in front of the Sky Sports television cameras and then Luton Town on Tuesday 30th June (7:45pm).

Provisional dates have been set for the final six games, but are all subject to change dependant on broadcast selections.

The Sky Bet Championship campaign will of course come to a close, with former Whites midfielder Lee Bowyer bringing his Charlton Athletic side to Elland Road.

The full provisional fixture list can be seen below:

Sun Jun 21 Cardiff City A (12:00pm live on Sky Sports)

Sat Jun 27 Fulham H (3:00pm live on Sky Sports)

Tue Jun 30 Luton Town H (7:45pm)

Sat Jul 4 Blackburn Rovers A (3:00pm)*

Tue Jul 7 Stoke City H (7:45pm)*

Sat Jul 11 Swansea City A (3:00pm)*

Tue Jul 14 Barnsley H (7:45pm)*

Sat Jul 18 Derby County A (3:00pm)*

Wed Jul 22 Charlton Athletic H (TBC)*

*Please note, this fixture date and kick-off time may change subject to broadcast selections
First two matches are on Sky Sports, I'd also assume most of the final 4 will be too.
Nic

Post by Nic »

dlw10 wrote:I've not been so excited since, well, since the last game! We are football fans and we support a side on the brink of history so I'm pretty sure everyone is getting excited at the prospect of the restart! We may not be inside the stadium but I'm sure, as fans always do, we will come up with a variety of novel ways to experience the games and delight in the experience! Bring it on and let's get cracking!
With the games coming thick and fast, it will be a whirlwind, with little time between games to contemplate or over analyse any losses. Lets hope it's like a world cup fever and flags and shirts are out everywhere.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Does anyone think the fact that 5 subs are going to be allowed is not great for us?

My theory is based on the belief our fitness levels are superior to the rest with MB's training methods. Part of our strength is wearing teams down and punishing them as they run out of steam.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Selby White wrote:Does anyone think the fact that 5 subs are going to be allowed is not great for us?

My theory is based on the belief our fitness levels are superior to the rest with MB's training methods. Part of our strength is wearing teams down and punishing them as they run out of steam.
Definitely a disadvantage to us, for the reasons you have mentioned.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

Barlow Boy wrote:
Selby White wrote:Does anyone think the fact that 5 subs are going to be allowed is not great for us?

Definitely a disadvantage to us, for the reasons you have mentioned.
Yep. And unsurprisingly we are bottom of the table for subs used this season. 91 made. WBA top with 121, so the extra subs won't help us very much.
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
Nic

Post by Nic »

Well it's 5 vs normal 3. So how many of our opponents always use all 3 and would use more? In the PL the 5 subs can only come on in 3 substitution switches (i.e. there will need to be double substitutions or half time changes).
Nic

Post by Nic »

To settle nerves, here is where we are

Fulham do have a mountain to climb if they want to get into the top 2.
If they manage the 1.88PPG they had before the break, they'll get 80, maybe they'll push to 82 or 83.
If we continue at 2PPG, we end up on 89, on our seasonal average it's down at 88

From the start of the season Fulham got 15 points from first nine games, we got 17 - a similar result would mean Fulham on 79 and Leeds on 88.