Terry Connor on Black Lives Matter

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
lufctrav
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Re: Terry Connor on Black Lives Matter

Post by lufctrav »

A few years ago when i was in the UK i went for a take away and was asked where I'm from, to which i responded 'Australia, where are you from?'
'Bradford.' he replied.

Was he being racist? Because i thought he was starting small talk.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

lufctrav wrote:A few years ago when i was in the UK i went for a take away and was asked where I'm from, to which i responded 'Australia, where are you from?'
'Bradford.' he replied.

It's all about context.
If you watch the video you'll see what I mean.
If you were both the same ethnicity and he was asking because you had an accent then of course it was just harmless curiosity initiating small talk.

The trouble is, you may say that in jest or you may say it seriously out of ignorance or you may say it to provoke.
Again, context.
It's like the conversation I had with a colleague when she - seriously - asked "What's the difference between calling someone a Paki and a Pole then ??"
Context. Intention. About thirty years.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

lufctrav wrote:A few years ago when i was in the UK i went for a take away and was asked where I'm from, to which i responded 'Australia, where are you from?'
'Bradford.' he replied.

Would say the biggest reason for asking where someone is from is accent rather than skin colour, just simply genuine interest.

But Rigger is right context and the tone of the question is important.

Around here many assume everyone speaking with a eastern European accent is from Poland as we have a decent number working in the area. However I've also been friends with people from Estonia, Lithuania & Czech Republic all whom at some stage or other have been described as Poles by those that don't bother to find out.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

You can add Russian, Latvian and Ukranian to that list.
I did some writing work for a Latvian on and off for a couple of years while one of my best mates is from Ukraine.
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

I've got a mate at work who joined us back in December. He's a soft-spoken chap with a great sense of humour. He's black and has a distinct accent - almost French but probably Sub-Saharan (Nigerian, Congolese, Kenyan etc). Anyway, picking up on his accent when he first joined, I asked him where he came from. He said Southampton.

If that's how he identifies who am I to question it?
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

When I first met my wife, in 2003, obviously as a girlfriend then, her brothers came round with a couple of mates, one of whom was black. He was introduced to me as Chalky.

With a cheeky grin, as I thought it was funny back then, I asked him why they called him Chalky, he said (with a cheeky grin and a wink) my surname is Chalk. It was only a few months back, that I found out his real surname is actually Chalk.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Saxon
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by Saxon »

years ago I worked overseas with a man born in Glasgow to Chinese parents. His Scottish accent was very strong.
One night we went out, it turned out to be Robert Burn's birthday,Burns Night, another day on the Scottish calendar which requires consumption of much alcohol.
So we got a long haired Scottish guy who looks Chinese giving Traditional Scottish dance lessons to anybody who passed us on main St, and nobody understanding a word he says.

Addressing Terry Connor's concerns. There's a letter dated yesterday on the FA website from ex footballer Paul Elliot, chair of the FA inclusion advisory board.
Condensing the letter, the board have created a code for equality in football leadership. A commitment to diversity and inclusion of minorities in boardroom, executive, and coaching positions.Hopefully will be embraced by everybody involved in football.
johnnysmiles
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by johnnysmiles »

I don't think there's anything wrong with asking what someone's background is... especially if you're trying to build a connection... a person's skin colour shouldn't stop us from asking their background if we're genuinely interested in a positive way...

However, everyone knows that the Orient starts in Leyton, East London...!